Dune HD Max Vision 4K

redrx7

Novice Member
I just picked up Dune hd vision 4K, picture quality is better than my previous UHD3000. Is there any way I can change gui skin, beside the one that came with the unit?

HeadBanger

I just picked up Dune hd vision 4K, picture quality is better than my previous UHD3000. Is there any way I can change gui skin, beside the one that came with the unit?
That’s great to hear but I’m not sure how the picture can be better as it uses the same chip doesn’t it?

You can change the skin. There a a few more to choose from - Setup>Appearance>Skin

I have stuck with the default ‘Silver’.

HB

redrx7

Novice Member
I tried those and didn’t like the way it looks and plus I like the way zidoo group the movies series in collections. Some movies I can’t get it to match even when I put in imdb number in.

Sir QD oled

I tried those and didn’t like the way it looks and plus I like the way zidoo group the movies series in collections. Some movies I can’t get it to match even when I put in imdb number in.
For that reason the Zidoo has took a great leap forwards , adjustable poster info and lay out .
Dune is lacking more and more on recent movies and tv shows.

redrx7

Novice Member
Dune could be a great player, just that the UI is lacking. Kinda hard to decide if I should sell my Zidoo uhd3000 quite yet. Its got great UI but lacking picture details. But audiophile part is great.

Sir QD oled

Dune could be a great player, just that the UI is lacking. Kinda hard to decide if I should sell my Zidoo uhd3000 quite yet. Its got great UI but lacking picture details. But audiophile part is great.
Explain picture details ?

redrx7

Novice Member
The picture are blacker and more contrast. Some movies I can see banding on the uhd3000 and on the dune hd vision it’s not there.

Sir QD oled

The picture are blacker and more contrast. Some movies I can see banding on the uhd3000 and on the dune hd vision it’s not there.
Ok got it remember zidoo is always a work in progress and generally after time it get his quarks worked out that was no different with the x20 pro . It took a year to get it rock solid.
I got the impression Dune is letting it down for now in 6 months no update on their other models. That is a huge letdown to their fanbase and mine is ready to ditch. For now the Zidoo's got the upper hand.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Any update on Dolby Vision output from MKV? I got loads of mkv rips from my UHD collection. Media Info shows DV layer on the mkv. Wondering if we will ever get this feature?

Sir QD oled

Maybe when zapitti comes out with their new player, it will have the best of both world.
Doubt it , they are not doing so well in the current economic situation , so very niche products with no sight on any coming new models in the last 2 years. Small company with limited resources if nothing comes up it the next 6 or 8 months it's game over I'm afraid. Let's hope I'm terribly wrong.;)

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Your settings need attention on the UHD3000

settings , settings ,settings
the UHD3000 should be as good or in fact with more VS10 settings added of late should be fined tuned to your screen .

redrx7

Novice Member
Ive had the UHD3000 since Mid January and I been messing around with the setting. I really like UHD3000 but couldn't get it look the way I like it. Tell me what I should fine tune. Thanks. I also can't play any 3d ISO on the UHD3000 but on the Dune HD Vision it play just fine. Any thoughts?

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Ive had the UHD3000 since Mid January and I been messing around with the setting. I really like UHD3000 but couldn't get it look the way I like it. Tell me what I should fine tune. Thanks. I also can't play any 3d ISO on the UHD3000 but on the Dune HD Vision it play just fine. Any thoughts?

Read 1st page on my thread Zidoo Z10 pro / Z9X etc thread there are settings & tips there amongst other ......

Noonsa

Hi everybody,
I bought a Dune HD Max Vision 4K one month ago and I can't say it's a bad product, but still there are issues that need to be addressed.

- My personnal use is SDR and HDR mkv, or HDR and DV ISO.
The player is promoted to read DV ISO, and it works, well I guess it's not just the logo since the a DV ISO offers a different image as the same HDR mkv file. I don't have time for extensive testing which I'd love ideally.
It doesn't bother me to cut down an ISO from foreigh languages with DVDFab, reducing the size of the original file more or less, so it doesn't bother me if DV mkv are not read for the moment because streaming DV mkv are just fine in their HDR versions actually (no high bitrates), and I'm patient enough to wait for the best picture quality with the UHD releases anyway. My personnal use is that only DV mkv made from 2 UHD discs are interesting (typically "The Lord of the Rings").

- All my rips have been playing 100% smooth! from the small insignificant files to the biggest idk 90 Go ISO or 150 Go mkv, or 60 fps files... My apprehension was big about that question because I usually see any small scratch.

- The GUI if that's the correct name in English, is horrible. I found the black skin the best, but Dune is several years late! they told there would be an update soon, I really hope that's true because there's a lot of work and some competitors are leading: I just came from Infuse on AppleTV 4K, it's like two different worlds. Nevertheless, the menus are working great and are responsive like hell.

- SDR mkv files get a real boost and HDR mkv are just perfect. V10 processing is always disabled btw.

- In terms of bad news, except the DV mkv that is not read for those who still ignore it (the player crashes depending on the DV mkv, then a reboot is needed), I noticed that the image is sometimes, but still rarely, a bit yellowish or greenish (I need to test more files to try to understand it, if I can). Until now, it happened really with one HDR tv show and happened with one DV ISO, and to a really lesser extent with some sporadic other files.

The problem is that when popping the menu (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue) to try to correct it... here comes the main bug of the product. To change these values makes the screen turning completely black! which is not helpful to tune it!
If you get lost with the adjustments you just made, then you can't really retrace your route to a fonctionning screen using the values it works well with. The only option there is to stop and to open a SDR file since SDR files don't trigger that black screen error. That's excessively frustrating and prevent from nice tuning. I'll post an experimental basic video just to illustrate it soon.

If that can be of any help to someone, to conclude, since my personnal use is not DV mkv from streaming and that DV mkv is still controversial regarding its authenticity, and since DV ISO works, I don't regret my purchase.

Last edited:

HeadBanger

The problem is that when popping the menu (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue) to try to correct it... here comes the main bug of the product. To change these values makes the screen turning completely black! which is not helpful to tune it!
If you get lost with the adjustments you just made, then you can't really retrace your route to a fonctionning screen using the values it works well with. The only option there is to stop and to open a SDR file since SDR files don't trigger that black screen error. That's excessively frustrating and prevent from nice tuning. I'll post an experimental basic video just to illustrate it soon.
I have no such issues when accessing this menu. It sounds like when the menu is up it is somehow sending a picture that your TV cannot display. Can you also post your video settings so we can take a look?

HB

Noonsa

I didn’t mention it before but subtitles are supposed to be white but they are seen as light cyan, not genuinely white. I guess that’s part of the greenish package.

The TV is LG OLED55C9. Menus are french ^^
I made 3 videos (cropped with my iPhone, very hand-crafted) about:

- the black screen during which the TV doesn't switch meaning probably that the TV is not the origin. With differents files, the values for which it's fine or I get this black screen are different: it's not the same values from a file to another

- the LG OLED55C9 menus (sorry it's flashy blinding!), basically it's the pressetings

- my player parameters, changing the chroma subsampling didn't make this error disappear

Last edited:

Noonsa

Well, in that context I decided to watch Alita Battle Angel this morning and unfortunately I could witness a really annoying problem, one more. It didn’t happen before on other videos with some « flare » effects.

It seems as if these 3 problems (black screen when modifying the image parameters, greenish aspect, now this one) only occur with a Dolby Vision ISO. I tried an Alita HDR mkv to see if that flare effect is still damaged, and it’s not, it’s perfect shading.

I’ll reset the player, but it’s not like I’ve made any changes in the parameters... It starting to become a disappointment while it hasn’t been before until now with this new flare effect issue.

EDIT: back to normal... reading the ISO in Menu mode or Lite mode has been ok. I always reboot after some changes in the parameters because I’ve seen the player not liking changes on the go. So I can’t understand the basic reasons causing this temporary bug. Anyway it’s fine now 😒

Last edited:

Sir QD oled

Well, in that context I decided to watch Alita Battle Angel this morning and unfortunately I could witness a really annoying problem, one more. It didn’t happen before on other videos with some « flare » effects.

It seems as if these 3 problems (black screen when modifying the image parameters, greenish aspect, now this one) only occur with a Dolby Vision ISO. I tried an Alita HDR mkv to see if that flare effect is still damaged, and it’s not, it’s perfect shading.

I’ll reset the player, but it’s not like I’ve made any changes in the parameters... It starting to become a disappointment while it hasn’t been before until now with this new flare effect issue.

EDIT: back to normal... reading the ISO in Menu mode or Lite mode has been ok. I always reboot after some changes in the parameters because I’ve seen the player not liking changes on the go. So I can’t understand the basic reasons causing this temporary bug. Anyway it’s fine now 😒
Messing around in parameters of the player and screen are never a good idea. Leave player at default and make if you eye desire changes in C9 . The C9 must do the processing to get the best result.

Noonsa

Well I guess a video is insufficient and makes it that it wasn't clear enough, neither was the writing, but thank you 😊 for your insight: I don't think that changing 1 point (+1 or -1) of 1 value (brightness or contrast or saturation or hue) is equavalent to "messing around". In my humble opinion, when making the brightness going from 50 to 51 causes a black screen... that sounds like a problem with the product, not the operator ^_^ the rest is all presets.

redrx7

Novice Member
Dune hd vison 4K. On 3d ISO does anyone experiences background ghosting. Foreground objects will look fine but the entire background is full of distracting ghosting.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Well I guess a video is insufficient and makes it that it wasn't clear enough, neither was the writing, but thank you 😊 for your insight: I don't think that changing 1 point (+1 or -1) of 1 value (brightness or contrast or saturation or hue) is equavalent to "messing around". In my humble opinion, when making the brightness going from 50 to 51 causes a black screen... that sounds like a problem with the product, not the operator ^_^ the rest is all presets.
Agree avoid making changes to player settings .
All should be done via Screen .

HeadBanger

back to normal... reading the ISO in Menu mode or Lite mode has been ok. I always reboot after some changes in the parameters because I’ve seen the player not liking changes on the go. So I can’t understand the basic reasons causing this temporary bug. Anyway it’s fine now 😒
Oh good! It does seem that something was corrupted causing issues and the full reset has cured it.

HB

Noonsa

I knew I haven't been clear enough when saying "back to normal" ^_^ I'm sorry, it's back to normal only for the corrupted weird flare effect, it was very ponctual. The other issues remain, this black screen when changing a simple value. Happy to hear it doesn't happen to everyone, anyway, maybe Dune should not provide non fonctionnal possibilities, lol, just jocking, I'll just have to make do.
I came by just to share a simple Dune HD Max Vision 4K experience and I thank you for your welcomed help.

HeadBanger

I knew I haven't been clear enough when saying "back to normal" ^_^ I'm sorry, it's back to normal only for the corrupted weird flare effect, it was very ponctual. The other issues remain, this black screen when changing a simple value. Happy to hear it doesn't happen to everyone, anyway, maybe Dune should not provide non fonctionnal possibilities, lol, just jocking, I'll just have to make do.
I came by just to share a simple Dune HD Max Vision 4K experience and I thank you for your welcomed help.
I can call up the video settings menu and change brightness, contrast, colour etc. with no such issues. However, I do not have a DV capable TV so perhaps this is a bug.

Have you enabled beta firmware in the settings and flashed the latest one available?

Do you have another TV that you can try?

HB

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021