Dune (2021) 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

dante01

Distinguished Member
Warner tend to use identical discs for the whole of Europe (unless it’s censored in certain countries), so they don’t generally use burnt in subs.

The subs do appear to be burnt in for the extracts not spoken in English throughout the film. THis means that there mist be different branches for each of these scenes with the burnt in subs in different languages? They are not forced subs and are burnt in.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
The subs do appear to be burnt in for the extracts not spoken in English throughout the film. THis means that there mist be different branches for each of these scenes with the burnt in subs in different languages? They are not forced subs and are burnt in.
So if you choose a different non-English language on the disc, how is it displayed?

Thinking back, on Dark Knight Blu-ray it has some burned in English subs in the Hong Kong scenes (location names, not sure about the spoken Chinese) & if you play it in German/French etc, it adds extra German/French subs above the burnt in English subs.

dante01

Distinguished Member
So if you choose a different non-English language on the disc, how is it displayed?

Thinking back, on Dark Knight Blu-ray it has some burned in English subs in the Hong Kong scenes (location names, not sure about the spoken Chinese) & if you play it in German/French etc, it adds extra German/French subs above the burnt in English subs.

Not tried that yet, but I've ripped the film for storage on my NAS and the film plays with the scenes where translations appear with those translations despite the film not being ripped with any subs. I'd have to therefore conclude that those scenes include the translation as burnt in translations and not forced subs.

I can on;y suggest that branching may have been used, but this makes the atoring of the disc nore complex than it really needed to be.

Examp;e, from about 41 minutes into the film:

by default 2022-02-28 at 10.36.09.png

and there are no subs included that would create what you see above:

by default 2022-02-28 at 10.37.16.png

Neither have I burnt them in dueing the encoding.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the scenes where Freman for example is spoken and a translation appears include that translation burnt into the video. They are not forced subs.

Last edited:

Evinger

Distinguished Member
@dante01 & @hippo99
Thanks for your replies & time. I went off to the cabinet & ran a few disks, and of course could not find any examples of the overwriting :) . I'm now wondering if I have only seen it on Amazon streams - living here, I subscribe to Amazon.de and watch quite a few Movies that way. Could be that the overwrites there are what I am thinking of (In other words, although I choose the English soundtrack without subtitles, the German video part has the overwrites built in anyway.
Sorry to have derailed this thread somewhat!

dante01

Distinguished Member
@dante01 & @hippo99
Thanks for your replies & time. I went off to the cabinet & ran a few disks, and of course could not find any examples of the overwriting :) . I'm now wondering if I have only seen it on Amazon streams - living here, I subscribe to Amazon.de and watch quite a few Movies that way. Could be that the overwrites there are what I am thinking of (In other words, although I choose the English soundtrack without subtitles, the German video part has the overwrites built in anyway.
Sorry to have derailed this thread somewhat!

Yes, but are the scenes where someone if speaking in Fremen translated into English or German? Those translations are burnt into the video and are not created by subs or forced subs. If appearing in anything but English then this suggests that the scenes themselves were authored for dfferent languages with different translations burnt into the video?

Last edited:

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Yep, it is Amazon - my 4K disk of Hunt for Red October only shows the English, but streamed from Amazon with English language & no subtitles selected, you get this:-
IMG_20220228_120308198_HDR.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Amazon streaming service would use the language preferences you set to determine whether or not to disaplay subs and in what language. THose subs are not burnt into the film and are being superimposed over the top of it. Amazon are not encoding everything they stream so that they have burnt in subs for multiple languages.

In the case of Red October, I'd assume that a German version with German titles was actually made by the studio. The film would also include forced subs for the scenes where Rissioan os being spoken. You'd obviously want these forced subs to appear in your native language. I'd assume the Amazon app is simply in alignment with your preferrred language set out in the main configurations for that app?

AS you can see, the preferred language is determined by what you select via the main language ptreferences in the settings:

by default 2022-02-28 at 11.49.11.png

I'd assume that your setting is set to German. hence why the subs and/orthe forced subs you get are in German?

Last edited:

Evinger

Distinguished Member
The Amazon streaming service would use the language preferences you set to determine whether or not to disaplay subs and in what language. THose subs are not burnt into the film and are being superimposed over the top of it. Amazon are not encoding everything they stream so that they have burnt in subs for multiple languages.

In the case of Red October, I'd assume that a German version with German titles was actually made by the studio. The film would also include Forced subs for the scenes where Rissioan os being spoken. You'd obviously want these forced subs to appear in youe=r native language. I'd assume the Amazon app is simply in alignment with your preferrred language set out in the main configurations for that app or maybe even in association with your regional location?
The preferred language on my Amazon.de account is set to English, and much of Amazon Prime Video main screen comes up in English. Also if I have stream watched a Movie while out of Germany, I still see these extra subtitles (So not location related). So it seems that as I am with Amazon.de, whatever I watch will have these extra german translations (Just to be clear: it is only translations of text on the screen, not permanent subtitles of everything said).
Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 13.10.40.png

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, the streaming services are mostly locked to the region you signed up to. This also prevents you accessing content that may have not have been sanctioned for distribuition in all regions that the service is available in. There's not much difference between what is available in one region when compared to another these days though.

By the way, the same is true of Amazon Prime accounts. You can use an Amazon account to login anywhere, but your Prime account is only valid in the region you opened it.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Found an example where the English seems to have been fully replaced:-.
Doctor Doolittle.
Here it is with English language no subtitles (It is exactly the same set to German language, no subtitles.)
IMG_20220228_145112345_HDR.jpg

If I set it to English, with English subtitles, I get this
IMG_20220228_145213823_HDR.jpg

So the English is completely gone!

MikeTheBike2010

Yep, it is Amazon - my 4K disk of Hunt for Red October only shows the English, but streamed from Amazon with English language & no subtitles selected, you get this:-
View attachment 1661041
We get this on Amazon, eg in The Expanse, whenever writing come up on screen there is a German Translation in the subtitles (we have subs switched off but everything set to English)? We are viewing via a Roku stick?

Evinger

Distinguished Member
We get this on Amazon, eg in The Expanse, whenever writing come up on screen there is a German Translation in the subtitles (we have subs switched off but everything set to English)? We are viewing via a Roku stick?
Yep, it is burnt into the German editions, it seems

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom