Dune (1984) Limited Edition 4K UHD

Koch Media releasing a special 7-disc Dune: Ultimate Edition box set featuring the newly-restored Theatrical Cut in 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray, along with 2 Blu-ray discs of bonus features, TWO different versions of the Extended TV Edition on Blu-ray (apparently restored in HD mostly from film, with some portions sourced from analog video tape where film no longer exists), and the film’s soundtrack on CD. The package will also include the Ron Miller production design book, a booklet with an essay by Paul Poet, and a reproduction of the Marvel Comics adaptation by Bill Sienkiewicz and Ralph Macchio (not that Ralph Macchio).

Dune - Der Wüstenplanet (Ultimate Edition, 4K-UHD + 5 Blu-rays) (exklusiv im Koch Films Shop)-1025755

Yeah its been discussed in the Deluxe 4K steelbook thread. Nothing apparently restored about the Extended TV edition being HD - I own it already! The 2-disc German Blu-ray is OOP. It looks great given the drop in quality for the extra 41 minutes. It does have a very tiny anomaly which lasts about a second (blink and you'll miss it trust me) which is being fixed for the new Ultimate Edition but basically if you've got it already like me, you don't need the new one. Spicediver fan-edit is SD only so that's a big negative from me.

112601_large.jpg

Stick with the Deluxe Steelbook. Buy it while you can...

Always thought it was a super ensemble cast even if the movie did not fully fulfil its potential. Pre-ordered, thanks for the tip.

Shame there doc on The thing was great. I'am assuming either Lynch did'nt want it included or Dino's daughter.

Shame there doc on The thing was great. I'am assuming either Lynch did'nt want it included or Dino's daughter.

According to Ballyhoo films the doc's completion was delayed by a few weeks and Arrow pulled it. Now waiting to see if it will be released otherwise in due course or not.

Given Arrow have delayed releases in the past to add a new extra seems strange they would'nt delay this for a few more weeks.

Given Arrow have delayed releases in the past to add a new extra seems strange they would'nt delay this for a few more weeks.

Yes, it seems odd that they would decide to continue without it - and then that reply from the Ballyhoo guy - what's going on here?

There's a forthcoming separate German 4K release also supposed to include the same doc...

If Arrow do indeed go forward without it. Its poor form on their part and another step down yet again since Zavii purchased part of the company.

No new information, but strong words from The Digital Bits:

That's a shame. It might nudge me to wait until later in the year when I'd expect a standard edition to surface (the bonus disc isn't billed as being exclusive to the Collector's Ed, so I'd expect a normal Amaray package to still be a two-disc set).

That's a shame. It might nudge me to wait until later in the year when I'd expect a standard edition to surface (the bonus disc isn't billed as being exclusive to the Collector's Ed, so I'd expect a normal Amaray package to still be a two-disc set).

It does make the collector's editions suddenly a lot less attractive - they already lacked the extended cut still being released in Germany.

Right now I'm concerned whether the documentary will ever be released at all. I was anxious to watch it - bonus materials for Dune have always seemed thin on the ground.

If Arrow were just going to shelve the documentary without any clear reason or plan for future release I would have to strongly consider cancelling my preorder.

The consensus on Twitter seems to be that they should just delay the release by a month or two to allow the documentary to be included - that would seem sensible so I'm curious to know why they apparently don't want to do that...

It does make the collector's editions suddenly a lot less attractive - they already lacked the extended cut still being released in Germany.

Right now I'm concerned whether the documentary will ever be released at all. I was anxious to watch it - bonus materials for Dune have always seemed thin on the ground.

Is it not also due to be on the German release? It's not an Arrow produced documentary so Ballyhoo should still be free to do with it as they wish.

Dune's not a film I love, but one I am fascinated with nevertheless (and do find things to admire about it), so wrapping the film with as many interesting bonus features as possible was of great appeal here.

In Arrow's defence, there's still a bounty of extras on offer with their release, much of them being legacy content sure, but the new commentaries and shorter documentaries about the music and merchandising are still of great interest. The promise of a new feature length documentary was unquestionably a highlight though, so it's taken a bit of a shine off of my eagerness to pick up the UHD on release (I'm typically not one to chase collector's editions these days unless there are any disc related bonuses that I'd personally consider of value, which isn't the case here as, again, disc two is not being billed as an exclusive to the Collector's Ed. So it'd kind of come down to how much I'd also like the 60 page booklet vs waiting for a cheaper standard edition release in the winter).

The consensus on Twitter seems to be that they should just delay the release by a month or two to allow the documentary to be included - that would seem sensible so I'm curious to know why they apparently don't want to do that...

I can only assume that things are cutting it too close to their bookings for pressing the discs and producing the packaging. The fact it's a release set for both sides of the Atlantic may have made it doubly hard to slam the breaks, and Arrow certainly wouldn't want a scenario where it could potentially be delayed in one territory but not another resulting in one country getting the documentary but not the other.

Is it not also due to be on the German release? It's not an Arrow produced documentary so Ballyhoo should still be free to do with it as they wish.

Dune's not a film I love, but one I am fascinated with nevertheless (and do find things to admire about it), so wrapping the film with as many interesting bonus features as possible was of great appeal here.

In Arrow's defence, there's still a bounty of extras on offer with their release, much of them being legacy content sure, but the new commentaries and shorter documentaries about the music and merchandising are still of great interest. The promise of a new feature length documentary was unquestionably a highlight though, so it's taken a bit of a shine off of my eagerness to pick up the UHD on release (I'm typically not one to chase collector's editions these days unless there are any disc related bonuses that I'd personally consider of value, which isn't the case here as, again, disc two is not being billed as an exclusive to the Collector's Ed. So it'd kind of come down to how much I'd also like the 60 page booklet vs waiting for a cheaper standard edition release in the winter).

I can only assume that things are cutting it too close to their bookings for pressing the discs and producing the packaging. The fact it's a release set for both sides of the Atlantic may have made it doubly hard to slam the breaks, and Arrow certainly wouldn't want a scenario where it could potentially be delayed in one territory but not another resulting in one country getting the documentary but not the other.

Apparently the German release will still have the documentary:

"Daniel plans to finish this week, for us it is still fully within the framework of the deadline. Unfortunately, this seems too late for Arrow, who have significantly longer lead times due to US sales, delivery etc. We just hope that nothing comes up again, but we don't have to change anything at the moment."

In a way that's good - the nightmare scenario would have been Arrow shelving the documentary for rights or other issues permanently. I hope I still get to see it although it seems expensive/impossible to order the Koch set outside of Germany. Perhaps it will get a separate disc or streaming release elsewhere? Do Ballyhoo ever release their stuff independently?

It does take the shine off the Arrow set though - there must be some reason why they can't delay production but apparently the doc has been in production for at least 9 months so it's galling if it just misses the "deadline".

Of course then there'll be an "even more ultimate" set released somewhere down the line - with the advent of 4K UHD I was really hoping to be able to buy some films for the last time ever (ha ha).

I'am going to go for the Koch release. Alternate cuts of the film and they are including the Doc. Dick move by Arrow/Zavvi dropping the doc.

if the big german set was freely available i think thats where my money would go, as it is, I'm on the fence to keep my order or not. I do like the look of that book, but the new long doc was a big part of my desire to order early

There doesn't seem like much point ordering the German set when all the extra materials, books, etc are going to be in German, just to get an extra cut and documentary for practically twice the price. I mean I love the film but not that much.

There doesn't seem like much point ordering the German set when all the extra materials, books, etc are going to be in German, just to get an extra cut and documentary for practically twice the price. I mean I love the film but not that much.

Does anyone know whether the extended cut will be true HD on the Koch release? Has it ever been released that way? I still only have the old Universal double-sided DVD version which was at least in widescreen and not-bad quality for SD.

Re. the documentary, surely it will become available via other means? E.g. disc or streaming? If it's been produced independently of Arrow surely Ballyhoo will want to release this in the US/UK one way or another...

It's just annoying that the Koch version seems so much more complete.

Does anyone know whether the extended cut will be true HD on the Koch release? Has it ever been released that way? I still only have the old Universal double-sided DVD version which was at least in widescreen and not-bad quality for SD.

Re. the documentary, surely it will become available via other means? E.g. disc or streaming? If it's been produced independently of Arrow surely Ballyhoo will want to release this in the US/UK one way or another...

It's just annoying that the Koch version seems so much more complete.

As I keep saying.... the extended cut on BD is already out there - I've had it for years! And it looks very good indeed given the slight drop in quality on the extended bits. I imagine it looks better than your old DVD.

Keeping my Arrow order. Koch release will all be in German too so that's a big negative right there for the tat.

As I keep saying.... the extended cut on BD is already out there - I've had it for years! And it looks very good indeed given the slight drop in quality on the extended bits. I imagine it looks better than your old DVD.

Keeping my Arrow order. Koch release will all be in German too so that's a big negative right there for the tat.

Thanks - just need to hope the Ballyhoo documentary becomes widely available in due course! The Arrow set has lost some perceived value but hopefully will be good in other respects.

Just frustrating if it basically came down a few weeks' production delay for a documentary that's been in production for 9 months or more.

Cancelled my pre order, I can wait for a standard release.

The documentary was the major new extra content, so cutting it, but still asking the same price is a bit cheeky. If they drop the price, or delay the release, I might re-order.

If I only wanted to see the movie in 4K, then based on recent releases it will probably turn up on iTunes for a fiver or less. The bonus features are a big reason to get the disk over streaming, since I don't care about fancy packaging or bits of cardboard in the box.

For anyone still following this, The Digital Bits says that the Koch set has been delayed until October to accommodate the Ballyhoo documentary:

And there's an interesting Twitter post from Ballyhoo here:

The documentary (plus an hour of additional features) is currently "exclusive" to the Koch set...

Also somebody further down seems to indicate you don't have to buy the super-deluxe 4K box to get it, even the "basic" set includes it.

Can anyone confirm? Anyone know a reasonably-priced way of importing this to the UK?

Found a couple of links:

Can anyone confirm whether these will include the documentary? Price is not bad, no idea about UK shipping etc.

For anyone still following this, The Digital Bits says that the Koch set has been delayed until October to accommodate the Ballyhoo documentary:

And there's an interesting Twitter post from Ballyhoo here:

The documentary (plus an hour of additional features) is currently "exclusive" to the Koch set...

Also somebody further down seems to indicate you don't have to buy the super-deluxe 4K box to get it, even the "basic" set includes it.

Can anyone confirm? Anyone know a reasonably-priced way of importing this to the UK?

Yes, the documentary is included with the 3-disc standard and steelbook sets. Seems to be exclusive to the Koch Film shop though, which (thanks to Brexit, I assume) no longer ships to the UK.

Dune - Der Wüstenplanet (Steelbook Edition, 4K-UHD + 2 Blu-rays)-1066455

Disc 3:
  • New extras produced exclusively for Koch Films:
  • New feature-length documentary "The Sleeper Must Wake Up - Making of DUNE" with many new interviews
  • New interview with actor Jürgen Prochnow
  • Featurette "Beyond Our Imagination - The Merchandise" by and with Brian Sillman (Netflix's THE TOYS THAT MADE US)
  • Featurette “Prophecy Fulfilled - Die Filmmusik” with new interviews with Steve Lukather and Steve Porcaro von Toto as well as film music historian Tim Greiving
  • Interview with special effects artist Giannetto De Rossi

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom