Dune (1984) Deluxe Edition (Zavvi Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Purchase link: Zavvi

Release date: 30/08/2021

Dune (deluxe_steel_contents).jpg

Dune (deluxe_steel_rigid_box).jpg

Special Features:
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
  • 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
  • 100-page perfect-bound book featuring original pre-production concepts and designs by Anthony Masters and Ron Miller, and an interview with Masters from the film’s press kit
  • Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original theatrical poster artwork
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
  • Limited edition SteelBook housed in Deluxe rigid packaging, both with original theatrical artwork
DISCS ONE & TWO - FEATURE & EXTRAS (BLU-RAY + 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) and High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
  • Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
  • Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
  • Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
  • Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
  • Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
  • Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
  • Thirteen deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
  • Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
  • Theatrical trailers and TV spots
  • Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos
DISC THREE – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY)
  • Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
  • Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
  • Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
  • Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
  • Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
  • Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker

Attachments

• Dune (steel).jpg
    Dune (steel).jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Dune (steel_inside).jpg
    Dune (steel_inside).jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Dune (steel_back).jpg
    Dune (steel_back).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
This sold out instantly, I had the browser open at exactly 3pm and even opened up live chat to ask why it hadn't gone live yet, how is that even possible? I could only pre-order the standard steelbook edition :mad:

Well it seems the chat bloke lied his face off. I've ended up pre-ordering all three to be safe, now I'll just have to cancel the other two!

If it beats this it must be some release
Seems to have the extended cut and that fan-edit cut and the soundtrack too. Will be difficult to actually buy though apparently!

Ordered the regular steelbook of this but the Koch does sound interesting. However unless I am reading it wrong neither of the extended cuts are likely to be in 4k. One can only hope that they are on Bluray and nothing worse! Although they do somewhat imply that their 4k transfer is unique to them.....

Ordered the regular steelbook of this but the Koch does sound interesting. However unless I am reading it wrong neither of the extended cuts are likely to be in 4k. One can only hope that they are on Bluray and nothing worse! Although they do somewhat imply that their 4k transfer is unique to them.....
Oh yeah forgot to mention - the Spicediver cut is SD!!! :rolleyes: So forget that. Ive got the Extended TV cut in HD(ish) already on German 2-disc BD so definitely sticking with this Zavvi Deluxe set.

Koch extended tv cut will be HD - just like the one Ive got I imagine.

SD??? I remember the 20th century!

If the extended TV cut is a good HD transfer and the 4k theatrical is the same as this release then it could be worth skipping this for me and ponying up for the Koch release even at its barely sub €100 price tag. Not interested in any extras only the films on disc.

Koch is rather moot anyway as they won't ship to the UK. Looks like we have to be content with Zavvi and theatrical 4k.

I think Koch are taking the wee wee a bit and just cashing in on the films cult status in Germany, considering they are stuffing what is essentially a webrip quality fan edit onto a disc and the poorly cut 'extended' edition that no-one other than those involved wants to acknowledge or have anything to do with it (especially Lynch). Plus everything else will be in German no doubt. So in all honesty I'm quite happy sticking with this Deluxe set which has plenty of extra content anyway, along with looking forward to Villeneuve's effort when that finally materialises.

I think Koch are taking the wee wee a bit and just cashing in on the films cult status in Germany, considering they are stuffing what is essentially a webrip quality fan edit onto a disc and the poorly cut 'extended' edition that no-one other than those involved wants to acknowledge or have anything to do with it (especially Lynch). Plus everything else will be in German no doubt. So in all honesty I'm quite happy sticking with this Deluxe set which has plenty of extra content anyway, along with looking forward to Villeneuve's effort when that finally materialises.

Hmmm yes and no. The TV extended cut is definitely worth watching if you're a Dune fan - I've got it already though. Its a good 41 minutes longer and for example, there is a whole fight sequence in it that was excised from the Theatrical cut. Plenty of extra dialogue too.

I'm certainly not saying its not worth watching for a Dune fan, but it's certainly not any kind of director approved definitive version even if there is a lot of great extra material worth watching. It's not something new and never available before either.

It's just a shame its not easy to source a copy of the existing OOP HD extended German release (which I have seen but sadly don't own a copy of), this is definitely something I would like to own but not for the cost. Given it's this German market Koch are targeting where the extended version has already been available it does seem like they are really milking it for the price, I have a friend in Munich I could ask to order it for me and ship it over but I still don't feel its worth it.

I'm certainly not saying its not worth watching for a Dune fan, but it's certainly not any kind of director approved definitive version even if there is a lot of great extra material worth watching. It's not something new and never available before either.

It's just a shame its not easy to source a copy of the existing OOP HD extended German release (which I have seen but sadly don't own a copy of), this is definitely something I would like to own but not for the cost. Given it's this German market Koch are targeting where the extended version has already been available it does seem like they are really milking it for the price, I have a friend in Munich I could ask to order it for me and ship it over but I still don't feel its worth it.

Yeah I'm not sure its worth what Koch will be asking for it. The German 2-disc Blu-ray is a bit pricey these days - I think I picked it up for £11 new back in the day!

My copy arrived today and I'm really pleased with it, both booklets are well done and have lots of 'behind the scenes' info. The Design of Dune booklet is full of pre-production sketches and artwork.

I would say it is well worth the money.

dune.jpg

It's a really nicely presented set, with the only slight flaw being the contents are quite loose in the outer slipcase and have a tendency to slide out, so care is needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom