Dune HD Max Vision 4K

Sir QD oled

My Collection is the worst jukebox, they have not changed anything since 2016.
Correct , now very old school but the advantage they have against zidoo it is mostly very informative. Zidoo is lacking much information in that regard but looks the nicest of all three imo and is very up to date with posters etc. Ideal would be a merge of all three . Best media player that would ever excised ;)

HeadBanger

My Collection is the worst jukebox, they have not changed anything since 2016.
I tried it when I had the 4K Pro a few years ago and didn’t like it much. I’ve stuck with an old version of Zapitti on all of my Dunes (original Max, 4K Pro & Max 4K). Let’s hope the rumoured new version of My Collection is a step up.

I got in touch with Simon at Futeko regarding the dimensions before ordering and he kindly measured one for me (42 x 36 x 8 - also added to his site now).

It should arrive today. If all good then my Max 4K will be listed for sale in the classifieds here at the weekend. :)

HB

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Hello mtenga,

Yes absolutely

Hello Delucas,

that's what I thought, but it seems that Dune HD is one step ahead of the software part, to be confirmed.

Will have to wait for that one as they have to justify there £100 plus price diff compared to ......
only 6 months to wait for the new Zidoo Models i wonder what that will bring doubt new chipset though .

But if if Dune comes on leaps and bounds its good for competition.

But Fight Club has deff began between the two Media Companys .

Last edited:

sodesfeux

Hello,

New pictures from a Russian user

source hdtv.ru

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

Last edited:

gymnos

The "old" Duo 4K has the same fan from Noctua, it will do the job with zero noise for sure.

Anyway, I prefer the UHD3000 interior design.

Last edited:

HeadBanger

Hello HeadBanger

Here is a message from the user giving the dimensions of the Max Vision 4k

''Standard HiFi width 43 cm, height with legs 8 cm, depth 31 cm.

Max 4K is the first to be distinguished by the depth to the smaller side, there was 27.5 cm. Ultra as deep as Max Vision 4K. Well, they are all 43 cm wide.''

See you
I can confirm that it is a smidge over 42cm wide, 34cm deep (incl antenna, 31cm without) and 8cm tall.

You can hear the fan at startup but in settles down quickly and I cannot hear it. GUI is very fast.

Build quality is lovely and the new OLED screen is nice. The text is very small though so you can’t read details displayed when sat at a distance. You need to be 4 feet or so away before you can read it. There is no option that I can find to dim it, change what it displays or turn it off.

Music files that I have tried (mostly FLAC and a few MKAs) all play fine.

Picture quality from limited viewing of 4K and 1080 BD rips seems excellent and a definite step up from their previous range (which was good). I’m not sure quite how to describe it but it looks more solid, smoother/natural and 3D like. I don’t have a DV capable TV so 4K BDs are output (correctly) in HDR10.

Forced subs work properly in MKVs where flags are properly set (default and forced). ISOs seem to play fine (I don’t have many - a few music ones).

I’ll get to grips with it more over the weekend but so far, so good.

HB

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Hi Delucas,

We'll see if we have a good surprise from Zidoo as Markswift and Simon de futeko wrote on the Zidoo forum
It is impossible to decode EL layer on Profile 7(Blu ray ISO or BDMV) via realtek 1619DR and output them correctly. Because of the limitation of the chip, it can not be achieved. It requires two decoders, one 4K decoder and one 1080 decoder, And a DV synthesizer

From mirror !

lgans316

Distinguished Member
So guys will this play at least HDR10+ from MKV rips?

HeadBanger

So guys will this play at least HDR10+ from MKV rips?
Yes, I can confirm it correctly sends 4K HDR10+ metadata from MKV rips. When pressing info on my Panasonic it displays the HDR10+ logo confirming this. Standard HDR10 just displays ‘PQ’.

HB

HeadBanger

I’ve been playing around with this over the last couple of days and considering how immature the firmware is development wise it is already pretty solid.

Negatives so far. I have had a couple of lock-ups when exiting 4K MKVs that only a power recycle fixes. Auto resolution does not honour anamorphic flags on SD MKV content and it is output as 4:3. SD 16:9 ISOs are output correctly in 16:9.

One really good feature is that when the DV output mode is set to player led then the Dolby VS10 processor can be set to convert all dynamic tone mapping (for DV only or all HDR formats) at the player and output as HDR. A great feature if your TV does not support DV and/or HDR10+ or your AVR only supports HDR. [edit - see next post]

I’m not sure which of my 4K rips have DV so I downloaded the ‘Core Universe’ Dolby trailer from thedigitaltheater.com and sure enough it worked and all dynamic tone mapping was done at the player. [edit - I’m not sure on this as the video probably has HDR metadata so it is probably using that - also see next post re elevated blacks with VS10 engaged]

Upscaling SD and HD content (by disabling auto resolution) is very good and looks at least as good to me as my TV’s capability. Oddly anamorphic flags on SD MKV content are honoured when letting the player upscale.

I’ll post any further thoughts and findings when I can.

HB

Last edited:

HeadBanger

Watching again now in a darker room something is not quite right with the VS10 processor engaged as black level is slightly elevated. My TV is only HD10+ capable so someone with a DV capable TV will need to confirm if same happens for them.

Black levels are spot on with VS10 off and the HDR processing mode left at auto.

HB

Sir QD oled

New beta firmware just out.

I'll instal it at some point this week and report back but it's good to see that Dune HD are releasing these so quickly.

HB
Quickly is very relative ;) for the pro II it's already six months ago and it's time to update if they let it out their site it's definitely a goner. Reacting sluggish and the poster being outdated more and more.

HeadBanger

I've owned several Dune HD units and have always found them very proactive and have resolved all issues within their control. Obviously, where there are subsequent limitations found with the chip's sdk there is nothing they can do. I thought that the Pro II was in a good place and works well; what is it that isn't working? Becoming sluggish suggests something is not right - assume you've tried a full reset?

I did read somewhere that Dune are working on a brand new or updated movie wall for those that need this (I don't as I use an old Zappiti wall).

HB

Sir QD oled

I've owned several Dune HD units and have always found them very proactive and have resolved all issues within their control. Obviously, where there are subsequent limitations found with the chip's sdk there is nothing they can do. I thought that the Pro II was in a good place and works well; what is it that isn't working? Becoming sluggish suggests something is not right - assume you've tried a full reset?

I did read somewhere that Dune are working on a brand new or updated movie wall for those that need this (I don't as I use an old Zappiti wall).

HB
I'm in the same league regarding owning several Dune units and they were very regular with updates. Is it covid19 that let them down or something else to update regularly but the several reboots after lock-ups to get the OS run smooth(er) annoys me so they have to iron some minor issues out. Updating that Poster(info) and keeping it up to date is a must.

CarlyL

Novice Member
Hi,

A thread about the next Dune HD max vision 4K.

A device that seems to be a direct competitor of the Zidoo UHD3000 (Zappiti doesn't offer any comparable device for the moment).

I've had several Zidoo since 4 years, devices with good performance at an interesting price, the Dune HD and Zappiti being too expensive for my taste.

At the price of 700 US$, I thought we could have a future winner against competitors like Zidoo.

giphy.gif

There is also the Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo which seems to be comparable to the Zidoo Z1000 PRO... all this to say that Dune HD offers us 2 devices RTD1619DR at interesting prices.

We will wait to see if Dune HD will be able to better manage the software part and in particular the implementation of DV compared to the competitor.

-------------​

rtd-dune.png

akm-dune.png

dual-hdd.png

xlr-dune.png

dual-hdmi-dune-hd.png

vs10-engine-200px.png

-------------​

-------------​

Media Playback​

4K Dolby Vision & HDR10+ video playback: decode 4K video content in various popular formats including H.265 10-bit and VP9 profile 2 up to 4Kp60 HDR, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision

4K Dolby Vision & HDR10+ video output: output 4K content up to 4Kp60 HDR, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision with pixel-to-pixel precision to 4K TV

HEVC: play video encoded using the latest H.265 codec. 2x picture quality increase over H.264

VP9 profile 2: play YouTube 4K HDR content

10-bit color encoding: play video encoded using the latest standards, with support for 1 billion of colors

HDR: play video in the newest HDR (High Dynamic Range) format. Superb picture contrast and details

HDR10+: the most latest and advanced HDR technology from Samsung. More details in bright and dark scenes

Dolby Vision: the most latest and advanced HDR technology from Dolby. More details in bright and dark scenes and best possible picture quality

Dolby Vision VS10 engine: advanced Dolby Vision VS10 engine for best possible processing of SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision content

Standard Dolby Vision output: output standard Dolby Vision signal for full Dolby Vision processing on TV side (TV-Led Dolby Vision)

Low Latency Dolby Vision output: output Dolby Vision signal in the modern LLDV format (Player-Led Dolby Vision)

Video output framerate: automatic (according to the played content) and manual; 23.976 Hz support

Auto framerate: output video with original framerate to ensure absolute smooth playback for all kinds of content

Auto resolution: output video with original resolution for best picture via Hi-End external video processing

