Dune HD Max Vision 4K

Nice Monkey

Drives with 4K Logical and 4K Physical sectors. Very few models using it thus far.
All popular models don't.

bellaboy

Novice Member
It does it with pretty much every mp4 and mkv file that I throw at it. I run AUDIOQUEST Cinnamon 8k HDMI cables through my Marantz SR8012. When I directly connect the HDMI to the TV, same thing. I don’t think the problem is with my HDMI cables. Also, when I tried it on LLDV (low-latency) (player led), it worked for a bit longer, but still the same problem.

I have tried about 20 different files, movies, TV shows, MP4, MKV, and all the same result.
Same
It does it with pretty much every mp4 and mkv file that I throw at it. I run AUDIOQUEST Cinnamon 8k HDMI cables through my Marantz SR8012. When I directly connect the HDMI to the TV, same thing. I don’t think the problem is with my HDMI cables. Also, when I tried it on LLDV (low-latency) (player led), it worked for a bit longer, but still the same problem.

I have tried about 20 different files, movies, TV shows, MP4, MKV, and all the same result.
Same problem here. Any solution meanwhile? It happens only with the Dune Max Vision. My older Dune HD Pro 4K works fine on the same equipment.

Nice Monkey

For those interested there are DSF files to activate and deactivate "Remaining Time' being displayed on the front display which is proven to work on Real Vision and Pro Vision models.
For sure it will be part of the next FW update.

a5ian300zx

Mine should be here soon, so will test it and see how i like it compared to the Zidoo Z9X or my Oppo 203.

FrenchBlues

Standard Member
Hello, I'm thinking to buy the Authentic Cinema version of the HD Max Vision (I think they tweak the clock, the power supply and some components): do one of you have one of these ?

Thanks.

a5ian300zx

Hello, I'm thinking to buy the Authentic Cinema version of the HD Max Vision (I think they tweak the clock, the power supply and some components): do one of you have one of these ?

Thanks.

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by authentic cinema version.

Looking at your signature and your high-end end stuff, the below is the top end version of the Dune HD

Dune HD Ultra Vision 4K

also note i noticed you have the zapppiti which have also have their equivalent versions of their high-end stuff and there is going to be a Audiocom Edition version of their new Zappiti player based on the below soon.

https://www.zappiti.com/zappiti-signature-dolby-vision

FrenchBlues

Standard Member
You are right, I'm waiting for the hi-end version of the new Zappiti, but only if the y have solved all the issues of the previous models (Slow boot, frequent reboot, very very slow operation under synouogy DSM 7, way too much pictures drops on Mkv Files, default sub titles not recognized, etc etc

My Opp and Zappiti are all tweaked (clock mod, etc). The gap is not huge but it's there, in the image and even more in the sound in HDMI.

Thanks to the early adopters, here in Europe the Dune is not available for the moment.

Regards

Regis

a5ian300zx

You are right, I'm waiting for the hi-end version of the new Zappiti, but only if the y have solved all the issues of the previous models (Slow boot, frequent reboot, very very slow operation under synouogy DSM 7, way too much pictures drops on Mkv Files, default sub titles not recognized, etc etc

My Opp and Zappiti are all tweaked (clock mod, etc). The gap is not huge but it's there, in the image and even more in the sound in HDMI.

Thanks to the early adopters, here in Europe the Dune is not available for the moment.

Regards

Regis

Hi,

That is a lot of problem I did not expect with the Zappiti player, see owners thread for thier feedback so far it has been positive.

Dune HD Eu store is below.

Here is the thread for the new Zappiti players, some users have the signature model and the Audiocom one will be released soonish

Zidoo is another good player which based on the same chipset and also offer high end models

I have their base player z9x which i bought to test and so far it works fine and does not have any of the issues you mentioned and my media on a Qnap NAS.

I will get the Dune HD next week to compare.

FrenchBlues

Standard Member
Thanks for the links.

Regis

a5ian300zx

Just got it so not had proper play with it.

But here is some pictures same size as the oppo 203 weight more than the oppo 203 with standard psu but I have a toroidal psu in my oppo 203 so same weight.

I like the oled front display, but can't see it from far.

Comes with two remote one is Bluetooth and the other is IR (main)

The gui/interface is the same old dune one and the firmware is from April 2021. No new firmware beside the alpha one.

Will do some testing later when I get chance and once I have setup it up.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20211206142329.jpg
    IMG20211206142329.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG20211206141609.jpg
    IMG20211206141609.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG20211206143010.jpg
    IMG20211206143010.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG20211206143011.jpg
    IMG20211206143011.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG20211206142628.jpg
    IMG20211206142628.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG20211206142540.jpg
    IMG20211206142540.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG20211206142339.jpg
    IMG20211206142339.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 61

Nice Monkey

The new Alpha FW is far better. The label alpha is very misleading.
Going back with Dune is as easy as upgrading. ;)

mtenga

Distinguished Member
In common with Zappiti they are definitely wasting a line of that display with "Now Playing". What else could it be?

I'm tempted to get the lower model Pro Vision again since that at least has a readable display, even though the Max Vision is a more elegant HiFi component looking. I'd personally never use the Dacs on the Max anyway.

a5ian300zx

The new Alpha FW is far better. The label alpha is very misleading.
Going back with Dune is as easy as upgrading. ;)

Reading dune response on avs forum was that they will be releasing new firmware in a week or so, but I am going to try it anyway.

I am quite familiar with dune as I have had their player from base and prime days, only sold my last solo 4k as I could not do dolby vision and I wanted a dolby vision player.

a5ian300zx

In common with Zappiti they are definitely wasting a line of that display with "Now Playing". What else could it be?

I'm tempted to get the lower model Pro Vision again since that at least has a readable display, even though the Max Vision is a more elegant HiFi component looking. I'd personally never use the Dacs on the Max anyway.

Hi Rob,

Yep definitely wasted space and I have made a note on it to feedback to dune,

I don't use the dacs but wanted something that looked like my oppo with premium feel and the matrix oled screen and it does not disappoint.

I was testing out my iso and bluray folder collection and all of them played fine in the dune, so far. On the zidoo I could not even playback one of them without a glitch.

Zidoo offers more options and has a much better scraper.

This is something I want to test further, which is the vs10 processing engine on both zidoo and dune. I have a test pattern which I want to test first and then movie comparison, in particular upscaling the 1080p to vs10 on both players same movie and same scene.

a5ian300zx

I did try emby and plex on the dune and there were not great at all, shield tv pro is way better for speed and playback, I could not get it to play using the external player option eg dune player.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Hi Rob,

Yep definitely wasted space and I have made a note on it to feedback to dune,

I don't use the dacs but wanted something that looked like my oppo with premium feel and the matrix oled screen and it does not disappoint.

I was testing out my iso and bluray folder collection and all of them played fine in the dune, so far. On the zidoo I could not even playback one of them without a glitch.

Zidoo offers more options and has a much better scraper.

This is something I want to test further, which is the vs10 processing engine on both zidoo and dune. I have a test pattern which I want to test first and then movie comparison, in particular upscaling the 1080p to vs10 on both players same movie and same scene.

With all things being equal both should output the same Pic Quality
same chipset and both using same VS10 Engine .

Unless settings are not set exact on both players ?

a5ian300zx

With all things being equal both should output the same Pic Quality
same chipset and both using same VS10 Engine .

Unless settings are not set exact on both players ?

I did more tests last night and made sure both settings are the same on both players,

I can confirm the picture quality was the same with both devices.

Interesting was the vs10 processing, when enabled on all settings and playing back a colour clipping test pattern it was clipping and when I tested a hdr10 colour clipping test pattern with vs10 and that was quite bad with clipping switched it off and I could see the low and high colour clip pattern much better. I will put my oppo back in place a test that again when I get chance.

Hello to people on this topic! I will have soon Dune Ultra Vision 4k,from what i read here and elsewhere that is a good player, and does anybody know why here doesnt exist topic on that player?Thank you very much.P.s.If anybody has that player please share thoughts and impression.

a5ian300zx

Hello to people on this topic! I will have soon Dune Ultra Vision 4k,from what i read here and elsewhere that is a good player, and does anybody know why here doesnt exist topic on that player?Thank you very much.P.s.If anybody has that player please share thoughts and impression.

Because it is too expensive :)

Where did you buy it from? I could not see any UK suppliers and the EU store seemed like it will charge a customs bill

You can create an owners thread of you like.

On side note dune have confirmed new official firmware is due this month and I will test out the new gui firmware on my dune.

I have not sold my oppo 203, as I don't have space to have multiple players.

Sir QD oled

Maybe they don't have the means of the marketing of a shiny new black box with a Z with a ugly interface which is practical the same like this Dune Vision but with exaggerated price tag :D

Because it is too expensive :)

Where did you buy it from? I could not see any UK suppliers and the EU store seemed like it will charge a customs bill

You can create an owners thread of you like.

On side note dune have confirmed new official firmware is due this month and I will test out the new gui firmware on my dune.

I have not sold my oppo 203, as I don't have space to have multiple players.

First,thank you for answer!It will be bought via Hungary.It should be in Budapest in 7 to 10 days.If you have other Dune ,please tell me how does it work and what to expect from that player.Rhank you

a5ian300zx

First,thank you for answer!It will be bought via Hungary.It should be in Budapest in 7 to 10 days.If you have other Dune ,please tell me how does it work and what to expect from that player.Rhank you

I have the dune HD Max Vision 4k and it is the same interface as the previous dunes (12 years they have had the same interface) and very simple layout and the chipset can playback dolby vision as well as all the other formats eg hdr10 etc..

The my collection is OK nothing specially has not changed much since they introduced it many years ago.

Playback is the same with dune, zidoo and zappiti bar the different gui/interface.

Dune also has one of the best bd/4k folder/iso playback if you are more into the movie scraping then zidoo and zappiti are better than the dune.

Comes down to personal preference, dune use to have around 2-3 month update cycle but recently have slowed down and generally support their products for a while. Regular firmware updates are the best with zidoo with a really good dedicated forum and community.

The movie scrapper, music player I find it better on the zidoo.

Also if you are projector users then I would also recommend the zidoo due to thier ability to upload custom edid which a lot of projector user benefit from.

The orange back-lit remote is the dune (IR dual blasters) and the white back-lit remote is the zidoo z9x. I prefer the dunes one.

The dune also comes with rack mounts, small Bluetooth remote with voice controls.

The three players are
Zidoo z9x
Oppo 203
Dune HD max vision 4k

The last test pattern is a hdr10 colour clipping pattern and the movie clips are Alice in wonderland through the glass something :) it a bluray which is using the dolby vision vs10 engine to covert to DV.

All down to personal choice.

Attachments

• IMG20211206230031.jpg
    IMG20211206230031.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG20211206230010.jpg
    IMG20211206230010.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG20211206225601.jpg
    IMG20211206225601.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG20211207183128.jpg
    IMG20211207183128.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20211207183355.jpg
    IMG20211207183355.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Maybe they don't have the means of the marketing of a shiny new black box with a Z with a ugly interface which is practical the same like this Dune Vision but with exaggerated price tag :D

I have the dune HD Max Vision 4k and it is the same interface as the previous dunes (12 years they have had the same interface) and very simple layout and the chipset can playback dolby vision as well as all the other formats eg hdr10 etc..

The my collection is OK nothing specially has not changed much since they introduced it many years ago.

Playback is the same with dune, zidoo and zappiti bar the different gui/interface.

Dune also has one of the best bd/4k folder/iso playback if you are more into the movie scraping then zidoo and zappiti are better than the dune.

Comes down to personal preference, dune use to have around 2-3 month update cycle but recently have slowed down and generally bought their product for a while but firmware updates is the best with zidoo with a really good dedicated forum and community.

The movie scrapper, music player I find it better on the zidoo.

Also if you are projector users then I would also recommend the zidoo due to thier ability to upload custom edid which a lot of projector user benefit from.

The orange back-lit remote is the dune and the white back-lit remote is the zidoo z9x.

The three players are
Zidoo z9x
Oppo 203
Dune HD max vision 4k

All down to personal choice.
Thank you for superb analysis!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audio Pro expands C10 MkII speaker range with new colours
  • By Andy Bassett