Dune (1984) 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Watched this last night and this UHD is a perfect example of how a film should be done, wish Arrow would get the rights to do more of the big studio movies.

This is one of my favourite films, i first watched it on vhs probably when 1st released.

Just watched again recently on my aging hd dvd disc.

I plan to order the 4k disk, very soon.

Oh nice one indeed , there are times on this forum that remind myself why I joined it back in the day.This is one of those times when it all makes perfect sense to be a member here . Due to member input I have the what is deemed the best this film can look PQ wise .

Now time to change it up a notch :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , great times .

Last edited:
Ive never seen Dune wonder if i need t watch this or just wait for the Remake

Finally!

This was a great read, Simon. Being someone who has never read the books or even seen the movie, your words filled me in on everything, and I look forward to purchasing this! Thanks.

I loved this when it came out, I have the completed Panini sticker book of the film in the loft somewhere!
Beautiful visuals, great casting (bar Sting) and endlessly quotable. I shall see if I can pick this UHD release up if it hasn’t already sold out.

As much as I am looking for to the Villeneuve Dune I would rather have seen Jodorowsky’s version. I recently rewatched The Holy Mountain (love it) and it would have been amazing.

Ive never seen Dune wonder if i need t watch this or just wait for the Remake
The biggest problem with the film is the depth and complexity of it. I haven’t read the books for years but from memory it spans much of the first two. It’s a lot of story to pack in.
For those who haven’t read the books on first viewing it can be a bit hard to follow. I have found this from friends who I have recommended it to.
It does reward from multiple viewings and I would highly recommend it.
For me it’s a 10 but I can understand why people would score it much lower and I feel sorry for them 😂

Im sure Arrow have done justice to the film as is, but the film was for me a great disappointment, given the quality of the books i thought the casting was terrible. I am however really looking forwards to the new version based on trailers i have thus far seen.
i guess the problem is everyone has there own vision of Dune once they have read the novels, so any film will have to be outstanding to fulfil most peoples ideals.
So i understand many people will like the first film, just not me.

Great review and I think the scores are spot on.

Used to watch this regularly on VHS, I have a lot of time for it. Not perfect but lots to enjoy and a very unique experience. My copy is on its way

I loved this when it came out, I have the completed Panini sticker book of the film in the loft somewhere!
Beautiful visuals, great casting (bar Sting) and endlessly quotable. I shall see if I can pick this UHD release up if it hasn’t already sold out.

As much as I am looking for to the Villeneuve Dune I would rather have seen Jodorowsky’s version. I recently rewatched The Holy Mountain (love it) and it would have been amazing.
All I can see is an Atreides I want to kill..

I do not collect or buy Discs anymore .... But i could not resist this one ... remember watching it on vhs also with my cousin when it came out and was amazed and confused! shame that other doc is not on here, but a great release.

I recall watching this when it came out and really enjoyed it but I watched again last year back and it felt awfully dated, a lot of style over substance for me and in the end was grating. Perhaps at the time it stood out from the crowd stylistically .

I've never read the books but have enjoyed the mini series with William Hurt and I'm looking forward to the new adaptation.

I'm happy to leave the Lynch version in the 1980's along with Howard the Duck.

The biggest problem with the film is the depth and complexity of it. I haven’t read the books for years but from memory it spans much of the first two. It’s a lot of story to pack in.
For those who haven’t read the books on first viewing it can be a bit hard to follow. I have found this from friends who I have recommended it to.
It does reward from multiple viewings and I would highly recommend it.
For me it’s a 10 but I can understand why people would score it much lower and I feel sorry for them 😂

The movie just covers the events of the first book, it doesn‘t touch Dune Messiah or Children of Dune. Even then most of the movie barely covers the first half of the book. Although the early scenes are pretty faithful, it’s the horribly edited last 40 mins or so which cram the second half of the book into an almost random montage. Not Lynch‘s fault as he wanted a much longer movie, but it left it as one of cinemas great wasted opportunities, until now anyway with another hopefully more successful attempt to bring the story to the screen.

I still like this movie a lot, there is a lot to like and it is entertaining but I still can’t say that it’s actually a good movie overall. Still since the visuals are the best thing about it, a good 4K transfer is warranted.

I’ll be getting the German Koch Media release though, as it includes the new documentary that Arrow pulled from this release.

I’ll be getting the German Koch Media release though, as it includes the new documentary that Arrow pulled from this release.
Just out of interest where will you be getting it from? I really want the boxset with the other extended cuts on Bluray but can't find anyone, Koch included, who will ship to the UK.

I watched this years ago on Channel 4 I think....and loved it so much, I then read all the books by Frank Herbert. In my opinion, the greatest series of sci-fi books ever.

This was an autobuy for me, and I'm annoyed I didn't have the disc over the weekend, hopefully it will come today. I'm also looking forward to the new version coming out this year but only because I'm interested in another take on the matter (I enjoyed the SciFi channel series on their own merits too).

review said:
Dune was shot on 35mm film using Arriflex 35 BL2 and Photo-Sonics 4EArriflex 435 ES cameras, and has benefitted from a clean up and brand new 4K scan of the original camera negative, producing a new 4K DI from which it appears this UHD is sourced.

The disc presents an upscaled to 3840 x 2160p resolution image with widescreen 2.39:1 aspect ratio

That confused me. If it's scanned at 4k why is the disc an upscale?

Just out of interest where will you be getting it from? I really want the boxset with the other extended cuts on Bluray but can't find anyone, Koch included, who will ship to the UK.
I've gone for this one from the JPC link that another forum member found:

Dune - Der Wüstenplanet (Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray im Mediabook) (1 Ultra HD Blu-ray und 2 Blu-ray Discs) – jpc

There is a steelbook option for the same price, but I don't like them, so I went of the 'mediabook' packaging instead. There may be some VAT or something to pay, but decided to risk it anyway, and they do ship to the UK.

This was an autobuy for me, and I'm annoyed I didn't have the disc over the weekend, hopefully it will come today. I'm also looking forward to the new version coming out this year but only because I'm interested in another take on the matter (I enjoyed the SciFi channel series on their own merits too).

That confused me. If it's scanned at 4k why is the disc an upscale?
A mistake I think. If it is a real 4K scan, then of course no upscaling required, in fact might be downscaled depending on which exact 4K format was used for the scan.

I wouldn't expect miracles from this release, it's a new scan but not a full restoration. There are a lot effects shots using optical compositing that will always look a bit fuzzy just because of the process, and there are other shots that just have poor focus (some intentional, some not) and even a 4K scan won't be able to pull more detail out of these scenes. I am sure this is as good as it will ever look though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom