Quantcast

Dummy Question - What am I not doing to capture video?

motionman

Novice Member
OK, new to this so here goes!

I've an old Panasonic camcorder (NV-GS230GC) and some mini DV tapes that we recorded years ago. I want to transfer the recordings to my PC and then edit them so we can play them back to a TV screen. Simple!!

What I have done so far:

1. Installed a StarTech 1394 PCIe Firewire card on my PC.
  2. Connected the card to the "DV" (FireWire?) port on my camcorder, with a cable
  3. A download of the "Filmora scrn" software on my PC. This has a capture option that brings up a little window showing my PC screen, which will record what's on my PC's screen.
  4. I've tried starting this app with the record button and starting the camcorder's playback. All I get is a recording of what's on my screen (The Filmora app!) and no video footage.
Ok so I'm not getting this right, am I? What should I be doing? Can I capture the video from my tapes without it running on screen? How can I get the video to run on my PC's screen? Is software like Filmora scrn the right software?

If you can help then don't feel that you can describe things in too simple terms for me! You can't!

I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit on my PC.

Hoping to hear from you.

Terfyn

Personally I advise you cut your losses and get a professional outfit to transfer your tapes to DVD.
Ther could be a number of reasons that the transfer does not work. Are you using the 1394 "legacy" driver? Is there any sign that the video is getting into your PC.
My only "helpful" :facepalm:suggestion is that you download a free version of VideoStudio (30 days free trial) and see if the Capture oprion works using that.

motionman

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. I take your point about getting the pros to do it and I may end up there! I've got so far with this, plus I like to crack problems myself so I'm going to persevere for a bit!

I've found something called Stoik Capturer which is free and I'm giving it a go. I've managed to get some capture done, which I can replay but it stopped at one point and gave me an error message that it couldn't work with the camera (although it had been!). There is something called WinDV as well, apparently, which I've found and downloaded. It looks a bit more ancient but I'll give it a go!

Maybe VideoStudio next.

As for drivers, do you mean drivers for my FireWire card or is it something else? The StarTech folks said that I didn't need any extra drivers and the card does seem to be working.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
If you've managed to get the firewire working, that's the first big hurdle! On many PCs with Windows 7 or 10, it's nigh on impossible.

What are you intending to edit the video with? Pick something half decent and it will probably have the capture software built in.

motionman

Novice Member
The FireWire card does seem to work and allow me to download data from the tape to the PC used alongside the Stoik Capturer software. I can then play it back on my PC screen from the stored files.

Life always throws up issues, doesn't it! When I try to run a tape in the camera and transfer data, it comes to a halt after a few minutes and an error message comes up saying it cannot work with my video device (although it has been doing just that!) There is something that interrupts the process and I end up with a series of recordings that run separately for a few minutes.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Are they all the same length - about 4 minutes? That would suggest it is capturing uncompressed video and is hitting a file limit of 1GB. Some better capture software will probably overcome this and allow at least 4GB size, which equates to 16 minutes per file.

JabbaNut

Emerton

It will stop capturing if the stream is interrupted, usually by a section of blank or damaged tape.

JabbaNut

Top Bottom