True 24p output: ensure perfectly smooth playback of Hollywood movies due to full support for 23.976 framerate

Flicker-free auto framerate/resolution switching: HDMI video mode switching exactly before playback start, not after

Professional-grade controls for video output parameters: detailed configuration of HDMI chroma subsampling modes

Blu-ray menu: enjoy full Blu-ray menu navigation or use simple BD Lite menu at your discretion

Best-in-class full Blu-ray menu support: support for BD-J, BD4K, BD3D, obfuscated playlists and seamless branching

Advanced media player: play video in MKV and other modern video file formats, including top quality 4K and HD with very high bit rates (100 Mbit/s+)

Video file formats: MKV, MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, M2TS, VOB, AVI, MOV, MP4, QT, ASF, WMV, BD ISO, BDMV, DVD-ISO, VIDEO_TS

Video codecs: MPEG2, MPEG4, XVID, WMV9, VC1, H.264, H.265, H.265 10-bit, VP9, VP9 profile 2; support for very high bitrate video up to 100 Mbit/s and higher

Video upscaling: high-quality upscaling of DVD and any other SD video content to 4K, Full HD 1080p and other HD resolutions

3D video: play all popular 3D video formats, including MVC (BD3D ISO), Side-by-Side, Top-and-Bottom

HLS: ensure the best quality of Internet video using Apple HLS adaptive bitrate streaming protocol

DASH: get access to the newest Internet video services using MPEG-DASH adaptive bitrate streaming protocol

-------------
HD audio: output HD audio to your A/V receiver

Hi-End music: play music files in various Hi-End audio formats: 192/24, FLAC, Monkey's Audio APE, WAV/PCM, Super Audio CD (stereo and multichannel), etc

Super Audio CD: play top quality SACD music files in various formats (stereo and multichannel)

Audio codecs: MPEG-1/2 layer I/II/III, AAC, LPCM, FLAC, multichannel FLAC, Vorbis, WavPack, APE (Monkey's Audio), ALAC (Apple lossless), SACD DSD (stereo), AC3, DTS

Audio file formats: MP3, MPA, M4A, AAC, WAV, FLAC, Ogg/Vorbis, WavPack, APE (Monkey's Audio), ALAC (Apple lossless), SACD ISO, SACD DSF, SACD DFF, AC3, DTS, DTS-WAV

-------------​

Package Contents​

Dune HD Max Vision 4K x1

Dune HD Premium IR Remote x1

Dune HD BT AirMouse Remote x1

Wi-Fi antennas x2

Bluetooth antenna x1

Batteries AAA x4

PC power cord EU plug x1

PC power cord US plug x1

HDMI cable x1

Quick installation guide x1

19" rack mounting brackets x2

Set of screws for 19" rack mounting brackets x1

Set of screws for installing 3.5" HDD into rear HDD slot x1

Set of screws for installing 2.5" HDD into rear HDD slot x1

-------------

Here is a picture of the inside of the Max Vision 4K, according to Wissense.

This seems to be a prototype or a pre-production model with the Noctua and the interior finish.

139989271-1116005512167488-348045630199943485-n.jpg

-------------

Work in progress
Well, I just purchased this unit with the hopes that it be a good addition to my system for Audio as well as video. I use my Node 2i primarily for playing high definition audio but i really like the video aspects of this device. A little nervous how it will perform and how stable the UI is. The node is a great device as far as sound quality but overall the UI is not the best by any means and the initial setup was horribly painful when it should have been a simple hookup. I am looking forward to getting it. It just shipped out today ... stay tuned.

HeadBanger

Well, I just purchased this unit with the hopes that it be a good addition to my system for Audio as well as video. I use my Node 2i primarily for playing high definition audio but i really like the video aspects of this device. A little nervous how it will perform and how stable the UI is. The node is a great device as far as sound quality but overall the UI is not the best by any means and the initial setup was horribly painful when it should have been a simple hookup. I am looking forward to getting it. It just shipped out today ... stay tuned.
Congrats! Please do post your feedback.

Mine has been pretty solid other than elevated blacks when playing any DV content. Using the Dune’s picture controls I have to lower the brightness to ~45 to correct it. This is with a HDR10+ only TV.

I have reported this to Dune HD but there has not been a firmware fix yet.

HB

Last edited:

Wissense

Standard Member
Hello
I have problem Dune Max Vision 4 K can not play film on Netflix ?
Does has anyone know this issue ?

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Hello
My Dune HD Max Vision 4k can not play movies on Netflix ?
Does anyone know this issue ?

Its been reported & well known issue .

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021