1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dummies Guide to Bit Rate...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by JackFlash, Mar 10, 2005.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...so I'm a bit technically challenged, but I'm learning all the time. The thing is, I can't get my head round bit rate. I was in an AV dealer's showroom the other day and they did a demo on their new 32" LCD TV. They were explaining to me how good the picture quality was, and "proved" it by showing me the "bit rate". Impressed but bemused, I did some research on the net and discovered that bit rate was a measurement of how much audio and/or video info was being downloaded per second. That makes sense, but this dealer wasn't downloading anything, he was simply playing a DVD on his "state-of-the-art" LCD TV.

So the question is, can anyone explain to me in layman's terms (a) how important bit-rate is when it comes to picture quality on an LCD TV (b) how this relates to download times of, say, HD movie clips and (c) how this relates to a DVD player's ability to play a DVD movie at the highest possible resolution?

Thanks in anticipation.

Jack

2. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bit rate is how many bits per second a digital signal is given, a higher bit rate means higher quality as there are more bits making up the audio/video per frame. every dvd has a bit rate, how many bits make up each second of video&audio. the bit rate is not going to alter the resolution, the resolution is set at PAL/NTSC/High Def, it will however, vary the quality of the picture you are receiving. SuperBit DVDs offer the highest bitrate, supposedly.
    hope this helps!

3. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, i didn't see b... your download speed is measured by your ISP in bits per second (bps) the higher the bps the more bits you can download, the faster you can download something. the better the quality of the material, the more bits that material has so it takes longer for you to download, your bits are limited, the bits of the material will grow with quality (and length)

4. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in all, don't worry about bit rates from dvds on a 32" LCD... you won't see much of a difference I doubt.. he was just trying to confuse you I expect... What you want to know is how well a tv handles a bad signal (low bit rate), all tvs will look good with a strong signal (high bit rate)

if this doesn't make sense, excuse me... i'm a little drunk