1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune 3hr cut hits in Sept

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rambo John J, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    Think I'll post it in the right section this time!

175 mins long
    Widescreen (don't know about anamorphic)

If I remember right, Jason was after this a while ago...I'm probably wrong though.

Blackstar have got it up for preorders, and Apocalypse Now, hitting Oct 2 by all accounts. Does anyone have any news on features for that one? Same as R1?

------------------
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blackstar seem to have some of their details wrong for the Dune 3hr version.

1) It is not "The Full Length Version", the full length version is the 135min version that is already out. The 3hr version is a studio extended re-edit version designed for TV.

2) The Director is listed as David Lynch, this is incorrect, David Lynch did not authorise the re-edit of the film and so forced the Studio to remove his name from the credits and not use his name in any advertising for the 3hr TV version. He hates the TV edit.

3) It will most proberly be Pan&Scam as some of the additional scenes were only filmed in 4:3 (as it's designed for TV).

4) The original release (135minutes) is the only Director approved version available.

5) The TV versions Director should be credited with the industry pseudonym of Alan Smithee.

-----------------------------------------

Extras will be minimal:
    theatrical trailer and a poster booklet (basically the same booklet that is in the current release but with revised notes)

It will be in Stereo.

Some of the scenes lacks the blue color in the Fremen's eyes, indicating that the scenes were cut before special f/x were added.

Will be interesting to see how different the film is in the 3hr cut. As some scenes have been moved around, added or removed.

See http://members.aol.com/hiphats/arrakis1.html
    for the difference between the theatrical version and the TV version.

A third version exists, adding some of the viloent scenes back in to the 3hr version. This version is rare and starts off with the Universal logo (the 3hr cut does not have the Universal logo)

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    Yeah, I always knew there were a lot of anomalies surrounding this one but as a big Lynch fan it's something I've always wanted to get my hands on, Director approved or not, just as a curio more than anything and to see if it could go some way towards making the original cuts narrative a little more linear. Personally I'd rather see the 5 hour 1st cut Lynch submitted but we all know that'll never happen, the same way we'll never see the 6 hour Thin Red Line, even as a mini-series for tv.

I don't expect the disc to set any standards in dvd presentation, but it's one of those that could easily slip past interested parties if someone didn't mention it. I guess this is as much Lynch's vision of Dune as Blade Runner Dir cut is Ridley Scotts seeing as both these were cobbled together by the studio rather than the director.

------------------
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hey,

Avoid the 3hr cut of DUNE at all costs!!!! This DVD should win the award for Worst DVD Transfer Ever, in History!

Whilst I haven't seen the whole of the movie yet, nor can I comment too much on the differences, you should be warned that this DVD has the worst transfer I have ever witnessed! It makes some VCD's look like the Region 1 version of "The Abyss"!! I shall even go so far as to say, that it made my VHS copy look impressive! :0

A waste of £15-99! Plus, almost all of the violent scenes (including Paul Atreides being tested by the Bene Gesserit Mother, and his hand burning inside the box; parts of the segment where Brad Dourif's character spits over Jessica Atreides and other various sequences) have been removed or heavily censored.

Having said that, this version is very different in tone and content to the Lynch version, and is worth viewing for that reason alone.

Castle Home Video - the authors of this DVD should be banned from authoring any DVD's, as they are the same company who released the Region 2 pan & scan copy of "Blue Velvet". Having said that, they have now re-released it, in Widescreen, with a 45 minute Dennis Hopper interview and trailer, but still not in Surround or Dolby 5.1!

As soon as I can find out who this company is, and where they are, I intend writing to them to complain about these DVD's in the strongest way possible, as they are ruining one of my favourite director's works!!!

A Disgruntled Pooch!

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This kind of thing annoys me. Allright, David Lynch didn't like the Studio cut and wanted his name removing from it...fair enough, but for Gaawwds sake , dosn't he realise that there are fans out there that know his version back to front and are hungry for other' stuff' that is about!!

Why dosn't he authorize a 'real' special edition set, that would include ALL versions of the movie, in anamorphic widescreen with DD 5.1 soundtracks and loads of extras (as I am positive there must be!).

Yes, I know that would be a VERY long set of discs (2 x DVD18 poss??)but wouldn't it be worth it....even if the saking price was about $50!!

David Lynch could even record a special introduction explaining the differences between his and the studios version of the movie and why he didn't like what they had done!

I see this movie as one of the biggest wasted opportunities as far as DVD goes and I just hope that some manufacturer realises this soon and does somthing about it!!

------------------
    " Sunset's are beautiful, new born babies are beautiful, this....this is fuc*ing spectacular!"

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Jason,

Lynch "disowned" the longer version of "Dune" because he felt that the newly-imposed narration cheapened the quality of the film, as a whole. In his words, he felt it removed the "mystical quality" of the film.

We can but hope that someone, somewhere, can get hold of a pristine print of the 3hr variant, which is in Dolby 5.1 Surround and/or DTS, in full 2.35:1 widescreen, with a documentary, behind-the-scenes materials, interviews, a commentary (full length, if poss) and loads of other extras... but somehow, it is unlikely, as the longer variant was made for TV, so it will always be in a 4:3 ratio! DAMN, BUGGER, and BLAST IT!

Pooch

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloody Directors.......tempramental bunch that they are...lol.

I still think it would be a good set and a chance for a Director to show WHY he didn't like the alternate version whilst giving everyone a chance to see it!!! (and earn him some more money!!)

Regarding the 3 hour cut...were the origonal inter positives of the scenes that were added to the TV version (in the origonal aspect ratio) lost?? Do they only exist in a 4:3 ratio or is there the posssibility that someone, somewhere will unearth the 2.35:1 scenes and re-insert them??

As you say......we can but hope!!

------------------
    " Sunset's are beautiful, new born babies are beautiful, this....this is fuc*ing spectacular!"

8. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    What it somebody took one of Woody Allen's B & W movies, say STARDUST MEMORIES and colourized it without his consent. Or, if the studio took ZARDOZ and interweaved it with scenes from WIZARD OF OZ, where does it stop? When the director sez the film is complete, I agree with him! Look at the can of worms being opened here. What's sacred? Are films to be sampled like music? Or what? I will never buy this DVD!!!!!!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

[This message has been edited by Rachael Bitchlist (edited 23-09-2000).]

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I have to admit, that Rachael brings up an interesting point.

Director's have the right to say if they want their name attached to a new version of their original product. And, in theory, films could end up being like most modern music - that is, just a rehash of other people's works - which in my opinion is not a good thing, nor does it show any talent.

Having said that, I am all for different versions of films, director-approved or not, but the versions should be properly mastered for DVD, not taken from a camcorder pointed at a badly tuned 4:3 TV print, with a mono soundtrack, that has then been trampled on by someone in muddy footwear and then scrumpled up into a ball, just to add the final finishing touch! Which appears to have been what has happened to the 3hr DVD version of Dune!

I can only presume a 2.35:1 version of the 3hr edition, no longer exists. Maybe, in years to come, in some dark, dingy vault, a 90 year old will unearth the one-and-only remaining print of Dune, that they purchased with many other old reels of films, from their local Dunstable car boot sale for a tenner, and contact either Anchor Bay or the British Film Institute!

We can, but hope....!

Pooch

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, have to admit it is a good point....It is just that I am one of those people who wants EVERYTHING to do with films I love...including versions that the director didn't approve!
    I for one though would LOVE a newly recorded interview with Lynch going through his vision of the movie, how it changed from pen from script to screen, what he would change now.....and what he didn't like about the TV version and why. I think that kind of thing would be more interesting to fans than the usual director going on about why he removed a three second sequence for time reasons and has now put it back for the 'special edition'!

As you say Pooch, we can but hope......

------------------

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    I've been away so I missed all this, but I'd just like to say I've got it, I like it, I don't care about the aspect ratio or sound, and the transfer is nowhere near as bad as Pooch said....not in my opinion, anyway. I bought it as a curio myself and it'll always be just that. I love Lynch and just wanted to see what they'd done to it.

And Pooch, it was Baron Harkonnen that gobbed on Francesca Annis (Pauls Mum) not the chap played by Brad Dourif.
    Surely someone that hated this version of Dune so much would know enough about the original version to get THAT right.
    And the stuff with Pauls hand in the box is still there, despite a lot of the violence being exorcised.

It's just a movie anyway, so what's all the fuss about???

------------------
    I don't believe in voodoo...

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Rambo,

You said: "Surely someone that hated this version of Dune so much would know enough about the original version to get THAT right.
    And the stuff with Pauls hand in the box is still there, despite a lot of the violence being exorcised."

I DON'T hate this version of Dune, I just think that the transfer is one of the worst I've ever seen! As for getting my facts wrong, I apologise. It's been at least two years since I last saw Lynch's original version, so I it was a simple error. We can't all be as (seemingly) perfect like you!

Pooch

P.S. The word you are looking for is "excised" not "exorcised"!

13. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I'm with the Directors.

A photographer does not let someone edit his pictures and display them.

You don't paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

A lot of the best directors see their work as art. Which it is. Particularly with people such as Lynch. He has created the movie as a "whole". It has an ambience and atmosphere which woul dbe easy to wreck with tinkering.

The whole idea of editing is to get the best shots and put them together in a way that makes a film cohere in the way the director sees fit.

Imagine you amde a film, years of your life put into it, which you are intensely proud of, and which portrays a finely balanced effect. The some **** with publishing rights tinkers with it and releases an edit which has more of an atmosphere akin to TeleTubies. You'd be furious.

I know some films are just films. But there are a lot of "artists" out there. And they definately produce the films that stay with us the longest. And I think their views on their own material ought to be respected.

Unless of course they sell the rights. Idiots!