Dune - Extended, it's arrived :D

probedb

Banned
Have yet to watch it but I'm looking forward to this.

Dune - Extended Edition, standard cut on one side and extended on the other with a variety of extras.

The case is one of the nicest I've ever seen as well, standard keep-case size but with metal over a plastic case.

Anyone else got this?

jolly

Novice Member
I saw this as a kid and enjoyed it , but I'll wait for a review to refresh my memory before I buy it

Steve

probedb

Banned
Dave-S said:
I am still waiting for a review of this disc before I buy it. I have heard that these double sided DVD 18 from the US have had a lot of problems.
None on my Pioneer :)

I love the film...not a patch on the book but I love it in it's own right.

PoochJD

Hi,

Dune is definitely a work of flawed genius. I don't mean that to sound like I'm casting aspertions on David Lynch. What I mean is, it's a film that works well, despite some patent flaws that were included, e.g. some of the special effects not being fully completed, the script, and some of the cast, etc.

It's not a film for everyone, but it's not bad either. "Dune" was never going to be an easy movie to make. Try reading the novel, and you'll soon see why even the three part TV-remake from the Sci-Fi Channel a few years back, is not much better. I simply feel that unless sufficient time, funding and casting was made available to one director, trying to tackle "Dune" again, would be a completely pointless exercise.

Having said that, what's Peter Jackson upto these days?! :rotfl: Maybe he could be the ideal director to film all of the six original novels, as well as the new, Brian Anderson (?) spin-off novels too?

Pooch

probedb

Banned
PoochJD said:
Having said that, what's Peter Jackson upto these days?! :rotfl: Maybe he could be the ideal director to film all of the six original novels, as well as the new, Brian Anderson (?) spin-off novels too?
Just what I was thinking, if he made as good a job as he did with the LOTR trilogy it'd be excellent!

Matt Horne

I presume the extended edition is just the tv cut ? or have they created another version of the film ?

Cheers

Matt

probedb

Banned
Don't think so. Never got the TV cut and can't find it now, but I think it's a separate cut not as long as the TV cut.

PoochJD

Hi,

The new Region 1 DVD of "Dune" contains:
- the original theatrical version (running to about 135m approx), and
- the made-for-US-TV extended cut, running to about 177m approx

There are no other legitimate cuts of "Dune" officially available on DVD! :lesson:

Pooch

P.S. I might buy the Region 1 disc, but not if it's a blinking flipper! :thumbsdow

KevD

Novice Member
My Tv cut DVD is 176 Mins PAL whereas the Extended version on this new DVD is 177 Mins NTSC. This would seem to indicate there is some difference in them :confused:

probedb

Banned
Extended cut isn't a flipper, 1 side has theatrical cut, other side extended cut.

Just watching, blooyd annoying cut. Although there are extra scenes and stuff, there's also a stupid bloody American-bloke talking over various bits 'explaining' it for your below average audience. Spoiled in exactly the same way as Bladerunner, grumble, grumble.

There's no nice intro with Virginia Madsen talking over it. Instead there's some stupid pictures and that bloody American talking over them.

Bit crap really, if they cut him out and restored various bits of the theatrical cut into it might be much better.

If only David Lynch would actually do his director's cut.

Oh yeah, picture quality is generally quite good though as is the sound.

Also just noticed various bits are also cut from the theatrical cut :(

anephric

Yep, it was censored for tv.

It IS a flipper in that it's a DVD18, btw, and hence some players will struggle, and they're somewhat prone to layer separation down the line.

probedb

Banned
Ahh sorry my definition of a flipper comes from the early days of DVD where it meant a DVD10 :) I still have Goodfellas in that format!

Marcus Geezer

Standard Member
I'm a bit of Dune film fan, and this was one of the first DVD's in my collection when I started it all those years back.

Through research then I found out that this film version of Dune was intended to be a mini-series of about 6 hours long in total, but due to budget and stuff got reduced to the film we all know.

As for Peter Jackson making a new version, he does indeed seem the best man for the job, but, although he did an absolutely fantastic job of the LOTR films, their are fundamental parts left out of the Tolkien novel which could have added so much more into the film, so wishing for a 'pure' version of Dune from him might be hoping a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom