DUNE (20 November, 2020) directed by Denis Villeneuve

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
A longstanding dream of mine is to adapt “Dune,” but it’s a long process to get the rights, and I don’t think I will succeed
never say never, I guess, but that doesn't really sound promising at the moment

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
The danger here is that it might become one of those tiresome teenage dystopian films but I'm willing to take the chance!

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Huh? :confused:

ok...By doing what?

Are you in one of your cryptic moods, Jim? :)
Not really. But Id be worried about it being turned into a new franchise of safe 12-rated teeny sci-fi dystopian nonsense. That would be the way to sell it and make money too...

Lusankya

Been after this for years. Please let it happen.

SDMDAM

I am not a fan of the stories so did the film with Kyle McLachlan and Sting not do justice to the books?

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I am not a fan of the stories so did the film with Kyle McLachlan and Sting not do justice to the books?
Its...different to the books. I just love the film even if Lynch disowns it. Its so...different to everything else and Lynch's style is there for all to see. I think its actually got better with age if anything.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I love David Lynch's Dune and never tire of watching it. Lynch is a visionary genius. But he's an auteur director and his stamp tends to override the story. Also the special effects aren't up to much (despite the lavish sets and costumes) and its style is a bit... unconventional. It'll always have a place in my heart but I dont think anyone would say its definitive.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Cool , this universe needs going back to , whoever the director to take it on , if said director feels the need to take it on then he has an idea of the universe. TBH I'm just glad that someone has the balls to revisit Dune.

This news has made my day , thanks :).

SDMDAM

I remember quite liking the movie when I went to see it but I am not sure I have seen it since. I am always up for good sci-fi.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
I love David Lynch's Dune and never tire of watching it. Lynch is a visionary genius. But he's an auteur director and his stamp tends to override the story. Also the special effects aren't up to much (despite the lavish sets and costumes) and its style is a bit... unconventional. It'll always have a place in my heart but I dont think anyone would say its definitive.
The first half in particular is almost excellent. Goes off the rails a bit in the second half a bit, though there's some nice worm action. Gorgeous design throughout and a brilliantly evil and unpleasant Baron Harkonnen. Great score by Toto too. :thumbsup:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
The first half in particular is almost excellent. Goes off the rails a bit in the second half a bit, though there's some nice worm action. Gorgeous design throughout and a brilliantly evil and unpleasant Baron Harkonnen. Great score by Toto too. :thumbsup:
Just one bit for an example. The bit where the Emperor meets the Navigators. Just so great! Why cant we have a sci-fi film like that but all the way through?! (you know what I mean!)

sebbykin

Distinguished Member
The TV series is worth a watch as well

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
as much as I'd like to see someone do Dune justice and do it properly, I can't really see that there'd be a big enough audience for it that could make enough money to justify the budget something like this would need to get it on film and get it right.
I think Denis Villeneuve is probably the right guy to tackle it but, even if he does and he gets it spot on, I don't think the film would make enough money to allow him to make more than one film, and you can't do Dune in one film. They tried before and proved it can't be done. Lynch's film is glorious to look at and I fell in love with it the first time I saw it as a kid, but it took a few watches to get my head around what was going on. For it to be the kind of financial success it'd need to be, I think it'd have to be dumbed down to Star Wars levels, and as a story I think it deserves better than that. Not that there's anything wrong with Star Wars, it's a popcorn crowd pleaser, but Dune is so much more than that.
If Lynch's version remains the only cinematic interpretation we get I can live with that. I didn't like the TV version personally, even if in a lot of ways it's the more appropriate version. There's something about the cast and design of Dave's film that really makes it rise above it's shortcomings and flaws

sebbykin

Distinguished Member
"as much as I'd like to see someone do Dune justice and do it properly, I can't really see that there'd be a big enough audience for it that could make enough money to justify the budget something like this would need to get it on film and get it right."

It worked for Lord of the Rings, so it can be done:lesson:

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
As much as i personally love the Dune Series & have a soft spot for the Lynch version lets face it the script was a mess i'd even go as far to say the tv mini series was far better in that regards as its far truer to the books & at the end of the day there's just no way i can see it being made again if ever given the current climate in the world & i am not sure the general public would be into what Dune is really all about but then you have to have read all the original series to understand what Frank was warning us all about because it's what follows Paul that's really important as Dune is just the first chapter (not including the Butlerian Jihad) to a might story.

Last edited: