Dune HD 2020 Players Owners Thread

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So these boxes are out in the wild and I’ve got the baby brother RealBox 4K arriving on Tuesday. Of most interest will be to see whether either new model supports HDR10+. But with only one HDMI out this would mean direct connection to the TV for most which compromises HD audio back to the receiver, so not a good solution in that way.

Dune HD RealBox 4K (Release price £139.99)
Based on Realtek 1395

Dune HD Pro 4K II (Release price £269.99)
Based on Realtek 1619

The baby model does not have USB 3.0 and an older version of Android. Neither relevant to my use and performance should be similar.

@JabbaNut already started a thread for this I believe.

That is a preview thread covering devices from various manufacturers. Also no mention of the RealBox on that thread. This is a thread for owners and prospective owners of Dune devices alone.

I may fancy getting the baby one myself.
Well Futeko has them in stock. Got my dispatch notice earlier so UPS picking it up tomorrow. Somebody else on the AVS site has ordered one as well so expect various thoughts this week. Assuming you don’t just plunge in anyway tonight :D

Well after the initial setup a cautious thumbs up. Lucy looked stunning in HDR with Atmos but only tested a few minutes. Will be watching some movies fully in the next few days to see. A poster on the AVS site has started a thread and put up quite detailed findings on his box.

Hearing a few bugs on the 1395 box as expected on any new media box out .
Be interesting in what the 1619 one can do and if more stable finished firmware .

Well after only one nights playing I would not suggest the firmware is unstable. I’d definitely have said that about the early firmware of the previous model Pro 4K. Playing Lucy in UHD I was able to move around the BDMV backward and forward. My TV recognised HDR. Forced subtitles played and the menu system was efficient. No crashes or freezes. Very encouraging based on a very early initial test.

Well after only one nights playing I would not suggest the firmware is unstable. I’d definitely have said that about the early firmware of the previous model Pro 4K. Playing Lucy in UHD I was able to move around the BDMV backward and forward. My TV recognised HDR. Forced subtitles played and the menu system was efficient. No crashes or freezes. Very encouraging based on a very early initial test.

have you experienced any 1080p 23 playback issues ?

have you experienced any 1080p 23 playback issues ?
This is one of the things I’ll be looking out for over the next few days. No comment yet.

Sorry what is 1080p/23? Only heard of 1080p/23.976/24 fps?

A shorten version of what you just said
mtenga got the jist of what i was reffering to etc .

A shorten version of what you just said
mtenga got the jist of what i was reffering to etc .
Yep I knew what you were asking and so far so good. I just ordered another one of these boxes for the bedroom. Looks like the real deal and will test extensively over the bank holiday weekend rather than going to the coast :D

Yep I knew what you were asking and so far so good. I just ordered another one of these boxes for the bedroom. Looks like the real deal and will test extensively over the bank holiday weekend rather than going to the coast :D

Yes hearing good things but i will wait for the 1619 [ Zidoo Version ] chipset in August circa for the Zidoo Z10x i req internal storage ive been spoilt .

but going by the 1395 chipset id imagine the 1619 Realtek will be a chipset we have all been waiting for .

looking positive which ever way people choose or are used to the way Zidoo or Dune and there OS etc .

Been playing around more today and some random observations. All based on network file playback via SMB.

- playback is generally smooth regardless of file type. I’m not noticing any dropped frames, skipping or other nasties.
- only had the device crash once when I paused the UHD of Skywalker. No idea why.
- plenty of flash memory on board unlike my previous Solo. So you can hold all posters in memory until you reach about 5000 shows. It’s quite quick at displaying posters in the wall from internal memory. MyCollection is limited though and no changing posters, some of which will be foreign language.
- previous Pro 4K codes work with Harmony. Make sure you add the pop up button it is used often.
- Menus work well on BDMV folders, quite smooth. Resume is available where supported.
- Forced subs are honoured in BDMV, I’ve tested. But another poster has said not in MKV.
- The device is tiny, not as tall as an AppleTV but a bit wider. Despite its size I have no difficulty reading the display which shows time elapsed when in a movie but can’t show time remaining. It’s a clock when not playing a movie.
- the iOS app is excellent and mirrors the screen. Useful for keyboard entry.
- HDR10+ works but I have not tested myself. Won’t be bothering since there is only one HDMI out and my receiver, which I want to connect to, does not support it.

Great thing is it can only get better with more firmware updates.

Same here.

You-Tube seems to have a lot of dropped frames when in 4K/60/HDR mode. It should be due to 1395's low powered SoC.
Any other video option/resolution from the "fine-tuned" You-Tube app works well.

The 1619 model should perform better in this area.

This tiny box manages to be better than its predecessor (pro 4K) from day one.

Been playing around more today and some random observations. All based on network file playback via SMB.

- playback is generally smooth regardless of file type. I’m not noticing any dropped frames, skipping or other nasties.
- only had the device crash once when I paused the UHD of Skywalker. No idea why.
- plenty of flash memory on board unlike my previous Solo. So you can hold all posters in memory until you reach about 5000 shows. It’s quite quick at displaying posters in the wall from internal memory. MyCollection is limited though and no changing posters, some of which will be foreign language.
- previous Pro 4K codes work with Harmony. Make sure you add the pop up button it is used often.
- Menus work well on BDMV folders, quite smooth. Resume is available where supported.
- Forced subs are honoured in BDMV, I’ve tested. But another poster has said not in MKV.
- The device is tiny, not as tall as an AppleTV but a bit wider. Despite its size I have no difficulty reading the display which shows time elapsed when in a movie but can’t show time remaining. It’s a clock when not playing a movie.
- the iOS app is excellent and mirrors the screen. Useful for keyboard entry.
- HDR10+ works but I have not tested myself. Won’t be bothering since there is only one HDMI out and my receiver, which I want to connect to, does not support it.

Does it do sourcedirect from DVD and BD iso, at native resolution and framerate? The Dune4K Pro I have was never fixed for that. Does it build it’s only content library from a network smb/ntfs drive, and can you map episodes to the correct iso for TV series. What about full DVD/Blu-ray menus?

These are the issues I never resolved on the 4K pro.

Unfortunately that’s what was supposed to happen with the previous range, and for my needs it never got there. I’m also guessing this new range will mean they’ve stopped working on updates for the previous models.

@scrowe

- Menus work fine on BDMV
- Yes you can match frame and resolution.
- The media centre is called MyCollection and is fair for movies but no good for TV. I use network sources but can’t see why you couldn’t use USB sources as well.

For anyone who is not following the AVS thread this box is mighty fussy on HDMI cables. Worse than the AppleTV.

@scrowe

- Menus work fine on BDMV
- Yes you can match frame and resolution.
- The media centre is called MyCollection and is fair for movies but no good for TV. I use network sources but can’t see why you couldn’t use USB sources as well.

For anyone who is not following the AVS thread this box is mighty fussy on HDMI cables. Worse than the AppleTV.
Hello there, I am wondering is Dune HD realbox 4K or Dune pro 4k II audio outputs support Bitstream Dolby ture hd atoms? I currently use Apple TV 4K its lack of Bitstream, the sound quality is really bad. I use an av receiver and directly connect to my stream device. Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom