DUNE (October 2021) directed by Denis Villeneuve

Not voting is the mind-killer. ...

Results are only viewable after voting.
You're joking right? Have you seen Traffic? A movie about the Mexican border, drugs and stars Benicio de Toro.

Sicario. A movie about the Mexican border, drugs and stars Benicio de Toro. LMAO. He even uses the same actor.

Have you seen Contact? A movie about a woman who discovers the existence of intelligent aliens by deciphering radio signals, who then try to blow them up.

Arrival. A movie about a woman who makes contact with intelligent aliens by deciphering patterns, who then try to blow them up.

Blade Runner 2049 a bad copy of Blade Runner.

Dune 2020 a remake of Dune 84.

DV just takes other peoples works and remakes them and then people call him original.

I don't think my heads gone I think people need to get of the DV coolaid.

For the sake of argument (as I see now there's very little point), I suggest you watch every film you've just mentioned again.

Also how is his new Dune a remake of the old Dune?

He's adapting the novel into two parts. His own vision of doing it.

My point isn't how good each movie is, each to their own.

People are claiming DV as being an original film maker while using Sicario as a flawred example. I'm just pointing out that is not the case as other films came before covering the same ground. Not only does Sicario uses the same subject matter but also the same actor. Coincidence? Or do you think DV never saw Traffic before making Sicario?

Why is DV making so many remakes? Why doesn't find a book and create his own identity? His own franchise? His own Style? Is it because he can't? Or is it because no Studio believes he can make something original either?

Looking at IMDB his next project is....................................wait for it.................................another remake!

View attachment 1286559
I can see this is something that is really hurting you. I think you should try to avoid this thread and do something nice for yourself. If you really want it, you can let this stop eating you from the inside. Think what you're life was like before you discovered the films of Denis Villeneuve. If that was your happy place and you really want it, it can be again. You just have to want it bad enough.

@Atmos
Take break from this thread please and haranguing those who are interest in this movie :nono:
Otherwise one may be enforced on you.
I’ve tidied the thread. Please stay on topic.

Ah come on Atmos adds some pure entertainment in these difficult times. I'd love to see a Michael Bay version of Dune, just for Atmos!

Have you seen Contact? A movie about a woman who discovers the existence of intelligent aliens by deciphering radio signals, who then try to blow them up.

Arrival. A movie about a woman who makes contact with intelligent aliens by deciphering patterns, who then try to blow them up.
I've seen both of these. They are completely different. They are based on completely different books. I'm not sure what you thought you saw. They are both original. Whether you like either of them is up to you but you can't say Arrival is not original because of Contact.

It's a bit like saying Lethal Weapon and Bad Boys are the same film because they are both buddy cop movies. Or Robocop and Terminator because they have robots in. Or Alien and Ghostbusters because Sigourney Weaver.

I never got to see what Atmos replied to me with as looks like it was removed, but I do hope he seeks out all the films he's mentioned and watches them again.

I never got to see what Atmos replied to me with as looks like it was removed, but I do hope he seeks out all the films he's mentioned and watches them again.

Based on past form I dont think he's open to any opinion but his own.

However my own feeling is Denis Villeneuve has just the same penchant for variety, originality and excellence as the best of them. Although his style is completely different, he reminds me of Kubrick in choosing diverse projects.

Polytechnique - completely original screenplay based on a horrific real life event, probably close to his heart as a Canadian.
Incendies - completely unique and based on a Lebanese play by Wajdi Mouawad.
Enemy- completely unique, loosely adapted from José Saramago's 2002 novel The Double.
Prisoners -original screenplay
Sicario- original screenplay
Arrival- adapted screenplay based on a short story by Ted Chiang
Blade Runner 2049 - original screenplay. a sequel, but certainly not a rehash of the 1982 film.

Even if you hate his films, you can't exactly call him a rip off merchant.

If Denis Villeneuve is a ripoff merchant, than what is Tarantino? There aren’t many film directors who haven’t been influenced by something or other but it depends on what you do with it that matters. Although Tarantino clearly takes a lot from the films that he watched, I enjoy his storytelling style and his flair for dialogue; it doesn’t feel to me like its direct plagiarism. What about Brian De Palma (70s, 80s and 90s version!)? Is he just a Hitchcock copycat? Of course he isn’t, as his admiration for Hitch, coupled with his technical panache, gave him his own signature style.

By the way, I’ve never watched Lynch’s Dune but this thread has DEFINITELY piqued my interest to see DV’s version!

I remember the VHS box in my video store but I never got around to renting it out!

354FD9FF-449D-48DF-8074-F056E23F0512.jpeg

Also, the only DV film I’ve seen thus far is Arrival! :blush: :confused:

Based on past form I dont think he's open to any opinion but his own.

However my own feeling is Denis Villeneuve has just the same penchant for variety, originality and excellence as the best of them. Although his style is completely different, he reminds me of Kubrick in choosing diverse projects.

Polytechnique - completely original screenplay based on a horrific real life event, probably close to his heart as a Canadian.
Incendies - completely unique and based on a Lebanese play by Wajdi Mouawad.
Enemy- completely unique, loosely adapted from José Saramago's 2002 novel The Double.
Prisoners -original screenplay
Sicario- original screenplay
Arrival- adapted screenplay based on a short story by Ted Chiang
Blade Runner 2049 - original screenplay. a sequel, but certainly not a rehash of the 1982 film.

Even if you hate his films, you can't exactly call him a rip off merchant.

I know I'm not the biggest DV fan on the planet, but I do know a decent director when I see one. And he has his own touch most certainly. Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival the standouts of his for me.

Comparisons already with Lynch's Dune are just ludicrous though. Lynch is in a league - and a world - of his own; his heads constantly gone in fact. They will be completely different films and in no way can an insinuation be made of DV's version being a remake of Lynch's movie.

I quite fancy watching it again myself now. Loved it when it came out, but I seemed to be in the minority at the time. If anyone's watched recently - how's it aged?

I quite fancy watching it again myself now. Loved it when it came out, but I seemed to be in the minority at the time. If anyone's watched recently - how's it aged?

I thought I'd seen it quite recently, but turns out it was 8 years ago! Basically the visual effects have dated poorly but everything else not too shabby.

It is a guilty pleasure of mine ever since i recorded off of C4 back in '89 and watched it pretty much every other day over that summer as that is the year i left school. I still watch it maybe once every 18 months or so, but now watch a fan edit which inserted some cut scenes and change a few things around. If Lynch had been left to it he was really on the right track with Dune but alas he wasnt and the rest as they say is history.

I still enjoy Lynch's Dune regularly. The visual FX themselves have dated, but I've never felt that impacted on the overall film. Some sections play better than others but it's still an arresting spectacle to watch, for me. And, as much as he hates it after the arduous process of getting it on the screen, It's still one of my favourite Lynch flicks

TBH, I vaguely remember recording it off tv in my teens, I’d seen it was a stinker and massive flop but I thought I’d give it a go.
Not finishing it through boredom are my overriding memories.
Should I revisit ?

I liked it but many didn't. Its definitely a case of 'if you haven't read the book forget it.'

TBH, I vaguely remember recording it off tv in my teens, I’d seen it was a stinker and massive flop but I thought I’d give it a go.
Not finishing it through boredom are my overriding memories.
Should I revisit ?

Are you a fan of David Lynch generally? If so its worth watching on those terms, and the cast is to die for.

Dune = a glorious entertaining mess

Love it. Never read the book so some bits can be a bit random but i thought the general gist of it was there to see. The visuals (though some effects have dated badly) are wonderful and the cast is chock full of talent. Even Sting is alright!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom