Dune HD Max Vision 4K

walstib

If you play these UHD ISO DV back from NAS , do you experience any random stuttering or audio dropout?

no - playback is perfect. i have the house (key rooms) wired with Cat7/GigE; Wifi however can't do 4K for me unless it's streaming, which is overly compressed and can't touch UHD quality (my opinion of course).

I can easily push 112MB/s over my current wired ethernet using SMB 3 (Ubuntu 18.04 -> Windows 11, MacOS, and Dune clients); since most other folks in the home are using wifi (we have a mesh network) it does not compete with wired. I've been able to do two UHD streams on wired without issue to two separate devices - have not tried a third so don't know at what point I saturate the line.

--

someone asked about recording - I've no idea honestly. not something I am interested in...

Last edited:

walstib

New 220317 FW for all models. Many fixes and some nice new/improved features.
The install went a bit different this time for me on my 4K Max. It went to a black screen, I had to physically unplug the device, and plugging it back in, it continued to install the firmware. All is well after - but made me panic that I had bricked the device.

Nice Monkey

The install went a bit different this time for me on my 4K Max. It went to a black screen, I had to physically unplug the device, and plugging it back in, it continued to install the firmware. All is well after - but made me panic that I had bricked the device.
Yes that must have been scary. Seen this also occasionally with my Android players. The install process is definitely not bulletproof.

First time I found an Android HDMI-CEC implementation actually working with my TV+AMP.

Last edited:

walstib

Anyone know where/how to submit feature requests?

For TV Series, "Season 0" is used for specials. Dune does not seem to treat it this way.

wltc

Novice Member
Some movie posters are wrong in this new firmware and you cannot change them. To name a few:
Finding Dory
Edge of Tomorrow
….

manifesto1969

Some movie posters are wrong in this new firmware and you cannot change them. To name a few:
Finding Dory
Edge of Tomorrow
….
I have both as these as 3D movies and on the latest New GUI firmware they have scraped correctly ie posters and other info is correct. Are you movie filenames correctly formatted?

wltc

Novice Member
good for you. The movie info is correct but the posters display is weird. Finding Dory displayed some weird and dark images of two guys. I even used the IMDB number to search the correct poster but the result is the same. Nothing I can do to change the movie poster...

manifesto1969

good for you. The movie info is correct but the posters display is weird. Finding Dory displayed some weird and dark images of two guys. I even used the IMDB number to search the correct poster but the result is the same. Nothing I can do to change the movie poster...
Strange - maybe a reinstallation of the firmware will fix the issue?

walstib

for movies that can't be found in their database, is there a way to set a "generic" poster and at least a movie title?

wltc

Novice Member
for movies that can't be found in their database, is there a way to set a "generic" poster and at least a movie title?
I experienced the same. Don’t think there is any solution not sure if anyone can help here.
BTW, attaching some wrong posters as mentioned before.

Attachments

• 9937DD54-527B-4D28-8EF9-4C217B2F17C4.jpeg
    9937DD54-527B-4D28-8EF9-4C217B2F17C4.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 272073DC-F7DF-4ACF-813C-B99AFCC26B80.jpeg
    272073DC-F7DF-4ACF-813C-B99AFCC26B80.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 38

mtenga

Distinguished Member
No there are no generic posters or load your own. Hopefully this might come in future updates.

Me personally, I don’t load personal vids so have got the whole of the IMDb to choose from and am golden bar one, Doomwatch Winter Angel (1999), which won’t return a poster for some reason. My other 2000+ plus movies all have posters as do all of my TV Series.

Sir QD oled

No there are no generic posters or load your own. Hopefully this might come in future updates.

Me personally, I don’t load personal vids so have got the whole of the IMDb to choose from and am golden bar one, Doomwatch Winter Angel (1999), which won’t return a poster for some reason. My other 2000+ plus movies all have posters as do all of my TV Series.
Some new tv series like Life after life BBC 2 and Julia HBO aren't also included in the poster section. From time to time they upload a minor update on that particular issue. Just keep posting missing posters maybe they read it;)

walstib

It's rare that I don't find a match for a movie (obviously personal movies I would not expect any match) - however - as a "media center', they should allow a generic "match" and let you at least specify the title and some generic poster.

The matches I can't find are largely shall we say movies that tend towards the "adult" genre - some of the "classics" released by Vinegar Syndrome for example ;)

Would be great if it were possible to export the database - assuming it was plain text, then edit, and re-import it. Perhaps if that were possible I could implement any "tagging" I wanted.

--

EDIT: looks like the roadmap potentially will cover this:
  • New functions for My Collection: media info tags (4K, ATMOS, etc), user-editable movie information, etc.

Last edited:

AVMasterGen22

Novice Member
Hello - interested in this model but haven't come across any reviews on its performance as a music player. Does anyone use Dune HD Max Vision to connect with speakers to listen to music? How does it compare with products such as Cambridge Audio's CXN or Lumin D2? Thanks!

walstib

Hello - interested in this model but haven't come across any reviews on its performance as a music player. Does anyone use Dune HD Max Vision to connect with speakers to listen to music? How does it compare with products such as Cambridge Audio's CXN or Lumin D2? Thanks!

Depends on whether or not your an "audio purist" to some degree :) For Audio, I continue to use JRiver Media Center as it supports every audio type and integrates well with external USB DACs - I have an exaSound 8 channel DSD DAC and a lot of pure DSD audio.

My opinion however is that the Dune is a fine audio player for majority of folks, for PCM based audio and it even converts DSD to PCM, has a very good audio DAC internally (you can check their web site for the exact DAC used).

I don't connect directly to speakers but feed a Marantz av8805 pre/pro further into two conrad johnson AMPs for full 7.1 audio. I don't know much about the other products you mention, so can't comment. You can use analog (RCA) output or HDMI, though if I recall that varies depending on the model Dune you use.

Unfortunately I've never seen the Dune locally to audition which is ideal if you are into audio, but I took a chance on it largely for video and I find it great if not excellent. In fact purchasing another for another room in the house.

gasj

Novice Member
Hi everyone,
I would like to ask you if dune vision 4k had any changes with the subtitles options with the new firmwares.
To be more specific
1)Can you add a subtitle that is in a different folder or with a different name?
2)Can you download subtitles in two different languages?
3)Does it save the downloaded subtitle in the folder of the movie?
Thank you

Nice Monkey

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask you if dune vision 4k had any changes with the subtitles options with the new firmwares.
To be more specific
1)Can you add a subtitle that is in a different folder or with a different name?
2)Can you download subtitles in two different languages?
3)Does it save the downloaded subtitle in the folder of the movie?
Thank you
Very short: No, No and No.
Get a Zidoo if you want this now: Yes, Unlimited as selected and Yes

gasj

Novice Member
Very short: No, No and No.
Get a Zidoo if you want this now: Yes, Unlimited as select
Thank you for the reply!
I have Zido z9x but i was looking for a player with a more stable Bluray menu support....
Do they plan to add those features in the future?
Also do you happen to know if dune vision has deinterlacing methods (like bob etc) like the old dune base 3d had?

Last edited:

Nice Monkey

Yes to have it all you need more than one player. Use normally my Zidoo's but for Menu troubles use Dune and for DVD-Audio/SACD MCH Music my OPPO.

De-interlacing is done by the HW and as both use the same SOC I very much doubt it is any better. Dune never tells me their plans. It is awfully silent from that source anyway.

walstib

Been a while since a firmware update. So far the March firmware has been pretty stable for me. On occasion, I have some weird HDMI issues which I don't think are on Dune but rather on my Marantz as their latest firmware seems to alleviate the problem.

I am hoping Dune will allow editing of individual titles when the scraper can't find anything; would also be nice to be able to adjust cover art.

Anyone else noticing any stability issues with the latest beta?

Sir QD oled

Been a while since a firmware update. So far the March firmware has been pretty stable for me. On occasion, I have some weird HDMI issues which I don't think are on Dune but rather on my Marantz as their latest firmware seems to alleviate the problem.

I am hoping Dune will allow editing of individual titles when the scraper can't find anything; would also be nice to be able to adjust cover art.

Anyone else noticing any stability issues with the latest beta?
Pretty solid here, no issues, but like you said, time to end the alpha firmware and move on.
Maybe the recent war has brought some delays and other inconvenience.

Last edited:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Maybe the recent war has brought.some delays and other inconvenience.
I don't see what Rebekah Vardy and Collen Rooney have to do with this?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand