1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunce needs help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrmcdean, May 28, 2004.

1. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hopefully just a quick question.

Im hopefully going to get a Shuttle SN41G2 and wanted to record tv onto it. I believe that its got a built in graphics card, one AGP and one PCI slot.

Question: I want to put a Wi Fi card in the PCI slot which just leaves the AGP slot, cand I get a graphics / video card to fit in there to take over duties from the inbuilt graphics ?? or am I better of looking for a Shuttle barebones without onboard graphics and build from the ground up.

Sorry if this is a stupid or old question but I dont really have a clue which direction to go in.

Cheers

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    You could get something like an ATI All-In-Wonder card which has a TV tuner built into it.

If you will be pulling the TV signal from an alternate source and don't need a tuner on your graphics card, then a card classified as VIVO (Video In Video Out) should be on your shopping list.

It will also depend on your display device to some degree, and anything else you want to do with the machine (such as games playing).

3. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can do what i did and get a USB Wi-fi dongle thingy - haven't used the PCI slot and the dongle can be used on other things (laptops, etc) if necessary.

4. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the help guys, Ive heard about the dongle thingy but would this mean that ive got a compurter card sat outside the machine just asking to be broken and would I see a reduction in the connection / download times as its going through a USB connector ?

One last thingy while I have you here.... If I just got a machine with inbuilt graphics to save money now is it easy or even possible to put in another more powerful graphics card at a later date or would I need to get a new motherboard ??

Many thanks again.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    If you make sure that it has an AGP slot as well as the inbuilt graphics, then you will easily be able to upgrade the graphics card later on.

6. Guy Clifford

Guy Clifford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Shuttle SN41G2 recently and kitted it up with a Radeon 9600 feeding the DVI output into a TFT display. The picture quality was amazing but when I added a WiFi card I could get nothing out of the graphics card at all although the computer appeared to have booted correctly etc. No idea why this was as the graphics card works fine without the WiFi card and works in other non shuttle systems with WiFi cards installed. Weird huh?

Anyway you can easily get around this by using a cheapish USB WiFi dongle eg the D-Link model which you can pick up for about 20 quid. Just stick it into the rear USB port and you will never know its there.

the Shuttle SN41G2 has 2 VGA outputs and an S-Video output but the graphics quality obviously isn't up to a dedicated graphics card and only has 32MB shared memory. If you're not going to use the inbuilt graphics then its probably not worth getting that model.

The Shuttle SN41G2 incidentally has quite a noisy motherboard fan and although far quieter than most PCs isnt really in the same 'quiet league' that you might like if you want to keep it in a living area.

7. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Excellent, you guys have answered all my questions yet again, many thanks for all your help.