Dune HD Max Vision 4K

If I want a player with the best HDR to SDR conversion, is Max Vision 4K the player to buy?
Will be using it with a JVC X5000 projector.

Hi guys! Is there a way to directly connect the Dune player via Ethernet to the PC, in order to use the whole Gigabit Ethernets bandwidth? Or do i need to go via the WIFI router to the PC?
Thanks!

Best to connect it to the router to get online services and if you have NAS.

Hello guys,can anyone tell me which is upper limit of internal HDD in Dune Max 4k,i will buy this model coz it is almost half price than Ultra with small differences between them.Thank you very much.

That was the same reason I bought this model,

HDD is the same for all the players in the range zappiti, Zidoo and Dune. I think 20TB has been tested and was confirmed working on the Zidoo which is based on the same chipset

That was the same reason I bought this model,

HDD is the same for all the players in the range zappiti, Zidoo and Dune. I think 20TB has been tested and was confirmed working on the Zidoo which is based on the same chipset
Thank you for that information did not know that for software and those three brands.

Hi guys! Is there a way to directly connect the Dune player via Ethernet to the PC, in order to use the whole Gigabit Ethernets bandwidth? Or do i need to go via the WIFI router to the PC?
Thanks!

Just connect the Dune - which has a Gb Ethernet port to your router/switch.

There’s a new 24th Dec r17 alpha available.
I installed earlier today and seems good from limited testing so far.

HB
If you install that you lose the new GUI. That’s what happened on the last one.

Im now not sure whether you are meant to install it and then install the new gui firmware again?

Im now not sure whether you are meant to install it and then install the new gui firmware again?

That is what happened to me as well. I installed the last alpha which overwrote the new GUI, and then re-installed the new GUI, but not idea if it essentially reverted r17 Alpha. I would think so given each is versioned as "r17", "r18".

If you want the new GUI and My Collection that’s the r18 branch.

If you want the most up to date playback fixes then currently, r17 is the better release. Of course they will all be merged at some point.

HB

If you want the new GUI and My Collection that’s the r18 branch.

If you want the most up to date playback fixes then currently, r17 is the better release. Of course they will all be merged at some point.

HB
A very schizophrenic approach on which way to go .... is it keeping the old stuff or heading to the new more Netflix approach. Better start moving most of us are tired of waiting which way it's gonna go:rolleyes:

I don’t disagree - it has been far too long. However, they have stated that the final r17 version with the playback engine fixes/updates will be released first with the updated GUI to follow.

HB

I have a Cambridge CXUHD, but I’m interested in the Max Vision model for another room. Will this play full UHD and BD (BDMV) backups as good as the Cambridge CXUHD with menus. Will Dolby Vision play as it does in the Cambridge CXUHD.

The Android side, movie poster wall, other file types (mkv, mp4, etc) playback is not essential for me. I am after a good solid BDMV player.

Mark Swift has written a useful piece on the subject and in a nutshell players such as the Dune, Zidoo and Zappiti have to fudge DV playback.

I too use the CXUHD as my main player and use the AVCHD folders trick to fool it into playing my BDMV folders over the network. Plays DV just fine in this way.

Mark Swift has written a useful piece on the subject and in a nutshell players such as the Dune, Zidoo and Zappiti have to fudge DV playback.

I too use the CXUHD as my main player and use the AVCHD folders trick to fool it into playing my BDMV folders over the network. Plays DV just fine in this way.

Thanks mtenga,

As the player fudges DV playback, I think I'll look out for second CXUHD or a reasonably priced OPPO 203.

Thanks mtenga,

As the player fudges DV playback, I think I'll look out for second CXUHD or a reasonably priced OPPO 203

Perhaps addressed? From that article:

"

UPDATE JUNE 2021

A fair amount has changed with these boxes now (and Zidoo) so they now play these home grown test files which definitively allows you to see RPU response and of course as we all now know, no FEL video essence.

So they play MEL content in exactly the same manner as any UHD BluRay player and for FEL content it's only the difference signal between the 12-bit and 10-bit video that's missing - the dynamic tone mapping is still processed and used correctly, so no big deal."

----

Thanks mtenga,

As the player fudges DV playback, I think I'll look out for second CXUHD or a reasonably priced OPPO 203.

For full uhd bd playback then the cxuhd and oppo 203/205 are the best as you won't have no issues using the bdmodifier hack and the firmware does not have to be jailbroken (which I believe there is someone who has made it available) jailbroken allows for iso playback.

I sold my oppo 203 off and kept the dune as I rip my stuff to mkv and wanted the dolby vision playback from mkv which the cxuhd nor the oppo's can do.

An updated New Gui firmware was released on 29/12/2021. Applied without issue.

Have not played around enough to gauge overall stability, but some of the visual glitches I would notice when performing specific functions are resolved, e.g. sometimes after updating a movie, the My Collection view would show the left-hand Genres but the movies displayed were not aligned properly. That seems resolved. The release notes have plenty of updates listed:

Link:

...another NewGUI firmware update is out! That was quick. Stability improving - I'm becoming much much more comfortable with the GUI

Question for folks - is anyone having issues with mp4 playback, eg. they refuse to play at all? This happened prior to the New GUI so I think there may be a bug in here...

...another NewGUI firmware update is out! That was quick. Stability improving - I'm becoming much much more comfortable with the GUI

I've installed it twice and a number of the supposedly new features are not there:

• New GUI: In Movies/TV Shows sections, in My Collection subsection, "Continue Watching" row is added, which shows all recently watched movies / TV shows. No
  • New GUI: In Movies/TV Shows sections, in My Collection subsection, watch progress is now shown (on posters and at the top). For TV shows, the watch progress of the latest watched episode is shown. NO
  • New GUI: In Movies/TV Shows sections, when the cursor is in the left panel, "ENTER" button now opens "Show All" screen for this row (to move to the right panel, use "RIGHT" button). Yes
  • New GUI: On Global Search screen, movies belonging to My Collection are not only grouped at the beginning of search results, but are also indicated by a special sticker at the top right corner of the poster. No

I've installed it twice and a number of the supposedly new features are not there:

• New GUI: In Movies/TV Shows sections, in My Collection subsection, "Continue Watching" row is added, which shows all recently watched movies / TV shows. No
  • New GUI: In Movies/TV Shows sections, in My Collection subsection, watch progress is now shown (on posters and at the top). For TV shows, the watch progress of the latest watched episode is shown. NO
  • New GUI: In Movies/TV Shows sections, when the cursor is in the left panel, "ENTER" button now opens "Show All" screen for this row (to move to the right panel, use "RIGHT" button). Yes
  • New GUI: On Global Search screen, movies belonging to My Collection are not only grouped at the beginning of search results, but are also indicated by a special sticker at the top right corner of the poster. No
Had the same problem on a Real Vison but installed it a second time and it worked.
Maybe Try this

I have no idea why there are such inconsistencies when flashing a firmware, but I've made a habit to always flash the last official firmware first and then the new alpha build.

Had the same problem on a Real Vison but installed it a second time and it worked.
Maybe Try this

Thanks for the tip and just tried. But unfortunately still the same.

I would factory reset but it means at least an hour adding the shares and updating MyCollection again.

Took me a while to find what was displayed plus when and where. But it all works.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip and just tried. But unfortunately still the same.

I would factory reset but it means at least an hour adding the shares and updating MyCollection again.
Been out since 15.01 installed it then and bingo everything was in it right on. real vision 4K. Factory reset does not mean same time as before for installing everything at least not by me. Not as fast as starting up but certainly not a full hour almost 70 TB on material here.;) once all been scanned it stays on their servers i suppose.

Been out since 15.01 installed it then and bingo everything was in it right on. real vision 4K. Factory reset does not mean same time as before for installing everything at least not by me. Not as fast as starting up but certainly not a full hour almost 70 TB on material here.;) once all been scanned it stays on their servers i suppose.
I have 25 shares which all need to be re-added as favourites. Then re- added to MyCollection and then a scan. Even though all the movie have been associated before it still uses up some of my beauty sleep.

I have 25 shares which all need to be re-added as favourites. Then re- added to MyCollection and then a scan. Even though all the movie have been associated before it still uses up some of my beauty sleep.
You never gonna look like a Cinderella so that beauty sleep doesn't work out😋

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom