Dune D1 over 53D

St3

Standard Member
Hi folks

Hoping somebody can offer a real life experience of what the D1 is like compared to the 53D
I'm currently running a 53 which is in the following configuration.
Synology NAS hosting shared video and audio on the lan, 53 connected to same Ethernet switch streaming via HDMI to denon 1910, Denon hdmi to samsung D8000

All pretty straight forward and I have been really pleased with the overall results.
Now update urge is looming and I am tempted to go for a D1. Would anybody be in a position to offer insight into any quality improvement or overall user improvements that I could expect?

Thanks in advance

Ste

awink1

Distinguished Member
I might just be the man for the job :)

I have both and I am equally happy with both units with regards to picture quality and otherwise too.

What the D1 mainly gives you over the 53d is HD audio and full Blu Ray menus, where the 53d 'only' plays the DTS and Dolby cores when playing full Hd audio and you only get Blu Ray lite menus. The D1 also has a slightly faster chipset, but to me unnoticeable when in use, they're both very snappy to navigate.

Otherwise, I have yet to see either of them stumble... No freezing, no out of context reboots; both super stable high quality players.

Hope this helps

St3

Standard Member
I might just be the man for the job :)

I have both and I am equally happy with both units with regards to picture quality and otherwise too.

What the D1 mainly gives you over the 53d is HD audio and full Blu Ray menus, where the 53d 'only' plays the DTS and Dolby cores when playing full Hd audio and you only get Blu Ray lite menus. The D1 also has a slightly faster chipset, but to me unnoticeable when in use, they're both very snappy to navigate.

Otherwise, I have yet to see either of them stumble... No freezing, no out of context reboots; both super stable high quality players.

Hope this helps
Thats really helpful thank you. I actually find the 53 to be pretty good although HD audio would be a good addition

Looks like the 53 may be getting moved to the bedroom :)

What gets output onto the display?

Thanks

Ste

awink1

Distinguished Member
Do you mean audio wise? The 53d will downmix everything to stereo if required :)

MarkE19

What gets output onto the display?
The screen of the D1 will show the following:
In software standby it displays the time (full power down turns off the display)
When in the Dune menu system it shows where you are, ie on the sources tab it will say 'Sources' on the display.
When playing media it will display the time elapsed
etc.

Looking through the firmware pages will show the additions that were made, such as:
Added support to play music w/o using TV, using the front panel display.
- The name of the currently selected item of the file browser (e.g.
file/folder) is shown on the display.
- When playback of a file/audiotrack starts, its title is shown on the
display for a few seconds.
- The currently selected playlist item (when playlist browser is
activated by pressing POP UP MENU RC button during playback) is shown
on the display.
- Long names/titles are scrolled through the display.
- The new features can be disabled via settings in "Setup /
Miscellaneous / Built-in Display".

Added new possibilities for authors of FlashLite applications.
- Added support for showing specific text message on the front panel
display (for player models having front panel display) on startup of
FlashLite application.

Improved output to the front panel display.
- Improvement: when playing content having no known duration (such as
Internet radio stream), the title of the played item is shown instead
of meaningless playback counter.
Mark.

St3

Standard Member
Thanks Mark

Think thats just helped me to make a decision :) just got to find the best price now!
Scan seem to have had these on pre order for as along as I can remember

MarkE19

Well I would recommend you look at my-HTPC as they are a pound or two cheaper than Scan and the owner Graham Myers is a regular on this forum offering help and advice. But alas they are also out of stock but say stock is due within 5 days, so might be worth giving them a call to see if they know anything more on when they will get stock.
But whoever you decide to buy from I would advise that it is from one of the offical Dune resellers - Where to buy - distributors | Dune HD

Mark.

graham.myers

We were supposed to get our D1s in on Monday, but Dune cocked up. They should have been despatched yesterday so should be here on Friday (or Monday at the inclination of DPD.

Its been an unbelievable week for us with Dune. We got an order delivered on Monday (sans D1) and its pretty much all gone - it was supposed to be a month's stock :) I think its our full page ad in Home Cinema magazine :). Well maybe not lol

we (well I!) are (am) hankering after being the leading Dune reseller in the UK.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom