1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dump plastic speakers!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gargoyle, May 6, 2003.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Having just installed a dvd drive in my pc, I am now able to enjoy high quality video playback but found one major bugbear - my speakers (hercules 510 5.1) are perfectly adequate for games but are woefully lacking in the home cinema dept so I binned the plastic satellites and dug out my old jpw home cinema speakers (2 front, 2 rear) and bought a cheap gale centre speaker from richer sound.
    The resulting sound quality was nothing short of amazing with more depth, bass and detail.
    However, I currently use the videologic sonicfury sound card which is pretty good but would purchasing something in the region of say, an audigy improve sound quality significantly?

Attached Files:

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes.

Look at the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 though. Approx £90 and should do all you want.

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Retro-
    I've checked some reviews for the aforementioned sound card and I have to admit that it makes damned good reading!
    Definitley on my must have list, now, to compare it with the latest audigy..........

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why replace something good? Your Sonic Fury is a really good sound card it was way ahead of its time when launched and imho still competes very well with current competition... more than adequate for most purposes. Are you aware it's a clone of the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and those drivers (which you can use) are rather better than the Videologic ones?

http://www.tbeach.com/site/products/santacruz/producthome.asp
    and
    http://www.tbeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585ftp.asp
    for the drivers ;)

Unless of course you like spending.....:rotfl:

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    rct -
    I bought the videologic sonicfury on the basis of good reviews a year or two back and have had no cause for complaint - that is, until I purchased windows 2000 last year and on re-installation of the sonicfury drivers, found that it would'nt work with w2000k!
    Out of curiosity, I decided to download the Turtle Beaches santa cruz drivers - lo and behold, it worked AND its much better than the videologic drivers!
    The reason why I wanted to buy a new sound card is because if the opportunity presents itself for the purchase of a unit which offers SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER sound quality, then I'm sold but if the improvement is only marginal, obviously, it'd be money down the drain, in any case your input has put the brakes on my mad rush to upgrade - if I do decide to buy, I'll make sure they're demoed before I make that all important decision to impart cash.

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck with your hunt for the ultimate in PC sound... tbh I have demoed many of the recent so-called "audiophile quality" consumer cards and wasn't overwhelmed at all... and this was using same speakers etc. The higher S/N ratios and sampling rates become meaningless when used with a PC, which ultimately is a (electrically and often physically) noisy device.

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Demoed the soundblaster audigy at a local computer store today and my advice for anyone doing the same is this - make sure that the salesman does'nt use a pc connected up to a pair of sub-£10 crappo brand speakers!
    Lucky for me, I had bought my sennheiser HD 470 headphones and can conclude that the audigy output is clear, crisp and extremely detailed - just like my sonicfury so it looks like I'm sticking to my current card!
    RCT, I don,t know if your aware but santa cruz have released a new santa cruz driver which offers significant improvements over the last version - check it out!

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    gargoyle... told you our sound card was great ;)

Do you mean 4161 or the 4184 beta ones? atm, I'm using 4161 with my XP system... have you tried the betas? if so are they stable etc. What kind of features have they added?

btw I also have HD470s! Great for the price aren't they? Recently bought a pair of HD437s as a spare and they're pretty damn good for £20! (Bassier than the 470s too!)

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Bought the sennheiser 470's some years back, best £40 I ever spent!
    I also use the hd 435 vegas (prehistoric,but a favourite) and the HDR 45 - all good stuff!
    I had'nt downloaded any santa drivers for some months so when 3d techspot made a big noise about the latest driver (4184) with a multitude of fixes, I downloaded immediatly - the driver is very stable and the santa cruz interface is the same as the prior version, there are numerous fixes, too many to mention here but one significant fix is the ability to hear distant noises more clearly in games like quake 3 etc.
    Definitely worth checking out.

10. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that gargoyle, they're downloading as I write!