Dune HD Max Vision 4K

mtenga

Distinguished Member

manifesto1969

@mtenga - well..... no response from Futeko - so I've taken the plunge and bought off of amazon.de
They only had 12 and were selling at one-a-day and so thought best to get in quick.
At £320 cheaper than the Zappiti Neo I couldn't justify buying the Zappiti.

I'm just hoping that Dune continue to mature their New GUI for the next 12 months to at least get to, but hopefully, surpass Zappiti's GUI (movie wall).

Not had a Dune for a long time - but I recall them being pretty rock-steady - especially the Dune H1.

If this is/going to be as bullet proof as previous models I'll be a happy customer - especially as it will only be used to play 3D, HD, 4K and MKVs movies plus TV series in MKV.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
@mtenga - well..... no response from Futeko - so I've taken the plunge and bought off of amazon.de
They only had 12 and were selling at one-a-day and so thought best to get in quick.
At £320 cheaper than the Zappiti Neo I couldn't justify buying the Zappiti.

I'm just hoping that Dune continue to mature their New GUI for the next 12 months to at least get to, but hopefully, surpass Zappiti's GUI (movie wall).

Not had a Dune for a long time - but I recall them being pretty rock-steady - especially the Dune H1.

If this is/going to be as bullet proof as previous models I'll be a happy customer - especially as it will only be used to play 3D, HD, 4K and MKVs movies plus TV series in MKV.
Welcome to the club!

I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased, I much prefer this device to the Zappiti Neo I previously had not so long ago. It is really shaping up into something good and is my preferred choice. Supply issues aside, that is!

walstib

someone asked what's still missing from the GUI... really, I can't think of much other than the ability to customize things a bit, badges (eg. 4K, HDR, DolbyAtmos, etc...) and for those titles not in their database - there are some - the ability to manually edit information.

I wishI could not show seasons of shows I don't have (yet), but can't figure out how to do that. Instead, all seasons listed always. Not a big deal. I have started muxing my disc backups of TV shows into individual episodes, but wrote a nice Python program to make it semi-automated for me based on my JRiver Media Center library, and using MKVToolsNix to do the muxing from the correct MPLS files. Anyway - long way to say - TV Shows I will have both backups and the re-muxed into MKV episodes. Movies - the Dune is perfect - full backups for me always....

also - the stability of this latest release for me is much improved. so far, no crashes. prior releases always crashed at some point. with great DolbyVision support, this is a fine device (I have the 4K Max).

Last edited:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I’d like the ability to add my own posters and also better sort options. I don’t like the fact The Matrix appears under T rather than M etc… But yes it is really getting there. For your own TV series you should select play at the top, rather than seasons. Works for me.

walstib

+1 on the ability to select my own posters - either from file or from e.g. TMDB.

I do like how movie series are grouped, but would also like ability to "ungroup" or rather a view of not grouped. Maybe it's there and I have to dig a bit.

Also - roger that on "select Play". thought I tried and didn't do what I thought but will give it a go later.

-

I haven't checked, but curious - and I should have: does Dune store any "cloud" version of my database or is it 100% local? and if I purchase a second Dune (likely given my experience so far), can it just use the DB I've already created on my other device? don't even need to share - I'll take the pain of updating two DBs if needed via Collections Management.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Sadly you do have to update the two players separately, unlike with Zappiti where you update the “account” once for multiple players. However, it’s no big deal because once you have confirmed association on the first Dune player the second will recognise this confirmation after you’ve done the identification on it. So the association is saved on the Dune database and that saves a bit of time on player 2.

manifesto1969

Is there a way to reorder the categories on the left hand side of the New GUI. My folders I have added are at the bottom. Would love them at the top....
Thanks

Last edited:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Is there a way to reorder the categories on the left hand side of the New GUI. My folders I have added are at the bottom. Would love them at the top....
Thanks

Not that I have seen but yes that would be handy.

manifesto1969

Not that I have seen but yes that would be handy.
I hope they add this feature.
Received the Dune Pro Vision 4K Solo today.
First impressions are great - took me a while to work out how to add my NAS' folders and then to scan. Overall the New Gui does nearly everything I want.
Now I can watch movies with full menus and the biggie for me - finally Dolby Vision on my LG OLED...whoop! whoop!

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I hope they add this feature.
Received the Dune Pro Vision 4K Solo today.
First impressions are great - took me a while to work out how to add my NAS' folders and then to scan. Overall the New Gui does nearly everything I want.
Now I can watch movies with full menus and the biggie for me - finally Dolby Vision on my LG OLED...whoop! whoop!
They take feature requests. When or if they ever implement them is a completely different bowl of soup.

b1sh0p

Standard Member
Anyone else getting audio not coming back immediately after pausing a video and then resuming it? Sometimes it only takes a few seconds, some times 10 or 15 seconds before audio comes back, even though the video starts right away. My receiver reports that there is no stream of data while this is happening. (I'm using Original (Bitstream) for my Audio setting). This is a problem unique to the Dune HD Max Vision 4K, earlier Dune players in a similar setup with the same settings and receiver never did this. Thanks.

I think I finally solved this, posting in case anyone else has a similar issue. My receiver is a Sony STR-ZA1100ES. There's an option under HDMI settings for Audio Output that can be set to "AMP" or "TV + AMP". Setting this to "AMP" seems to have solved the issue.

burtonpark

rcvd Dune Real Vision a few days ago, hopeing to retire my existing JB Oppo 203 player.
Like the new GUI, however I‘m getting playback glitches :- the odd picture stutter and audio dropout (1s drop every 30 minutes), when playing full UHD ISO rips over network.
Never get such problems with Oppo, plus can playback 400mbs Jellyfish bit rate MKV files fine on Dune, so don’t believe it’s a network problem.

Perhaps there’s a problem with Full UHD disk playback, anyone seen anything similar?

walstib

Sadly you do have to update the two players separately, unlike with Zappiti where you update the “account” once for multiple players. However, it’s no big deal because once you have confirmed association on the first Dune player the second will recognise this confirmation after you’ve done the identification on it. So the association is saved on the Dune database and that saves a bit of time on player 2.
This implies that my "library" or at least some meta-data about it is maintained by Dune outside of my home network. I'm ok with downloading meta-data for content, but I am hoping that my data is not pushed back to Dune.

I suppose it's easy to confirm by simply blocking the device at the router so no external access....

burtonpark

On a scan after clear, MY Dune Real Vision incorrectly match’s the movie 13 (2010) to 13 Assassins (2010), despite each of these movies being both correctly named and each in own named folder and each folder having a correct NFO helper file. Is there a way to “help” the dune with its matching process?

walstib

On a scan after clear, MY Dune Real Vision incorrectly match’s the movie 13 (2010) to 13 Assassins (2010), despite each of these movies being both correctly named and each in own named folder and each folder having a correct NFO helper file. Is there a way to “help” the dune with its matching process?

You can manually search/match movies. I don't recall the exact steps at this moment, but it's in the Collection Management.

burtonpark

You can manually search/match movies. I don't recall the exact steps at this moment, but it's in the Collection Management.
Thanks, I realise that, however with 900 movies in correctly named+ (year) folders, the Dune scan is 100% confident it fully matched on only 50% of those, As I understand it the Dune should also read nfo files to improve match accuracy however IMO it doesn’t seem to use nfo, It would be helpful if we knew how the match algorithm works so as to help the Dune out!

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I realise that, however with 900 movies in correctly named+ (year) folders, the Dune scan is 100% confident it fully matched on only 50% of those, As I understand it the Dune should also read nfo files to improve match accuracy however IMO it doesn’t seem to use nfo, It would be helpful if we knew how the match algorithm works so as to help the Dune out!
Yes it’s supposed to read NFOs but I’ve heard it said it doesn’t. Nevertheless, the scraping is really very accurate. Of that other 50% of yours where it has not taken the extra step and confirmed association I bet the larger majority are still the correct movie. I almost never have to change a movie or TV show and find the performance of the scraper to be better than Zappiti and Kodi and different league to Zidoo. I’m 100% correctly matched on over 2000 movies and 130 TV series most with multiple seasons without any special naming convention beyond the bog standard.

burtonpark

Yes it’s supposed to read NFOs but I’ve heard it said it doesn’t. Nevertheless, the scraping is really very accurate. Of that other 50% of yours where it has not taken the extra step and confirmed association I bet the larger majority are still the correct movie. I almost never have to change a movie or TV show and find the performance of the scraper to be better than Zappiti and Kodi and different league to Zidoo. I’m 100% correctly matched on over 2000 movies and 130 TV series most with multiple seasons without any special naming convention beyond the bog standard.
Yes, I tried the Dune Solo a few years ago but gave up, however the new Netflix like gui is very very nice and uniquely as afar as I know it now handles and dedupes multiple movie rips in the same folder (eg uhd, bluray, MKV) very smoothly plus nice movie set management too, so overall very Good, but troubled by some uhd iso glitches (DV related I think) but early days so they are limited

Nice Monkey

Have a Real Vision myself and don't see any glitches with any movie type including DV/Atmos. My HDD's are USB3 attached.

As a whole the FW is very stable and almost bug free. They are now concentrating on further improvements it seems.

Sir QD oled

Have a Real Vision myself and don't see any glitches with any movie type including DV/Atmos. My HDD's are USB3 attached.

As a whole the FW is very stable and almost bug free. They are now concentrating on further improvements it seems.
Might not see much improvments in the near future with the recent events happening in Russia. Properly everything on hold for now..

Nice Monkey

I have no idea how strong the relation with Russia actually is?
I know the FW is now also used by Zappiti which must be a stimulant.

Saw an early release received by a colleague beta tester with a nice HDMI-CEC update included.
So work is still being done for sure.

Last edited:

burtonpark

Mine is via gigabit NAS, Are you playing back UHD ISO, DV 4K content, full menu?

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV