Dune HD Base 3D - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about image quality? beats popcorn a400?

A400 hardly even beats a smart for hd. Sd is better though (thanks to vxp).

A400 hardly even beats a smart for hd. Sd is better though (thanks to vxp).

PQ is all a matter of each persons eyes, VXP can make a difference on HD material but its no longer close to reference anymore, If someone likes exploded black levels and over sharpening to a degree, VXP and HD material on the A400 would seem amazing to them.

So each his own on how the image quality compares reference to reference material with no VXP they should pretty much be the same pixel per pixel,

I wouldnt think there would be a big difference in picture quality in HD in most of the top media players but in SD upscaling could depending on the processor.
But I could be wrong because I havent had all the top ones at the moment
but agree it depends on the persons own perspective.We are lucky there is so many media players out there to give competition .
I have waited so long for the new dunes to come out and looking forward to getting one of these.

Last edited:
I guess this is a problem for Realtek chipset only. All sigma chipset are doing 1:1. Never had this problem with my smart and never heard anyone complaining about it with any dune. If fact I saw many people complaining about 1:1 simply because their tv was doing overscan, or because they didn't use a correct aspect ratio or zoom on their tv.

If you take a 1080p backdrop from yadis, compare it on your pc and dune, you will see the exact same picture with all the 1920x1080 pixels.

I don't expect any problem of this kind on the base 3D as well.

Thanks Mr Eric. I do have a couple of Dunes. All the way from the Dune BD Prime 1.0, Max, H1 and D1 (some at my fathers home and some at my in laws place). The Dunes do 1:1 pixel mapping well. The initial revision for the Max had 2 errors that were fixed with firmwares that I reported (1:1 pixel mapping and colour space decoding errors for unflagged video). They have been rock solid since then.

The 1186 (seen in my now sold Himedia 900 & mede8er 1000X) had issues with 1:1 pixel mapping where it cropped pixels in the bottom and the right. They also have some sharpening that I could not defeat (but very much less than the 1185 chipset) and seem to have some edge block compression resolution issues.

Just checking to see if the new Base 3D have the pixel mapping issues.

I wonder how my pioneer LX 85 receiver upscale sd source better then A-400 I will test, in that case there is god thing for me :)

Dune HD Smart Base 3D - WEBHALLEN.com

Don't know if they send outside Sweden but maybe I can buy and send it in that case

thanks a lot for your answer. It is pretty expesinve though. It should not be more than 300euros. I`m sure it will be cheaper here in Switzerland.
I have also found for 299euros the Zappiti players. What exactly are they? Same but different firmware?
thanks

So is the 30th Jan the official release date for this player?
Ive been using my oppo 93 (attaching a caddy via usb) to playback my 3D iso's so im not worried about streaming or NAS would there be any difference in video file playback quality between the 2 machines.
It is nice having full bluray menu but it would be nice to have wall art as well which is not possible on the oppo
I dont use the oppo to spin disc's but sometimes i think its a bit overkill?

Are there any in the UK yet? :)

Are there any in the UK yet? :)

I think Graham expecting them anytime soon, this week or early next, so by the end of next week I would expect them to start being out there.

they should be despatched this week and arrive in the UK early next week. I havent had tracking numbers yet though

Can anyone explain difference between Zappiti and HD Base 3D?
Zappiti is already available here in Benelux but HD Base 3D not at the moment.
Does it make sense to wait for original Dune or should I buy Zappiti? Will I miss something if I get one or another?

Will this play full BD ISO rips? Also what's the difference between this and the Dune max? Wont the dune max play full 3D bluray rips?

Will this play full BD ISO rips?

Yes but it will only play BD-Lite. So no menus and for branching titles you will need to remux.

Also what's the difference between this and the Dune max? Wont the dune max play full 3D bluray rips?

New processor, new GUI, and full stereoscopic 3D capabilities. The Max can't play 3D blurays.

Branching titles need to be remux what do you mean ?
I can play BD.iso files and 3DBD.iso BD25 files no menu but playlist

You don't necessarily need to remux branching titles, but if you don't with BD-lite you get jumps/pauses when it switches between m2ts files. A good example of this is Cowboys and Aliens. Select the long playlist (i.e. the directors cut) and within the first couple of minutes there are several jumps.

On Dune players if you press info then see "Buffer Overrun" with the number of times it's switched between m2ts files.

Didn't know the dune's had problems with branching titles. Thanks for that. Any idea on how it does with forced subs?

didn't knwo about as well. But I think that the problem is BD Lite mode, more than the dune itself.

Hmm, do I get this then and not be able to play full bd iso rips or the dune max but not be able to play full 3d bd! Not sure now!

if your idea is to be able to play 3D BD ISO with full menu and wait for it, then you should know that there won't be any player that will be able to do that (except the Dune HD Max 3D, if it's real and not only a prototype that will never be launched like the 3D Pro of course...)

Didn't know the dune's had problems with branching titles. Thanks for that. Any idea on how it does with forced subs?

As Mr Eric says, I believe the issue is with BD Lite, not the Dune (so you'll find this on every player). It was annoying enough for me to remux any files.

If I'm honest I don't understand why anyone keeps full BD titles anyway. Remuxing is just as quick - if not quicker - than ripping a full BD, and if you're downloading then it's not too much hassle to remux a file.

There's the space implications too. I'm full at 35TB :)eek: ), and I freed up nearly 1TB from remuxing and doing away with menus, languages, extras etc.

if your idea is to be able to play 3D BD ISO with full menu and wait for it, then you should know that there won't be any player that will be able to do that (except the Dune HD Max 3D, if it's real and not only a prototype that will never be launched like the 3D Pro of course...)

or you can try and find a oppo 93 on older firmware...plays all iso's with full menu;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom