Dune HD Max Vision 4K

I have my Dune HD Max Vision 4K for two days now and I don't have that problem. I can control all other devices in my AV-set without problems with the Dune. Can it be that you have CEC switched on? The problem you mention shouldn't be caused by CEC, but I have seen some strange things happen with CEC (in other equipment).

Can it be that you have CEC switched on?

This was a good idea, but no CEC is not on. I also verified that the issue is with remote infra red, if I put a piece of cardboard over the Dune's IR sensor, the problem does not happen. I'll try the new beta firmware and see if things improve. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I tried the most recent beta firmware and the issue is resolved!

Last edited:
The new beta firmware seems very solid. Playback of everything I've thrown at it has been flawless except for a BDMV MakeMKV back up of Dredd that I have. Playing the movie from the full BD menu results in pauses every minute or so. Re-ripping the movie to MKV is fine - no such issues.

DV flagged files on my HDR/HDR10+ Panasonic OLED are still elevated and I need to adjust brightness to -5.

The picture quality is absolutely superb and still wows me!

HB

Last edited:
I've just seen that a new flagship Ultra Vision 4K model is coming too. It looks very nice IMO:

The price is not so nice - 140,000 Russian Ruble = ~GBP1,300 :nono:

HB

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with this player all of a sudden no longer outputting 192kzh audio files at that rate? all my highres files started outputting at no more than 48khz. it's a very annoying issue that i can't seem to solve. The only remedy seems to be to do a reset which is a total PITA. :/ Thanks!!!

I'm getting a strange behavior when adjusting volume on my receiver during movie playback. The Dune player will pop up either the file list or the info screen, but only sometimes, usually when the volume button is pressed multiple times. I thought this might be a problem with my Harmony remote, but it does it even with the standard receiver remote when pressing volume up or down. I've used this same receiver and remote combination with previous Dune players and never had this problem. It's like Max Vision 4K is too sensitive to IR input and is misinterpreting commands not intended for it. My receiver is a Sony STR-ZA1100ES. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks.

So I thought the beta firmware resolved this, but I'm seeing it again. Very annoying because I almost always have to adjust volume slightly when playing a video, and if I press it more than a few times, the Dune will (sometimes) pop up the info screen or the file list, and then I have to press the button to make it go away. No one else is seeing this? It should be easy to reproduce with any Sony AV Receiver remote (even if it's not hooked up) using the volume up down keys when playing a video.

I agree, the picture quality is flawless. Again, everything is 100% smooth. The sound is pretty excellent too, nothing comparable to an AppleTV 4K. The main issue I had with the latest official firmware was the screen turning black when modifying the values in the brightness, contrast, saturation, hue... menu. Gone. It works perfectly meaning it works as it should have always been working.
Nevertheless, the GUI skin is always horrible :]

So I thought the beta firmware resolved this, but I'm seeing it again. Very annoying because I almost always have to adjust volume slightly when playing a video, and if I press it more than a few times, the Dune will (sometimes) pop up the info screen or the file list, and then I have to press the button to make it go away. No one else is seeing this? It should be easy to reproduce with any Sony AV Receiver remote (even if it's not hooked up) using the volume up down keys when playing a video.
I’m no expert on remote codes but I would think you must have a clash - both the Dune and your Sony are using the same IR code for some commands. A close code just wouldn’t work - it either matches and is recognised or it doesn’t and is ignored.

Do you use a Harmony & hub remote? If so you could try the LAN IP functionality and cover up the remote receiver on the Dune. If not you could use the Dune app if you have a smart device (you’ll still need to cover up the IR receiver).

Harmony/Dune app can send remote codes directly to the Dune over your LAN and it won’t receive the clashing IR codes that your Sony also uses (if you cover/block the IR receiver).

HB

Last edited:
Im using an Harmony Elite and no problem adjusting the volume to my Anthem processor. So must be something to do with the Sony. I’m on the lower sister model, not the Max Vision.

I’m no expert on remote codes but I would think you must have a clash - both the Dune and your Sony are using the same IR code for some commands. A close code just wouldn’t work - it either matches and is recognised or it doesn’t and is ignored.

Thanks for the reply. I'd buy what you are saying if I hadn't been using other Dune players previously for years with no problems. I pulled a Dune HD Duo and replaced it with a Dune HD Max Vision, and am still using the same receiver and remote combination. It's not even the Dune IR codes that are the problem, it's recognizing and reacting to Sony codes that haven't changed in many years. I appreciate your suggestions about controlling the Dune through other means, but I don't have any interest in that, I use a universal remote because I want to control everything from one device, and it mostly works it's just annoying to have to press Info after a volume change.

One more bit of important information (Dune, hopefully you are listening). The volume up and down keys on my Sony remote actually trigger a repeat of the last command sent to the Dune via IR. So it's definitely not an IR conflict but a bug in the Dune firmware. If the last key sent to the Dune was "Info", and then I volume up several times, the Dune will send another Info command. If I press "Menu" and then I volume up several times, the Dune will send another Menu command. This happens with a non programmable Sony receiver remote, so it's not getting cached commands from a macro or reacting to misprogrammed buttons. You can wait a long time between the last valid Dune command and the volume up or down (minutes later) and it still happens. Hopefully that helps track this down.

Last edited:
This is very special. Could you try to move the Dune to a completely different location and operate the Sony remote to see if the dune still reacts on it? Are you using any IR signal repeaters, besides the one from your Harmony? Or any other system that uses IR signals? If so, maybe they influence eachother, get confused and repeat the last signal that wasn't confusing...? Can you try completely powering off your Harmony receiver (i.e. pull the plug out) and powering on again? I am using a Harmony remote too and sometimes (maybe once a year) the system gets corrupted. Resetting it completely resolves the problem.
Does the problem occur with other repeated IR signals too, like repeatedly pressing another button for the Sony (or another device)?
I'm afraid this will be a little trial and error investigation. I hope you can find the solution.

Are you using any IR signal repeaters, besides the one from your Harmony? Or any other system that uses IR signals?

No, my last round of tests used only the standard Sony AV receiver remote which is non-programmable.

If so, maybe they influence eachother, get confused and repeat the last signal that wasn't confusing...? Can you try completely powering off your Harmony receiver (i.e. pull the plug out) and powering on again? I am using a Harmony remote too and sometimes (maybe once a year) the system gets corrupted. Resetting it completely resolves the problem.

I've eliminated the Harmony as the source of the issue, and confirmed only IR input will make it occur.

So after some more tests, I've narrowed it down to double tapping the up volume on the Sony AV Receiver is what makes it happen. One tap, no. Two taps in quick succession, yes, every time. Down volume is not effected, I think it was me randomly pressing volume buttons that made it sometimes seem like down volume was involved.

I can do it every time now with perfect accuracy. Press Enter on Dune standard remote. Double tap up volume on Sony remote, the Dune will execute an Enter command. (Or anything else I press first on the Dune remote) A movie does not have to playing. Pause, Top Menu, any button I choose I can get it to repeat with a double up on the Sony volume.

Edit: I ended up making a special sequence that sent a meaningless command to the Dune, then sent an up volume to my receiver and assigned that to the up volume button during the Dune activity on my Harmony. Everything works as expected now, the Dune never sees two volume ups in a row without a Dune command in between, so it never 'repeats' anything. Volume up is slow now because its sending two commands every time the button is pressed. This is hacky and I don't like doing it, hopefully this issue will be addressed in a future Dune firmware upgrade.

Last edited:
You seem to have eliminated everything else, so it is likely that the Dune recognises "a long volume up" for the Sony as a Dune-native command ("repeat last command"). If that is the case, then it should be fixable with a firmware update.

Hi, I’m not sure I’m going to add some new insightful informations to that topic with this message but just so you know, all the DV mkv test files provided by MakeMKV via this page here do work 100%. No stuttering, needless to say. P7 MEL or P7 FEL DV mkv…

Hello, I have a very frustrating problem that I wish to share. I bought the Max Vision 4K through the official website. It was not working properly right out of the box from day 1. The video was excellent when I first plugged in the power and set up the system. However, after I turn off the player and turn it on again, no signal was output to my TV except black screen. I tried many times but still cannot get it back to work unless I factory reset the system, upplug everything and reconnect. However, when I turn it off, it cannot be turned on again and the same black screen appears!
I was thinking it was my TV problem because it's a 7 years old Sony 3D TV and does not support HDR and Dolby Vision. I therefore replaced my old Sony TV to the newest LG 65OLEDC1 TV which supports all the latest video formats. However to my great dismay, this does not solve the problem and the same problem happens! All HDMI cables were changed to HDMI 2.1 as well and nothing works! When I connect back to my old Dune H1 or Procornhour A500pro, everything works perfect in the new TV. Therefore I suspect the problem lies with the Max Vision 4K's HDMI output and think there is hardware issue. Numerous emails were sent to DuneHD and I have not received any help so far and the player is totally not working at all! The DuneHD CS is totally useless and cannot provide any help. Finally, they ask me to ship back the player to them in Latvia for checking but I checked that the shipping cost is almost USD400 and DuneHD said that the shipping cost is not refundable. I am left helpless and don’t know what to do since the shipping cost is more than half of the cost of the player. Can anyone here provide any suggestions? Thanks!

However, after I turn off the player and turn it on again, no signal was output to my TV except black screen. I tried many times but still cannot get it back to work unless I factory reset the system, upplug everything and reconnect.

Are you using the Power option were it completely shuts down the player, or the Power option where it just sleeps the player (clock is still displayed) when you turn it off?

Thanks for the response. I’ve tried both options, ie complete power off and standby mode. Both options resulted in a black screen and the TV says “no signal”

Have you tried this:

Quick Setting of Video Output Mode

The MODE button of the RC allows quick setting of video output mode without entering the setup menu. This type of video output configuration may be required in case after connecting your player to a TV/ monitor/projector you see no picture on the screen.

After pressing the MODE button you will enter the quick video setting mode. In this mode, pressing one of the digit buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 switches to one of the following video output modes respectively:

Composite/Component, PAL
Composite/Component, NTSC
Digital A/V output, 480i, 60 Hz
Digital A/V output, 720p, 60 Hz
Digital A/V output, 1080i, 60 Hz

To exit the quick video setting mode after successful settings, press ENTER on your RC.

After pressing the MODE and a digit button please wait for up to 15 sec. before the new video mode is settled.

The 5 listed video modes are provided only to ensure that you can quickly set up some usable video mode for any type of video connection you are using, regardless the previous settings of your player.

Yes, I’ve tried all these setting except the composite mode because I’ve abandoned it many years ago… I set it to the lowest resolution 480 and it still doesn’t work. The only time it would work is I unplug everything, do a factory reset and reconnect again. I can watch a complete movie and do anything provided I leave it on forever.
BTW, I can still see the player working with my mobile app and all the hard disks connected to it and their contents just no screen on the TV if I turn it off and back on again

Any devices in between the player and the TV? HDMI repeater, AV Receiver, ect?

I connect HDMI video out directly to the LG OLEDC1 and nothing in between. Audio is from TV to Denon AVR3400H through ARC. So I think the video signal should not be affected?
In addition I also connected two external hard drives (one 8T and one 16T) to the player through USB ports. I was suspecting this could be the cause and I disconnected them but the problem persists…😥

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom