1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumpnig from Sky+ onto laptop.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Zog, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a need to buy a laptop for work, but also had the idea of using it a way of archiving a few programs that have been sat on my Sky+ for an age, and also possibly other regular recordings.

My question is what hardware do I need to look for on a laptop to enable this? For those that aren't aware, the most appropraite output on the digibox would appear to be the S-Video, but does this carry audio also ?

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spotted a few ads earlier this wek for media-centre type laptops. Unfortunately, I can't remember where, but I do remember they were very expensive. I'll have a nose around later and see if I can find them again. If so, I'll post the links for you.

However, I think you would need to 'play' your recordings from Sky+ into a capture card of some kind, and, depending on your quality requirement, this is where it either doesn't happen (because there are no suitable laptop capture cards) or costs you plenty (if the hardware is available).

S-Video is not the best standard; it's a tad better than composite, but not a patch on RGB. No, it doesn't carry sound; you'd need to capture the audio separately via line in on the laptop soundcard and it would be stereo at best, so if you've got DD sound films on the Sky+, for example, you'll be disappointed.

Assuming you can satisfactorily capture the Sky+ output to a laptop, you'd need to encode it in real time to either a lossless or lossy format, eg XviD, so the laptop needs to be pretty fast. You can capture the raw stream but it would create a gigantic file and consume all of your laptop's HDD space, assuming there was enough in the first place.

It's going to take a laptop with some grunt and features which are far from those included in a standard laptop system designed for use at work (depending on what you do at work, of course).

It might be more practical to use a PC, if you have one available, with a £25-30 capture card with S-Video and a soundcard. It wouldn't necessarily need to be anything much, really, to do the job.

3. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried this and rapidly came to the conclusion that a DVD recorder was a much simpler option. The computer reads the disks if you want, but I don't usually bother. The playback on my cheap Philips DVDR isn't much good, but the RGB recordings it makes are quite good played on a reasonable player or PC.

4. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the help people...... thought it would be quite a simple thing..... shows how much I know about computers :laugh:

Wasn't really bothered too much about the quality and definitely not concerned with DD.

Using this PC is probably a non-starter, both practically.... wrong side of the house and technically..... its not been upgraded in 2 or three years and even struggles with the USB ports I put in..... so yeh..... probably game abandoned and budget DVD recorder to be bought.