Dune HD Max Vision 4K

I really can’t stand the gui, I have to click on many categories to get to my movies, not family friendly. My family like the zidoo GUI. I do like the picture quality but I might have to ditch it and stick with my uhd3000. Unless they have an update soon.

I really can’t stand the gui, I have to click on many categories to get to my movies, not family friendly. My family like the zidoo GUI. I do like the picture quality but I might have to ditch it and stick with my uhd3000. Unless they have an update soon.
Who knows 😏 better be sooner than later

Any update on Dolby Vision output from MKV? I got loads of mkv rips from my UHD collection. Media Info shows DV layer on the mkv. Wondering if we will ever get this feature?

If you have plex server than the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 with Plex can playback DV in MKV and MP4.

I moved away from the Dunes now and wanted to start using my Plex and Emby server (as they do automatic cover art, watch lists, series link etc) I have them running on my NAS and the Nvidia Shield Pro is the best device for Plex and Emby and as it is an offical product with proper Android TV (not a folk) and DV license it fully supports Netflix in DV and Atmos etc.

You should be able to add favourites to desired folders

If you are mapping network drives (eg NAS/PC) then you can map it to the point you want it without going through the whole network icon and browsing the network location.

Dune has not updated their interface for a very long time (well over 10 years) but felt their software was solid compared to the competition but I believe that has changed now.

You can still do this. You can add network locations and apps to favourites (once at a location or app that you want to add, press top menu>add to favourites) and even have one of the favourites automatically launch at power on (from the power settings - I have mine set to launch Zappiti).

HB

Can zapitti GUI or skin be installed on Dune hd vision. If so that would be a whole lot better. Maybe I’ll keep it then.

You can still do this. You can add network locations and apps to favourites (once at a location or app that you want to add, press top menu>add to favourites) and even have one of the favourites automatically launch at power on (from the power settings - I have mine set to launch Zappiti).

I recently bought this player, and I like it, but the front panel display should have more options! Is there a way to turn off the always on clock? Even if the player is off, the clock still displays. Also, the movie progress display is unreadable from across the room. There should be a way to show only the remaining time left, like in previous Dune players, rather than the tiny screen with the file name scrolling all the time. Also, you should be able to disable the display all the way if you want to, right now there's no way to turn it off.

The clock is displayed when you turn off the player because it's not really turned off, it's just sleep mode. It's how it works, sorry I don't have the English menus: Parameters>"Miscellaneous">Power management>POWER action> Turn off or Sleep mode. As for what's left, I agree with your analysis.

There should be a way to show only the remaining time left, like in previous Dune players
You can still press the info button whilst playing a film and an information box appears on screen that includes both the played and remaining time. Not the same I know but a workaround.

HB

You can still press the info button whilst playing a film and an information box appears on screen that includes both the played and remaining time. Not the same I know but a workaround.

HB
Yes you can do that but I prefer to see it automatically on the display without having to reach for the remote. I’ve been asking Dune for this functionality for years and other brands have implemented it like Zidoo and Egreat players I’ve had in the past. It’s one of the reasons I prefer to use my Blu-ray player from Cambridge Audio rather than other media players I own from Dune and Zappiti.

Wow! It really bothers you that much?!

I can't say that this bothers me at all. On the very rare occasion I want to know how long is left a quick press of the info button tells me - I don't mind reaching for the remote! :)

HB

Wow! It really bothers you that much?!

I can't say that this bothers me at all. On the very rare occasion I want to know how long is left a quick press of the info button tells me - I don't mind reaching for the remote! :)

HB
I'm lazier than you obviously :)

It is one those value added features that helps to differentiate players. Often requested and with Dune for consideration, again!

I think the front panel display should either be useful (readable from far away) or all the way off. Right now when watching a video you can't do either. Also, why are they showing the filename on the display at all, I never forget what video I am watching, I only want to know how much time is left. Dune, please add this feature! Thanks. :)

On the main UI screen what’s the “movie” icon for? I would think our movie library would show up under that.

Does anyone know how to get support for a Dune Product? I have the Dune HD Max Vision 4K and somewhere along the line it stopped playing 24/192 and only outputs at 48khz. frustrating and the interface is not the best for sure! thoughts? suggestions?

Well, I just purchased this unit with the hopes that it be a good addition to my system for Audio as well as video. I use my Node 2i primarily for playing high definition audio but i really like the video aspects of this device. A little nervous how it will perform and how stable the UI is. The node is a great device as far as sound quality but overall the UI is not the best by any means and the initial setup was horribly painful when it should have been a simple hookup. I am looking forward to getting it. It just shipped out today ... stay tuned.
Follow-up... Movies seem stable and playback to me seems great. Honestly though i purchased this to be able to better manage my music library which consists of about 40k 98 & 192khz hi res flac files. I love the ability to have a video interface for my music library but so far this player falls way short IMO. There is no built in interface other than the HD player menu only option, you can't add audio files to My Collection, only video files. Kodi does not output to my receiver or DAC at anything higher than 48khz, the dune system itself seems to have many codec dependencies and breaks easily. I use all high end cables to both my DAC and receiver as well have done listening comparisons using the XLR outputs directly to my Tube amp which is what drives my main front speakers. That is honestly the best quality but i think due to the use of realtek it still falls short, audio seems a bit flat, shallow and hollow. I have also recently by fussing with the setting broke it for the 3rd time where the native hd player either using Coax/hdmi or optical will only now output at 48khz and no higher. Reverting back the settings in hopes of getting back to working state does not seem to work and now my only hope is to reset again which means setting all the streaming services back up again as well...

Overall i do like the player, not sure it was worth the cost, sound quality for movies is fine for audio files it's ok, but stability is a huge factor for me and ease of use is not even close to what i would have expected. Just my two cents... Not all that satisfied with it but will give it time and hopefully the interface and stability will improve with updates.

Last edited:
There seems to be a tremendous focus on DV, perhaps since it headlines as a feature. Much discussion on forums as well. Personally I don’t really care, my own DV material represents probably 0.5% of my overall collection. They are working on a better media centre and if that genuinely improves upon MyCollection then I might dip back in.

The last beta plays DV mkv, as much as I can tell. No problem at all on 40Go DV mkv or Lords of the Ring... I'll test FEL samples from forum.makemkv.com.

I'm getting a strange behavior when adjusting volume on my receiver during movie playback. The Dune player will pop up either the file list or the info screen, but only sometimes, usually when the volume button is pressed multiple times. I thought this might be a problem with my Harmony remote, but it does it even with the standard receiver remote when pressing volume up or down. I've used this same receiver and remote combination with previous Dune players and never had this problem. It's like Max Vision 4K is too sensitive to IR input and is misinterpreting commands not intended for it. My receiver is a Sony STR-ZA1100ES. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom