Dune (2021) 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Great review. I imported this and watched this a couple of nights ago. What a treat. the film, visuals and audio all sublime. Easily one of the best the format has and will definitely benefit from repeat viewing.
The cost of importing was £19 or thereabouts which is cheaper than the U.K. rrp as well as being a month earlier. No brainer.

Great review Cas.
I imported too and have had 3 views so far (have never seen the original), can’t wait for part 2.
The audio is superb, provides a real speaker workout and Zimmers score including space bag pipes really adds to it. If I hadn’t listened to the soundtrack separately, it would be hard to separate score from sound design, they work beautifully together.
PQ is superb too, but UK Oled owners, save it for post 1600hrs and you will be rewarded with the extra detail in the dark scenes and there is plenty of it (something I love about his films (Arrival too)).

Havent see this, shall I blind buy? I never do that!

I've said it elsewhere but I'm still (pleasantly) surprised by how well the film has done because it doesnt explain much at all from what I remember of my only watch at the cinema. In fact, the Lynch film explains more if anything.

I really enjoyed this at the cinema and I will buy the 4k disc for a repeat viewing. Read the books years ago and watched the 1980's version. I agree that this film stood out from the 2021 releases - George

I pre-ordered French 4k steel book which will also come with 3d release. 3D RELEASE of Dune! Love you Denis V. :)

I think it is another month of waiting for me but that is ok.

It’s a beautiful looking movie, no doubt but 10/10 ? In the eye of the beholder as I love sci fi movies but this is quite emotionally cold and its difficult to engage with the characters. I really didn’t care what happened to them and I shouldn’t have felt that way.

Excellent review and I agree with the 10 for the movie. This is my favourite film of the year! I also pre-ordered the UK steelbooks (haven’t decided which version to keep yet!) and am now wishing I had ordered from Italy…

spot on review 10 all the way, got from a.it before xmas and have watched it 4 times ,everything i wanted dune to be with d.villeneuve in charge,epic disc.

Seen this 3 times now but have had the UHD on order for a while.

If this movie doesn’t win the Oscar for costumes I will be amazed.

My fear going to see this, not having read the book or seen the earlier movie, was that I would struggle to follow the story but how wrong was I. It took me a while to get used to all the strange wording and recalling the names of all the different houses but a second viewing helped with that. I went back to the cinema ( Unlimited Card ) for a second viewing because, for me, the film was just down right epic. Not a lot of movies these days can live up to that imo. This was movie and story telling in the grandest sense for me and sadly the kind of movie that doesn’t get made as much as I’d like these days.
For me, Denis Villeneuve hasn’t put a foot wrong recently and as made some of my favourite movies of late. He’s three for three on sci-fi movies now. Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and now Dune. All three movies totally different but fantastic in their premise, execution and story telling. Easily one of my favourite directors working today.
Dune, for me was easily my favourite movie of 2021 and can’t wait for part two.

' Godfather meets Star Wars....'
What a brilliant headline!!!!!! Love it!
I never got round to see this first time round but certainly will get this now.
All of the trailers I have seen make it look stunning
Noone I know has seen this, but I really fancy this. Enjoyed the review & really has whet the appetite!
It better be good Cas!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom