Dune HD Max Vision 4K

Hi can somebody post a picture what the smallest possible subtitle font size is with this model in a 4k framing? I heard they where pretty big is that true? Thanx

So I eventually manged to get SDR BT2020 to the Epson LS10000 with the HD Fury Linker (forcing the Dune to output 8-bit was the key), can even send HDR if needed, and eveything seems to work as expected with my LG Oled TV, so very pleased.....but I cannot see the Dune or the connected storage on my Window 10 laptop in the Network file explorer. Ive tried typing in the IP adress but it still won't find it. Anybody know how to fix that, is it a Windows 10 issue? Thanks

Ive tried typing in the IP adress but it still won't find it. Anybody know how to fix that, is it a Windows 10 issue?
Don't know why but needed to use the server name myself to get it connecting. Strange.

So I eventually manged to get SDR BT2020 to the Epson LS10000 with the HD Fury Linker (forcing the Dune to output 8-bit was the key), can even send HDR if needed, and eveything seems to work as expected with my LG Oled TV, so very pleased.....but I cannot see the Dune or the connected storage on my Window 10 laptop in the Network file explorer. Ive tried typing in the IP adress but it still won't find it. Anybody know how to fix that, is it a Windows 10 issue? Thanks
Try checking that dune and windows are part of the same WORKGROUP

Hello
I have been using the Dune HD Max Vision 4K for 2 weeks connected to an Lg77cx. To get the best results for mkv 1080 / HDR 10, DV playback, I set the Dune's HDMI range mode to Auto. In the HDR and Dolby Vision Settings menu, I set auto, so the hdr 10, DV, SDR contents are automatically recognized and the LG 77cx automatically sets the setting (setting memorized by LG for each mode. Thus the blacks are very deep and nuanced colors. I noticed that by putting in HDR processing mode: SDR BT. 2020 for BT.2020 video that the DV contents were much brighter and more beautiful than with Dolby VS10 engine for DV video. The Dolby VS10 engine mode for sdr video is ineffective on sdr contents, blacks are washed out and colors dull, so for the moment, while auto, HDR contents are sublime, SDR is beautiful and DV not bad, DV contents are excellent if SDR BT. 2020 for BT.2020 video. Does anyone know a setting for the Dolby VS10 engine for SDR video? Because I have tried everything, with this mode the SDR contents are awful ...

Can anyone confirm if this model (or any dune model) has screen cropping so I can make it fit a 2.35:1 screen?

good evening everyone
On the verge of reselling my 77CX, I have just found a solution for the poorly managed SDR ..... I force HDR from my Dune HD Max Vision 4K for 1080p (by adjusting the image), this gives a real a boost to the colors, while eliminating the tingling ... When the encoding is good, it is even difficult to tell the difference between a 1080p and 4K (Example Kong Skull Island) ..

1080p goes into forcing from the Dune [10bit 4: 4: 4 BT. 2020 HDR], the colors are more vivid if too much (after calibration) and the grain and tingling are smoothed without loss of details, it is close to HDR content, it is much more efficient than the Rec 709 with "hdr effect" of CX77 .....

For Dolby Vision content, I have a brighter and more vivid image using HDR mode instead of the VS10 engine ..... Dune's HDMI Range Mode, I have set auto, the colors are more vivid without being in the exaggeration, the blacks deeper and better managed with a brighter image (remains even of the luminosity in reserve in "Maximum luminosity" for the SDR and DV ....)

On the other hand, I have to do the maneuver manually, because everything goes to HDR, when it's real 4K HDR content I go from Cinema (User) to Home cinema (User) and Standart (user) for DV .... I have 3 different settings.

I just discovered this in the evening, so, now I'm hesitating, because going from a 77 inches to a 65 inches, it's going to be difficult .....
Now I wonder if I should wait to upgrade to a 77C1 (the C1 being a step above the CX) ....

I know that with Zidoo UHD3000 you also have to "tweak" as with the Dune HD Max Vision 4K with LG screens .....

If you have other solutions, I am interested ....

Hello, if I connect a Dune HD Max Vision to a 1080 TV, would I be able to play UHD ISO files (DV, HDR10+...) with correct colors and menus or would I get a worse image than if I play a BD ISO of the same film?
Thanks

Hello, if I connect a Dune HD Max Vision to a 1080 TV, would I be able to play UHD ISO files (DV, HDR10+...) with correct colors and menus or would I get a worse image if playing a BD ISO of the same film?
Thanks
The image should be close. No advantage getting that UHD though except being future proof.
On a 55 inch it is difficult to see the difference even with a UHD TV.

good evening everyone
On the verge of reselling my 77CX, I have just found a solution for the poorly managed SDR ..... I force HDR from my Dune HD Max Vision 4K for 1080p (by adjusting the image), this gives a real a boost to the colors, while eliminating the tingling ... When the encoding is good, it is even difficult to tell the difference between a 1080p and 4K (Example Kong Skull Island) ..

