Dune HD Max Vision 4K

Got it sorted out. Even Dune Support put me on the wrong leg first. No need for index.srt at all.
The Vision in fact supports subtitles in multiple languages the same way with ISO and BDMV Folders. The problem they must be in the same parent folder as the main movie BDMV folder.

Example for Mymovies folder
Mymovies/
Mymovies/movie-1
Mymovies/movie-1.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.EN.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.ES.srt

Putting them in the movie folder itself:
Mymovies/movie-1/movie-1.srt
Does not work. Asked Dune to change this to keep folders and subtitles together.

Thank you
Sorry, I'm not sure i understand the example:

Mymovies/
Mymovies/movie-1
Mymovies/movie-1.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.EN.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.ES.srt

Can you please provide photo of actual folder to better understand?

Did they agree to change it so it be as in my attached photo?

Attachments

• index srt.jpg
    index srt.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 162
Index.srt was an old Dune single subtitle implementation and won't come back.
The subtitle name should be exactly identical to the Folder name of the movie for the string till the first "." and end with .srt finally. Works identical for movies in ISO format or in BDMV folders which is excellent news.

It is replaced by the universal multiple subtitle support with ISO 2-pos and ISO 3-pos naming convention for language tagging. See example above with 1 subtile without a tag and 2 other subtitles with English and Spanish tags.

It must be placed according my example given, which is one directory up your picture. I hope putting it in the folder itself according your picture straight replacing index.srt will be allowed too in the future.

Updated the example to make it easier to understand.

Last edited:
What is confusing about this? Eating makes the proof of the pudding. :)
No snapshot feature on this player.

The subtitle file naming convention is the same as 20 years ago already for my Philips DVD player with CFW and now for really all brand media players around. Just the place where to put them is NOT standard for BDMV Folders but for ISO it is.

Example for Mymovies mainfolder with multiple movie BDMV folders starting with movie-1:
Mymovies/
Mymovies/movie-1
Mymovies/movie-1/BDMV
Mymovies/movie-1/CERTIFICATE
Mymovies/movie-1.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.EN.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.ES.srt

Works just fine

But adding them 1 level down to the movie-1 folder itself:
Mymovies/
Mymovies/movie-1
Mymovies/movie-1/BDMV
Mymovies/movie-1/movie-1.EN.srt
Does not work. This is where all other players expect it by default.
Asked Dune to change this to the common standard.

Last edited:
What is confusing about this? Eating makes the proof of the pudding. :)
No snapshot feature on this player.

The subtitle file naming convention is the same as 20 years ago already for my Philips DVD player with CFW and now for really all brand media players around. Just the place where to put them is NOT standard for BDMV Folders but for ISO it is.

Example for Mymovies mainfolder with multiple movie BDMV folders starting with movie-1:
Mymovies/
Mymovies/movie-1
Mymovies/movie-1/BDMV
Mymovies/movie-1.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.EN.srt
Mymovies/movie-1.ES.srt

Works just fine

But adding them 1 level down to the movie-1 folder itself:
Mymovies/
Mymovies/movie-1
Mymovies/movie-1/BDMV
Mymovies/movie-1/movie-1.EN.srt
Does not work. This is where all other players expect it by default.
Asked Dune to change this to the common standard.

To make it clear... it should be in the movie folder, under certificate (but not in BDMV folder), like in the attached picture, correct?

Attachments

• External Sub in BDMV.jpg
    External Sub in BDMV.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 126
Wrong! That is the perfect example which is NOT working with Dune. Other players put it there indeed.
It must be put one directory level UP for Dune.

Inside the BDMV folder is one directory level down. which does not work with any media player.

Last edited:
got it! out of the movie folder.

Nobody (2021)
Nobody 2021.srt

Nobody (2021)
Nobody (2021). srt

I think names must be really identical? But again it maybe works too? Always use cut & paste myself.

Last edited:
I saw the new device and indeed the external subtitles should be saved outside the movie folder. Actually at the root of the disk.
It's really crooked, I've never seen anything like it on any device. Subtitles should be in a movie folder.
The path needs to be fixed, it's just a matter of the manufacturer's desire.
Other option it to allow browse to the external subtitles file.
Hope they will.

Already got a Dune confirmation this will be improved with the next FW update.
In fact can confirm the next FW update fixes it. :D

Last edited:
Great news. Thanks
Let’s see how long it will take but nice to know they cooperate

Hi
What are the correct video settings to get a proper image with Dune?
I saw the new Dune device in my friend's home and it seems that the image is not deep enough, the black level is a little low.

For some reason, the Dune info and the display show him 2160p, BT2020, 10Bit, 4:4:4 although the content is 4:2:0 (UHD Blu-ray movies). maybe this is the problem?

His video settings are Auto for almost all.

I have a JVC 4K projector, a processor with HDMI 2.0b means 18 GB bandwidth.

Thanks

Already discussed here:

In Android Setup also HDMI Range can be selected! Using 0-255 may lower the black level.

Already discussed here:

In Android Setup also HDMI Range can be selected! Using 0-255 may lower the black level.

Thank you.

Even though I use the Dune's internal player, should I change the HDMI Rang in Android setup to 16-235?

As for video mode, it is set to 4K 2160p 23.97Hz as the 59.94Hz doesn't work, no image, i guess that is due to the 18G bandwidth limitation.

For some reason there is no option for 4K, 23.97Hz and 10bit, despite all movies are based on this.

Set the Preferred HDMI color depth: As Content

I don't know if this is the cause for low black level or other...BTW, the projector supports only HDR, no Dolby Vision.

I borrowed the Dune HD Real Vision 4K for evaluation.
I connected it to my processor with an active HDMI cable and it takes the image about 25 seconds to appear.
Of course this is unacceptable.
I also have an Nvidia Shield device and it takes about 5 seconds for the image to appear.
Same cables, same chain.

An active HDMI cable is also connected between the processor and the projector.

Is this also the case with you?

Try it with the cable coming in the box.

Dune HD fires up with a 4kP60 picture which is demanding on the cable.

There is also a potential booting problem (described on previous pages). Boot it with nothing connected to the USB ports. It may take 25 seconds but then the boot is complete. No picture during the actual booting. You don't like long booting you can then use the sleep mode. Consumes very little.

Last edited:
I’m not talking about booting. I’m talking about the time takes the movie image to appear, from the time I press on play (bdmv lite) to the time I can see picture. About 25 seconds!!
The sound come faster, about 15 seconds. Very long too.
I never turn off the streamers...
And nothing connected to the USB ports.

I am using USB connected HDD's. Tried with an UHD/DV/Atmos movie and it took 12 seconds.
Dune avoids flickering so the initiation takes a bit longer maybe?
Try via USB to see if NAS slows it down a lot extra?

Tried also a few regular BD's and these all took only a few seconds. An UHD but without DV or Atmos took about 6 seconds. So it varies with the complexity of the source being played. Not a big deal for me once known. Added it to the review.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
Since then, I have unplugged and re-plugged everything from the box, factory reset and am now connecting this drive to the front port for a few days and finger crossed, so far no problem. I am using the latest beta version.

BTW is it the same drive you have?
The imminent Dune FW update might fix this issue for you? My preliminary tests solved the USB3 HDD connected during boot side-effects. When released by Dune I would like you to ask you be so kind to install, verify and report the results.

Last edited:
Since i last reported, the machine is running well without any issue. Sure I’ll try if there is any new firmware and report any issue found.
Another thing just come out that I got intermittent drop of WIFI and the player keeps telling me the password is wrong although I haven’t changed anything since initial set up. Reconnecting to the WIFI resolve it for a while but the player will inform wrong password again later. I am not sure if this is my router (Orbis mesh system) or the player’s bugs. Anyone has similar issue?

Last edited:
dears, how to change the font in the internal player to another (eg like in older hd dune D1 models and similar)? The current font is tiring the eyes: / It's dramatic :( Thanks for the info!

There are 3 options in Setup => Appearance => UI TTF Font
Changing the Skin you can probably change the font too.
There are a lot of skins also made by users.

There are 3 options in Setup => Appearance => UI TTF Font
Changing the Skin you can probably change the font too.
There are a lot of skins also made by users.
It doesn’t work.
Can you instruct the full process?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom