1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune: Director's Cut in DTS!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 8, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Alas the Dune: Special Edition released in mid-June will not be a longer cut of David Lynch's 1984 cult classic, or a US release of the 3-hr TV cut available over here in the UK.

In fact, it will be an extended cut of the Sci-Fi Channel's "Dune" TV min-series, on 3 discs.

The film will be in DTS, and will have an extra 30 minutes of footage, bloating the film to a rather bum-numbing 295 minutes! :eek:

Personally, I think the set is a bit of a waste of money, unless you really loved the series! Though whether the extra half-hour will improve the series or not, remains to be seen.

Pooch

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I said that weeks ago! ;)

I am not sure there will ever be a Director's cut of the film. It seems David Lynch has disowned it, and the studio do not feel it would be profitable to produce it. Shame cos I think there is a great film in there somewhere.

Lex.

3. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I thought the Sci-fi channel's version was more faithful to the book than Lynch's earlier effort, but was still flawed. I ordered it on dvd on a whim and was very pleasantly surprised when I watched it. The extra 30 minutes (is that all, it felt like there was much more than that) really brought out some of the glossed over characters and gave it more of a feeling of the book. The extra features aren't too crappy either. I'd recommend it to a fan of the book. I doubt you'll ever get a better version.

4. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The extra footage is a bit misleading as I think this was always in the European version. They were cut from the US TV version because of family friendly TV content requirements. Therefore advantages are low price (1/2 the UK price although recent sales have had UK version at similar price level), DTS and more extras.

5. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I certainly saw scenes in the dvd version that I didn't on the Scifi channel's showing. Whether this was due to a trip to the loo or booze fuelled unconciousness I couldn't say.

6. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this in an online interview with the director. This was mainly because US TV would not allow the nudity which was acceptable for TV broadcast in Europe.
    Did not have Sky at the time so have only seen on DVD.