1080p goes into forcing from the Dune [10bit 4: 4: 4 BT. 2020 HDR], the colors are more vivid if too much (after calibration) and the grain and tingling are smoothed without loss of details, it is close to HDR content, it is much more efficient than the Rec 709 with "hdr effect" of CX77 .....

For Dolby Vision content, I have a brighter and more vivid image using HDR mode instead of the VS10 engine ..... Dune's HDMI Range Mode, I have set auto, the colors are more vivid without being in the exaggeration, the blacks deeper and better managed with a brighter image (remains even of the luminosity in reserve in "Maximum luminosity" for the SDR and DV ....)

On the other hand, I have to do the maneuver manually, because everything goes to HDR, when it's real 4K HDR content I go from Cinema (User) to Home cinema (User) and Standart (user) for DV .... I have 3 different settings.

I just discovered this in the evening, so, now I'm hesitating, because going from a 77 inches to a 65 inches, it's going to be difficult .....
Now I wonder if I should wait to upgrade to a 77C1 (the C1 being a step above the CX) ....

I know that with Zidoo UHD3000 you also have to "tweak" as with the Dune HD Max Vision 4K with LG screens .....

Skull Island - There isn't much of difference between BD and 4K except that the latter has a bit better colours and compression. HDR barely exceeds 400 nits and overall the improvement over BD is very very minor. There are few 4K movies where they barely exceed SDR territory (Knives Out, Once upon a Time in Hollywood, Alita etc.) The 3D is quite strong though.

The image should be close. No advantage getting that UHD though except being future proof.
On a 55 inch it is difficult to see the difference even with a UHD TV.
Thanks, it's for my bedroom. As I have the UHD disks, I'd like to just rip them and use one of these players with my old plasma without needing to buy BD disks.

good evening everyone

Seems to me you asking from a device which in perspective cost a fraction of what a lumagen or madvr is doing . You want vivid and all the other inaccurate saturation you have to go the samsung route .

Il me semble que vous demandez à un appareil qui, en perspective, coûte une fraction de ce qu'un lumagen ou madvr fait . Vous voulez vivement et toute l'autre saturation inexact vous devez aller sur la route samsung .
In that case, let Dune stop praising Dolby Vision, especially the VS10 which is supposed to improve SDR. Another thing: the HDR Always mode gives a prettier rendering to DV content. With DV mode, Dolby Vision contents lack brightness. My TV is an LG 77cx, and still not anything. The VS10 is not in focus. An HDR for SDR mode would have been more interesting. The VS10 is way ahead of its time.

Any news about the firmware update with the subtitles path fixing?

L'île de la Skull - Il n'y a pas beaucoup de différence entre le BD et 4K sauf que ce dernier a des couleurs et une compression un peu plus grandes. Le HDR dépasse à peine 400 nits et l'amélioration globale par rapport à la BD est très très mineure. Il y a peu de films 4K où ils dépassent à peine le territoire des DTS (Knives Out, une fois à Hollywood, Alita, etc.) Le 3D est assez fort.

4K, exemple: Teeth de la mer. 1975 remasterie 4K. Ou comme le roi Kong 2005 en 4K. La différence est énorme. Bien mieux en 4K.
Sur un écran de 55 pouces, il est vrai que 4K n'est pas très utile. 4K montre son plein potentiel entre 65 et 77 pouces. Au-delà de 77 pouces et même à partir de 77 pouces, le 8K est plus approprié. Malheureusement, 8K est bien trop cher.

Any news about the firmware update with the subtitles path fixing?
According to a thread over on AVSForums one is imminent. There is a new-ish alpha version available for download.

If you want to try it scroll to the bottom of this page and you will see alpha versions for download. Save the latest one (June) somewhere that the Dune can navigate to and it will open/execute once you hit OK.

I’m trying it and it seems OK. Raised blacks on DV content sent to a non-DV capable TV (even with the new option to switch DV off) is still present unfortunately.

HB

Last edited:
Master 2K films such as the ones mentioned, Skull Island or Knives out or Alita are very most of the time not amazing updates from the simple BR, obviously. Colors and blacks can be real better with a UHD version but the weak point they share is the definition. So, they look better just not incredibly better.

