Dune HD Max Vision 4K

b.t.w.when arrives i will upload photos!
If it arrives just install the new alpha firmware which is rock solid and introduces you to the new Gui which is a nice upgrade and can easily be compared to the competition. At least is isn't as ugly as the Z :censored:

- New GUI

If it arrives just install the new alpha firmware which is rock solid and introduces you to the new Gui which is a nice upgrade and can easily be compared to the competition. At least is isn't as ugly as the Z :censored:

- New GUI
oooo,thank you,it will be much learning as it looks like.Thank you again,i must go and explore more on dune hd.com

I tried to new dune gui and did not like it at all, seems like the focus is on streaming services which is rubbish as these boxes are not officially supported boxes so you have to have hacked/unofficial versions of apps. I wish they just focus on making it a good media player only as tired of these unofficial version of apps that stop working all the time.

If you want a streaming box then look at fire stick, Google tv, apple tv or nvidia shield etc. as they have official versions of software.

- New GUI

LOL just saying how much I did not like the new gui, it reminded me of the android tv interface with key focus on streaming apps, which I know can be switched off but when you click into the coverart you are still presented with the same my collection layout, I prefer the look of the zidoo but I also have emby and plex which are really good.

I tried to new dune gui and did not like it at all, seems like the focus is on streaming services which is rubbish as these boxes are not officially supported boxes so you have to have hacked/unofficial versions of apps. I wish they just focus on making it a good media player only as tired of these unofficial version of apps that stop working all the time.

If you want a streaming box then look at fire stick, Google tv, apple tv or nvidia shield etc. as they have official versions of software.
Hey but please tell how does unofficial or hacked version work?Because you have Dune you can tell the best about work,trick,apps and rest.Thank you in advantage!

Hey but please tell how does unofficial or hacked version work?Because you have Dune you can tell the best about work,trick,apps and rest.Thank you in advantage!

It's already installed or can be installed via the plugin which are updated by dune.

Eg Netflix on these types of player generally do not playback. In hdr or dolby vision nor does it play back atmos. I have not tried it on the dune due to the issues on my last dune player so gave up.

For me I take the dune player as media player using its internal player and movie scraper only inc iso playback, everything else it not so good.

Here is a pic with different antenna I purchased as I hate Big antennas. Mine is hardwired and does not use WiFi.

Attachments

• IMG20211209224612.jpg
    IMG20211209224612.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG20211209224603.jpg
    IMG20211209224603.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 148
Here is movie scraper from emby and plex which can be installed on the dune but is not a great experience.

Note you need to have a plex or emby movie server.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-11-43-74_59a7afbf1cddd92a5934ee885f309108.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-11-43-74_59a7afbf1cddd92a5934ee885f309108.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-10-08-12_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-10-08-12_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-09-50-05_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-09-50-05_44afb15bb7fddf0c82da86f25534e5f4.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-11-25-89_59a7afbf1cddd92a5934ee885f309108.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-09-22-11-25-89_59a7afbf1cddd92a5934ee885f309108.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 138
Here is the link to alpha firmware which include the new December one with change log, which I believe will be official this month.

- New GUI

I would not call it "rock solid", but it works for the most part. There are definitely glitches here and there.

It's been a while since the firmware with the NEW GUI has been updated. Hopefully it will be soon!

In general I have gotten used to and appreciate the ease of the new My Movies collection GUI.
Hopefully it will be easier/more configurable on a per-title basis to tweak things, but this is a fine start.

I am tempted to go to the new alpha December firmware but kind of like the new gui enough to stick with it...

I would not call it "rock solid", but it works for the most part. There are definitely glitches here and there.

It's been a while since the firmware with the NEW GUI has been updated. Hopefully it will be soon!

In general I have gotten used to and appreciate the ease of the new My Movies collection GUI.
Hopefully it will be easier/more configurable on a per-title basis to tweak things, but this is a fine start.

I am tempted to go to the new alpha December firmware but kind of like the new gui enough to stick with it...
Dune said they will also be releasing a new gui alpha firmware along side the release of the offcial firmware this month.

Comparing it to the competition with Zi and Zap with there Beta version well then the Dune is rock solid with the Alpha :D Concerning the apps it's android same here they work much better then the competition . Netflix is known for making trouble for non official players otherwise i used it for testing and works fine for me . F1 Tv and other local brand new VRT app works flawlessly for me.
It's not the main goal but it works so you have the option to use it or not. Personal preference on the new Gui is waste of time to debate this, i like it if not well use another. ;)

Hi,

I have had a response back from Dune with some feedback.

The front display does not have adjustable brightness (it is at the brightest setting already) and the Power LED cannot be adjusted, so I would recommend LightDims sticker.

The DAC on the Vision MAX 4K

See S/N of the box:
If S/N is EC794A001...: DAC is AKM AK4493QE.
If S/N is EC794A002...: DAC is ESS ES9038Q2M + XMOS XU208

Last edited:
These are taken from the alpha firmware but will be included in the final release version.

The New Gui is the R18 branch, which will also have a new version.

R17 below

Changes:
  • 1619DR models: Bugfix: More complete fix for DV/VS10 + DTS HD MA A/V desync problem.
  • 1619DR models: Bugfix: BD3D support was broken.
  • 1619DR models: Bugfix: Fixed the issue with rarely occurring random reboots.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Bugfix: ASS subtitles: technical tags could be wrongly shown.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Bugfix: Stuttering or skips on specific HLS streams (in particular DRM encrypted).
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Bugfix: No audio in some Android apps after MUTE and in some other cases.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: A/V sync correction is now remembered.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: External subtitles: improved subtitle language recognition by filename.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Added support for "Favourites" button on the new "Dune Remote R3" Bluetooth remote.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: DVD-Video: Optimized functions of some buttons (P+/P- can do FF/REW)
  • 1619DR/1619/1395/1295 models: BD Menu: Bugfix: some scenes/logos wrongly displayed in a small window instead of full-screen.
  • 1619DR/1619/1395/1295 models: BD Menu: Optimized functions of some buttons (P+/P- can do FF/REW, RETURN stops playback).
  • 1395 models: Bugfix: Storage devices could be shown two times in some cases.
  • All models: Bugfix: Sleep timer affected android apps in wrong way.
  • All models: Bugfix: During playback, "D" button wrongly shown a message corresponding to an absent function.
  • All models: Button "0" can now also be used to access "safe video mode" function on the main screen (in addition to "C", "REC", "MODE" buttons).
  • All models: Repeat+shuffle improvements: added "repeat one" mode, added information in INFO block during playback, added IP control support (loop_mode=0/1/2, shuffle_mode=0/1), added possibility to auto-enable loop/shuffle by M3U tags (#EXT-X-PLAY-WITH-REPEAT, #EXT-X-PLAY-WITH-SHUFFLE).
  • All models: For integrators: added supported for "locked" playback mode (which can be used for example with M3U files auto-started from Favorites) (details provided on request).
  • All models: Netflix app: changed to a mobile version (TV version is not available any more because of Netflix policy), with various features for convenient controlling it via remote (more details: Dune Firmware Zone / Netflix ).
  • All models: SmartTubeNext: changed to the stable version. If you prefer to use the beta version, disable the setting "Apps / Android apps / Use SmartTubeNext as YouTube", manually delete the stable app and install the beta app.
  • All models: Minor other internal fixes and improvements.
  • Vision models (RTD1619DR): new "Dune HD extensions for VS10" feature (improved picture quality, contrast and black levels when using Dolby Vision VS10 engine with SDR/HDR output). (How to use: enable VS10; set DV to Disabled when outputting SDR/HDR content to DV TV; keep picture adjustment settings at default values.)

These are taken from the alpha firmware but will be included in the final release version.

The New Gui is the R18 branch, which will also have a new version.

R17 below

Changes:
  • 1619DR models: Bugfix: More complete fix for DV/VS10 + DTS HD MA A/V desync problem.
  • 1619DR models: Bugfix: BD3D support was broken.
  • 1619DR models: Bugfix: Fixed the issue with rarely occurring random reboots.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Bugfix: ASS subtitles: technical tags could be wrongly shown.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Bugfix: Stuttering or skips on specific HLS streams (in particular DRM encrypted).
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Bugfix: No audio in some Android apps after MUTE and in some other cases.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: A/V sync correction is now remembered.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: External subtitles: improved subtitle language recognition by filename.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: Added support for "Favourites" button on the new "Dune Remote R3" Bluetooth remote.
  • 1619DR/1619 models: DVD-Video: Optimized functions of some buttons (P+/P- can do FF/REW)
  • 1619DR/1619/1395/1295 models: BD Menu: Bugfix: some scenes/logos wrongly displayed in a small window instead of full-screen.
  • 1619DR/1619/1395/1295 models: BD Menu: Optimized functions of some buttons (P+/P- can do FF/REW, RETURN stops playback).
  • 1395 models: Bugfix: Storage devices could be shown two times in some cases.
  • All models: Bugfix: Sleep timer affected android apps in wrong way.
  • All models: Bugfix: During playback, "D" button wrongly shown a message corresponding to an absent function.
  • All models: Button "0" can now also be used to access "safe video mode" function on the main screen (in addition to "C", "REC", "MODE" buttons).
  • All models: Repeat+shuffle improvements: added "repeat one" mode, added information in INFO block during playback, added IP control support (loop_mode=0/1/2, shuffle_mode=0/1), added possibility to auto-enable loop/shuffle by M3U tags (#EXT-X-PLAY-WITH-REPEAT, #EXT-X-PLAY-WITH-SHUFFLE).
  • All models: For integrators: added supported for "locked" playback mode (which can be used for example with M3U files auto-started from Favorites) (details provided on request).
  • All models: Netflix app: changed to a mobile version (TV version is not available any more because of Netflix policy), with various features for convenient controlling it via remote (more details: Dune Firmware Zone / Netflix ).
  • All models: SmartTubeNext: changed to the stable version. If you prefer to use the beta version, disable the setting "Apps / Android apps / Use SmartTubeNext as YouTube", manually delete the stable app and install the beta app.
  • All models: Minor other internal fixes and improvements.
  • Vision models (RTD1619DR): new "Dune HD extensions for VS10" feature (improved picture quality, contrast and black levels when using Dolby Vision VS10 engine with SDR/HDR output). (How to use: enable VS10; set DV to Disabled when outputting SDR/HDR content to DV TV; keep picture adjustment settings at default values.)
Very useful,thanks!

I’m interested in the Max Vision model but Futeko’s Dune re-stock is still stuck in customs after several weeks. It’s a shame but nevertheless frustrating and I might have to buy the ridiculously priced Zappiti instead.

There was a time you could buy Dune from Ripcaster, Scan and Amazon but Futeko seems like the only domestic game in town these days.

If you update to the new Alpha you won’t lose the newer GUI. They are separate streams I think.

I agree that whilst it’s miles behind Zappiti and Zidoo it’s improved to the point where it’s a pleasurable use experience. Functionality wise it’s an accurate scraper and the “Cast and crew explorer” remains a killer feature. But they are staring from a low base and have a lot of catching up to do to the other two.

If you update to the new Alpha you won’t lose the newer GUI. They are separate streams I think.

I agree that whilst it’s miles behind Zappiti and Zidoo it’s improved to the point where it’s a pleasurable use experience. Functionality wise it’s an accurate scraper and the “Cast and crew explorer” remains a killer feature. But they are staring from a low base and have a lot of catching up to do to the other two.

I was wondering if the GUI was separate or not - given the ease of firmware updating I may give it a try.

What really took me getting used to in the GUI (new or old) was using a traditional remote to find contextual menus. I have used jRiver Media Center for years, which is a full-on PC program (and quite excellent). I'd still be using it if not for Dune's EXCELLENT Dolby Vision support for BD/UHD backups, MKVs, etc. I still use jRiver for audio as I need to drive an external multi-channel DAC with full DSD support.

Anyone know where are Dune headquartered? Are they an Eastern European company? Chinese company? When I ordered mine several weeks ago, it took all of a few days for it to arrive in the US. I ordered it off one of their sites (I think European site?).

I was wondering if the GUI was separate or not - given the ease of firmware updating I may give it a try.

What really took me getting used to in the GUI (new or old) was using a traditional remote to find contextual menus. I have used jRiver Media Center for years, which is a full-on PC program (and quite excellent). I'd still be using it if not for Dune's EXCELLENT Dolby Vision support for BD/UHD backups, MKVs, etc. I still use jRiver for audio as I need to drive an external multi-channel DAC with full DSD support.

Anyone know where are Dune headquartered? Are they an Eastern European company? Chinese company? When I ordered mine several weeks ago, it took all of a few days for it to arrive in the US. I ordered it off one of their sites (I think European site?).

They also have distribution in EU but they biggest market was Russia from what I remember

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-11-14-58-07-05_254de13a4bc8758c9908fff1f73e3725.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-11-14-58-07-05_254de13a4bc8758c9908fff1f73e3725.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 128

They way they have arranged it is that once you download the new GUI it is permanent. But you can always go back to the previous MyCollection via the settings. Downloading any other normal firmware has no effect on that.

Dune are Russian, which is why you see Russian apps and posters, but of course all these players are initially manufactured in China. They have their HQ in Taiwan but really a Russian effort.

They way they have arranged it is that once you download the new GUI it is permanent. But you can always go back to the previous MyCollection via the settings. Downloading any other normal firmware has no effect on that.

Dune are Russian, which is why you see Russian apps and posters, but of course all these players are initially manufactured in China. They have their HQ in Taiwan but really a Russian effort.

Thanks - helpful and informative!

NOTE: The GUI is not a separate installation. It's part of the firmware - so while you can install r18 with the new GUI and switch between new and old, you can not install r17 after and expect the new GUI to be available. Have verified this.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Is there a way to directly connect the Dune player via Ethernet to the PC, in order to use the whole Gigabit Ethernets bandwidth? Or do i need to go via the WIFI router to the PC?
Thanks!

Hello guys,can anyone tell me which is upper limit of internal HDD in Dune Max 4k,i will buy this model coz it is almost half price than Ultra with small differences between them.Thank you very much.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom