1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb Q and new JVC Televisions

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rashomon, May 1, 2002.

1. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

This is a really dumb question ... but I'll ask anyway:

Dumb Question:
    ---------------------
    If I had a Nicam TV and a DVD player with 5.1 speakers, would I be able to view terrestrial TV via the DVD player so that the Surround sound would be used? ... or does it only work with DVD movies?

The reason I ask this is because I am considering buying a new JVC 28" Telly and will get a DVD player but am deciding on one of the following options :

Option 1:
    -----------
    JVC 28T25 - Nicam Stereo only ... and then purchase a Home Cinema DVD player - e.g. Sony DAVS500 complete with 5.1 speakers

or

Option 2:
    -----------
    JVC 28R25 - Dolby Pro Logic Surround ... and then purchase a standard DVD player

Any opinions appreciated.

Rash

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No! DVD players are not like VCRs - they don't take input from your aerial! Also, analogue terrestrial TV does not broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 anyway!

Even my cheap Sony DVP NS300 outputs DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 via an optical coax output so AFAIK all you need is an amp and some speakers if you want to enjoy full surround sound. Otherwise, all DVD players should downmix to basic Dolby Surround for input into your surround sound TV (or a hi fi).

If you want to use your external amp and speakers for analogue terrestrial TV broadcasts though, make sure the TV has audio outputs (the 28R25 does, not sure about the other JVC model).

Squirrel

3. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Squirrel - that clears things up a bit.

Mind if I ask how much you paid for your 28R25 and from where?

John Lewis are doing it for 649 .. but i've seen cheaper on the web (Empire Direct, Home Electrical Direct) ... but of these companies I dont know if they will price match.

Thanks

Rash

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Currys.co.uk for £585 (I had a 10% off voucher, actual price was £650). I saw it on Empire Direct for £499 + delivery though, but didn't feel like dealing with them after I heard a few bad things on various review sites.

Looking at Curry's web site now, they don't appear to sell it anymore, but Dixon's do it for £650 too (same company after all!). But I have heard good things about John Lewis from this forum though (do a search) and plus you would get a 5 year guarantee thrown in ...... I would've bought from John Lewis but they don't sell many TVs on-line and my nearest shop is too far .......

Happy shopping!

5. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Actaully, rashomon, Squirrel God's not quite right!

If you're looking to buy a Sony DAV-S500 as you say (which is an all-in-one DVD/AMP combo) then you can take the stereo audio outputs from whatever TV you buy and plug them into the DAV-S500. Set the DAV-S500 to Dolby Pro-logic and hey presto, Dolby Pro-Logic surround for TV broadcasts will be piped through your DAV-S500! Dolby Pro-Logic surround coding is carried in the Nicam signal, so that's all you need!

Don't buy a pro-logic TV if you're planning on buying an amp and speakers or an all-in-one, the pro-logic decoder in the telly would be redundant as you'll have one in the DAVS500 or Surround Amp if you buy one.

Also, the DAV-S500 will give you true Dolby Digital or DTS surround from DVDs, whereas if you buy the Pro-logic TV the best you'll get from DVD will be Pro-logic.

(Dolby Digital and DTS have Stereo Rear speakers, whereas Pro-Logic only has Mono rear speakers).

I'd suggest going for a Nicam TV and the DAV-S500. It's more expensive, but Dolby Digital is way superior to Dolby Pro-logic.

Hope that this is clear :)

John

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, quite right John! Apologies Rashmon, read first question in haste, hence my "off the ball" reply!

7. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks John and Squirrel (ace name by the way!)

Right,

I think I'll go for the JVC 28T25 and then when funds are available get the DAV S500 and start to really annoy the neighbours (and the missus!)

Cheers,

Rash