Master 2K films such as the ones mentioned, Skull Island or Knives out or Alita are very most of the time not amazing updates from the simple BR, obviously. Colors and blacks can be real better with a UHD version but the weak point they share is the definition. So, they look better just not incredibly better.
On a 55-inch screen, in fact, the difference is not huge, on the other hand from a 65-inch screen the difference is significant, even greater on a 77-inch screen. I can assure you that on my 77 inch I have seen a major. Originally, 4K was developed for screens larger than 65 inches, as 2k showed its limits from 65 inches.
What's terrible, 8K is coming, when barely 20% of movies have been remastered in 4K.
I have 350 movies in 10 4k hdr, 1500 in 2k, and only 4 in Dolby Vision. One really wonders the interest of the DV since the current panels are not equipped in 12bit. And this VS10 upscales the SRD much less well than the HDR, the HDR upscales the SDR very well.
The VS10 is useless. Even for DV content, Always HDR mode and even SDR. 2020 for bt ... Give much better results.
I really don't know what Dune can do with this useless VS10. It's going to need major updates to upscale SDR and be as good as HDR mode. We are very far from it .....

According to a thread over on AVSForums one is imminent. There is a new-ish alpha version available for download.

If you want to try it scroll to the bottom of this page and you will see alpha versions for download. Save the latest one (June) somewhere that the Dune can navigate to and it will open/execute once you hit OK.

I’m trying it and it seems OK. Raised blacks on DV content sent to a non-DV capable TV (even with the new option to switch DV off) is still present unfortunately.

HB
My LG 77cx monitor is DV equipped, but the picture is really poor. DV content is best handled by HDR Always mode. Thanks for the tip.

HB
I have successfully installed version 210625_1453_r17.
Absolutely nothing has changed on my LG 77 CX.
On the other hand, there is an additional mode, HDR 10+: it is useless, because in auto with HDR always it gives colors that are too bright for SDR content. To this day, still the same observation. Everything about auto is the most efficient. The only effective mode to upscale the SDR is HDR Always mode by setting HDR 10+ to Disabled. HDR always handles Dolby Vision content better than VS10.

Hello

I just installed the firmware alfa 210625_1453_r17. I did not notice any improvement on my LG 77 CX. HDR10 + mode is available in HDR and Dolby Vision Settings. There is even less HDR 10+ than Dolby Vision, it was really not that the most urgent. The Dolby VS10 engine for SDR, DV Video does nothing more. No more to DV content than SDR, black people are not + profinds. Conclusion on my LG 77 CX.

The HDR Always mode (unfortunately Dune did not see fit to put an HDR engine for SDR mode) is best for upscaling sdr content. It even manages DV content better than the VS10, with HDR always, the colors are more vivid without being in excess, with more brightness. There is also the possibility of setting everything in auto (without forgetting to put in the system menu, HDMI Range mode in auto and everything on auto in HDR and Dolby Vision Settings. Dune commits a serious error by betting everything on the VS10. should have done as much mode for the HDR. I have 1500 mk 1080p (blu ray, full blu ray), 350 mkv hdr 10 4k, only 4 DV films. I reiterate, the VS10 is really useless as it is, since that the HDR Always mode manages DV content better than the VS10. We must really hope that Dune will at least put an HDR for SDR, for DV mode, because to date, this is what gives the best result on a panel oled 10bit (largely the majority). The DV VS10 needs a 12bit panel which does not yet exist. I can hardly imagine the owners of oled 10bit 2019/2020/2021 screens passing by a future 12bit panel TV just for the VS10 for some DV content.

I really do not understand the choice of Dune, to bet everything on a VS10 which is useful and will not be used for much.

It seems that there are more settings possibilities on the Zidoo UHD3000 .....

There is also SDR BT mode on Dune. 2020 for BT.2020 video which gives excellent results for SDR, HDR and especially DV content, a shame anyway .....

Perhaps I missed this somewhere in the thread, but here goes...
I have a Max Vision 4K and am trying to play Dolby Vision files (.mp4). I have pretty much everything set to AUTO, and all other files play perfectly fine. However, the Vision files will start to play (and my TV says DOLBY VISION (LG OLEDC9) and everything is good. Then, after about a minute, the screen goes blank for 5 seconds and comes back on and says DOLBY VISION again....and keeps doing this every minute or so.....for the entire movie. Is there something I am doing wrong here? I have sent a message to DUNE and a dump.....but no response from them.

HELP!

Check with another file if this happens. If everything is OK in the settings and there is no problem with Dolby Vision, it is because it comes from the file. If it does with all the files, you should check the HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom