Dumbass question.

B

Bandog

I had the Sagem Axium Digital DLP Television, HD-D45 G4, 45 Inch and I have replaced it for a Sony Bravia Grand Wega Digital Rear Projection Television, KDFE50A12, 50 Inch. The only query I have is screen size.

The Sagem is a 45 inch but has a quoted 114cm visible screen size yet, the Sony is a 50 inch and only has a 82.7cm visible screen.

Does this mean that the Sagem has a bigger screen?

Sorry for the dumb question, I am just a tad confused.

I think the Sony has 127cm visible screen. 82.7 sounds more like a 32inch screen

The Sony KDFE50A12 rear projection TV uses 3LCD technology to deliver natural, detailed and bright pictures. A unique high pressure lamp inside the television emits a white light that is split into red, green and blue beams by mirrors. Each stream of light is then passed through its own LCD panel, each with a resolution of 0.9 million pixels, and is then reassembled by a prism and projected onto the screen giving you an incomparably sharp 2.7 Megapixel image.
This television is ‘high definition ready’ which means it will have the ability to display high definition signals with the addition of a separate HD receiver (expected from late 2005). High Definition Television will be the highest quality of digital television available. It doubles the amount of scan lines to provide clearer and more detailed images than those available on regular digital or analogue televisions.

Audio quality: Virtual Dolby with BBE Digital

Auto setup: Yes

AV inputs: Rear

Brand: Sony

Brightness: Information not available

Contrast ratio: Information not available

Digital tuner: Yes

Dimensions: H82.5 x W118 x D41cm

Fastext: Yes

Guarantee: 5 years

HD Ready: Yes

Headphone socket: Yes

On-screen menus: Yes

Remote control: Yes

S-Video socket: 0

SCART sockets: 2 (RGB)

Screen format: Widescreen

Screen resolution: 1280 x 720

Screen size: 50"

Speaker output (RMS): 20W

Stand: Yes

Visible screen size (measured diagonally): 82.7cm

So you see, it says it is a 50 inch TV but with a 82.7 visible screen.

I think the sagem's visable screen size is actually measured horizontally and is more like the total width of the tv. The sony's measurements have been taken from the bottom left hand corner to the top right hand corner of the screen (this is how tv visable screen size is usually measured). It may look smaller but if you turn that measurement for the sony screen size horizontal it will be more like the sagems (I think the sony tv's total width is around 118cm).

I have seen them both and the sony definately has a bigger screen size.

Just measured it and it has an actual visible screen size of 126cm.

I think that must be a typo in Sonys info.

Cheers
Lee

Wherever you got that from, it's clearly a mistake. A 50 inch screen is 127 cm (give or take). Believe only half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

Thanks Lee

LV, it was taken directly from the JL website.

So Lee, have I bought a Lemon with the Sony as I had the brand new Sagem?

I compared the two and the Sagem seems to have much better connection ports, what do you think?

Bandog said:
I compared the two and the Sagem seems to have much better connection ports, what do you think?

Yeh I wish Sony would have put an extra HDMI port and an extra Scart on the back.

Cheers
Lee

the only reason all the sets have 1 hdmi is they have to pay fees just like when using dolby,the sockets the more fees.
it keeps the cost of the sets down for joe public :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom