Dune HD Pro

duffbeerdrinker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for further info about the Dune HD Pro.
Does anyone know when they will be available - it looks like an incredible machine and I can't wait to place an order for one. At the moment, all I can find is a few pictures and the hardware spec but no release date.

Any ideas?:thumbsup:

The Dune HD Pro will use the new Sigma Designs SMP8910 chipset - but this has been delayed and probably wont be available before Q2 2012, but maybe later. Therefore the Pro wont be released until at least Q2, possibly Q3 2012 - and going on Dune's recent record on release dates it could be even later than that.

Mark.

Isn't there talk about a Dune Max 2 which would cost quite a bit less, also based on the 8910?

Isn't there talk about a Dune Max 2 which would cost quite a bit less, also based on the 8910?

yep, but it'll suffer the same fate as the Pro. It's the chip production/release that has been delayed.

Last edited:
and the Max2 is rumoured to have the 8910 VXP video processing disabled so will not have the same picture quality output as the Pro.

Mark.

indeed, plus there is the audio DACs on the HD Pro. They do look the mutts nuts. I took some piccies of the unit when I was at IFA - they're in here somewhere :)

I was promised a demo model should they materialise, but at £2k a pop I think he was blowing smoke up my you-know-where

Dune Duo & Oppo 95EU are as good as anticipated Pro imho, here, now and more affordable.

As good as Sigma Designs SMP8910 chipset looks on paper, big honchos across the pond are plotting for a while.
You may search for 'analogue sunset', it is not highly unlikely to get a crippled product, if and when Dune Pro materialise because of manouvres behind the curtains.

what? AACS has been out for ages and is pretty much adopted. Only HD will be allowed across HDMI (or other HDCP enabled options). Analogue is not one of those.

I dont see your point

Dune Duo & Oppo 95EU are as good as anticipated Pro imho, here, now and more affordable.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but I like the idea of having it in one unit.
I was VERY close to buying a Dune Duo a couple of months ago but there is so little information available I just couldn't take the risk. There are no good reviews available as far as I can see.

I have read that some people find the fan too noisy and this would be unacceptable to me. I really need to try one out before I would buy one.

Sounds like the HD Pro will be at least a year away! Sigh.:thumbsdow

I'm *supposed* to be having a call with Dune today, I'll try and remember to ask of expected shipping dates. But given the farce of the 101/301 delivery promises I'd take it with a pinch of salt but I'd expect June/July if Sigma can ship the chips by end of q1 as expected.

what? AACS has been out for ages and is pretty much adopted. Only HD will be allowed across HDMI (or other HDCP enabled options). Analogue is not one of those.

I dont see your point

I think he may be thinking of Cinavia the other DRM.

Word is that after Feb 2012 the Blu-ray consortium will be enforcing Cinavia on all future BD licensed players, existing models wont be touched just new players.

However what's not known is if this will apply to all BD profile players, BD Live profile 2.0 and 3D Blu-ray profile 5.0, some are saying it might only apply to profile 5.0 players.

Also confusing matters are that Oppo have allegedly stated they will not be enforcing Cinavia so how exactly they plan to do that is a mystery and not face the wrath of AACS-LA.

Thanks Graham. I see that my-htpc sells the Duo. Can you give me any more information about it?
I could probably convince myself to go for one of those if I could lay all my concerns to rest.

Last edited:
I think he may be thinking of Cinavia the other DRM.

Word is that after Feb 2012 the Blu-ray consortium will be enforcing Cinavia on all future BD licensed players, existing models wont be touched just new players.

However what's not known is if this will apply to all BD profile players, BD Live profile 2.0 and 3D Blu-ray profile 5.0, some are saying it might only apply to profile 5.0 players.

Also confusing matters are that Oppo have allegedly stated they will not be enforcing Cinavia so how exactly they plan to do that is a mystery and not face the wrath of AACS-LA.

Yes Sir, you are right:
AACS Announces Schedule for the Inclusion of Cinavia in Blu-ray Disc Players

there are quite a few Duo owners on the forums so can give an end user's opinion to the pros (and cons) of the unit. I'm not sure if I've heard the noise of the fans to be honest - I only have them powered up for less than hour while I test added HDDs etc so perhaps the fans havent kicked into overdrive after watching a lengthy film etc.

The software is pretty much the same across the Dune HD range, only differs where hardware adds (or removes) functionality

I'm not sure if there is a Duo owner's thread, but the Smart or Max threads should answer most if not all q's you may have but ask away on here and one of us is sure to know the answer

What gap in the market is this supposed to fill when you can achieve pretty much everything with a £200 unit? Is a dimmable display really one of its key features? (Indeed - who needs a display at all?!)

What gap in the market is this supposed to fill when you can achieve pretty much everything with a £200 unit? Is a dimmable display really one of its key features? (Indeed - who needs a display at all?!)

Being able to hold 6Tb of data internally sounds like a good enough reason.

I don't need that, but those who do have that option. If you don't need it don't buy it... simples!

My D1 has a display and I like it, again if you don't want a display, don't buy a player with display... simples! ;)

Last edited:
you can get 6tb in a duo now too. Its the better quality DACs and VXP processing you're paying for, better power supply, better shielding.

if a sherwood amp @ £100 will do want you want why spend £2k on a Denon amp? its just better quality components same as the pro

However, a lot of the higher end systems have offboard processing anyway and no current player has video pass through including the Pro

you can get 6tb in a duo now too.

I thought Keiron was talking about the Duo :D

Because of the comment re: 'dimmable display', I thought he would have picked up a bit more than that when referring to a 7" touchscreen :laugh:

Being able to hold 6Tb of data internally sounds like a good enough reason.

I'd have thought that buyers at this rarified level would be using NAS's and servers with RAID arrangements. (Hey, even I do and I only have a Dune Smart and WDTV).

I don't need that, but those who do have that option. If you don't need it don't buy it... simples!

That was the basis of my question...who really needs this? What does it fulfill that other, more flexible and considerably more cost effective components can't achieve? Does it really produce better picture quality?

My D1 has a display and I like it, again if you don't want a display, don't buy a player with display... simples! ;)
What is the display for? Doesn't it just display info that is available on the TV screen anyway?

I'm guessing, given it's called "Pro", that it is intended for commercial applications.

What is the display for? Doesn't it just display info that is available on the TV screen anyway?

I'm guessing, given it's called "Pro", that it is intended for commercial applications.

Well, one of the things the Pro can do for sure with it's display is browse and access music without the TV having to be on. It'll probably be able to preview a movie from the display before screening in a commercial/professional environment.

The Pro will undoubtely be fully 3D compatible and as Graham said the DACs alone are the doggy's danglies.

Having balanced outputs is also important for audiophile systems.

it's like having a Kia or Hyundai on one side of the spectrum and a Bentley or Rolls on the other. The Kia/Hyundai models are really good cars the Bentley/Rolls are more expensive, more exclusive and have a load of features the Kia/Hyundai don't have an probably never will.

I myself like being somewhere in the middle of that a Merc will do me :)

Read on forums that some folks managed with 3TB HDD and Dune, never attempted it myself.
However, the most managed from own experience was 12TB with Duo (2@2TB internal; 2TB external=>USB1; docking station with own 2USB inputs=>USB2 (2@2TB external+2TB internal). All NTFS formatted, worked flawlessly.

Can't complain about neither Duo, nor 95EU fans. Duo display is smallish, but if you arrange your folders not too deep, it is perfectly possible to navigate your flac files without external display (can't do that on Oppo).

Oppo 95 Sabre DACs are reportedly among the best in the industry, power supply fairly substantial, Qdeo processing more than good enough and 4kx2k capable, XLR out, Duo 864x chip still the best available.

Just wondering what 8910&VXP&unknown DAC will bring to top (except for a price tag) aforementioned duet visually and audibly? Would it be night and day difference?

PS Must admit I'm not hooked onto 3D.

Read on forums that some folks managed with 3TB HDD and Dune, never attempted it myself.
However, the most managed from own experience was 12TB with Duo (2@2TB internal; 2TB external=>USB1; docking station with own 2USB inputs=>USB2 (2@2TB external+2TB internal). All NTFS formatted, worked flawlessly.

Can't complain about neither Duo, nor 95EU fans. Duo display is smallish, but if you arrange your folders not too deep, it is perfectly possible to navigate your flac files without external display (can't do that on Oppo).

Oppo 95 Sabre DACs are reportedly among the best in the industry, power supply fairly substantial, Qdeo processing more than good enough and 4kx2k capable, XLR out, Duo 864x chip still the best available.

Just wondering what 8910&VXP&unknown DAC will bring to top (except for a price tag) aforementioned duet visually and audibly? Would it be night and day difference?

PS Must admit I'm not hooked onto 3D.

I just think you guys are missing the point. I don't think anybody is saying that your Duo/Oppo combination is better or worse than the Pro.

I think they're trying to show they can play ball in the Mid-High End market and they either come up with something really special and succeed or it will be an OKish unit totally overpriced which no one will buy.

Nobody really knows how good the 8910 + VXP are going to be, but I have a feeling Dune are quite confident that it must be worth the expected £2k+ for the Pro. The DACs will be Burr Brown, but no specs on those. I also think that there should be 2 HDMI outs at this price.

Either way I can't see myself spending that kind of money for it, but wouldn't mind having a realy good play :D

Nice looking machine in silver: http://www.mpcclub.com/temp/pro_flyer.pdf

Last edited:
Having balanced outputs is also important for audiophile systems.

Professional systems maybe, I bet noone could tell the difference in a domestic setting (I had a balanced setup once - couldn't tell the difference).

The Pro will undoubtely be fully 3D compatible and as Graham said the DACs alone are the doggy's danglies.

DACs cost about a fiver (literally), and they all sound the same anyway :D

Are we assuming that people will be connecting this directly to a power amp?

Professional systems maybe, I bet noone could tell the difference in a domestic setting (I had a balanced setup once - couldn't tell the difference).

DACs cost about a fiver (literally), and they all sound the same anyway :D

Are we assuming that people will be connecting this directly to a power amp?

Wow, really :eek:?? Thank the Lord I haven't pre-ordered the Dune Pro when I can buy everything for peanuts in Maplins :rotfl:

I don't understand why you are so against it? Did you have to sign a paper when you bought your Smart that when they bring out the Pro you have to buy it?

I don't get why you have to slate something that's not even on the market yet.

I will never buy one either, but I am interested to find out what it can or can't do. :)

Duffbeerdrinker fancies one of those, is he wrong only because you say so?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom