Dumb newbie video question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by ChilliChilli, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ChilliChilli

ChilliChilli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I already have a Panasonic HD camcorder and I am in the process of buying a new laptop.

My old loaptop was not fast enough to play the HD content without stuttering (not sure what the correct term is).

I have never edited any video before so I am a complete newcomer to this. I am in the process of downloading the free trial version of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite 11. I will look and see how user friendly this is and I am quite happy to buy it if it looks useable at my level of inexpertise!

My question is, do I still need to install the Panasonic HD Writer software to transfer the movie content from camcorder to laptop or will the Vegas Movie Studio program take care of all that?

Thanks in advance.

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276

Any software will transfer your video files for you including VMSP,all the best

3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The easiest method is to take the SDHC memory out & plug it into the PC slot. Find the files (they are hidden in a crazy file-system, but you just have to T&E under "Stream"). These files: "copy" and then in a suitable folder on your enormous HDD create a folder "Jan 2012" - bung them in "Paste" - each clip will show as one entry - these should play using Media Player, but don't expect the sync to be 100%.

If you can, get a laptop with a min. quad-core and 4G RAM (32-bit will match Vegas Studio - v11 - Production suite is a good choice IMHO).
    Ideally you need a separate Graphics card; as "integrated" means it will steal RAM from the processor . . . they don't tell you that! - DYOR.

I don't think camcorder's software is much use . . . . best avoided.

4. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    software is for editing true not transfer,if your laptop has a usb connection like pcs a card read can be used put the cams card in the reader then plug that in the usb slot and the files can be transfered to whtever drive you choose,this is what i do with my pc but my laptop has no usb slot not that i want to use it for editing.

5. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If the laptop doesn't have an SDHC card slot then you can buy a very cheap USB adaptor (£2 from Amazon) that will work fine.

6. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I'm surprised that an up-market laptop (ie suitable for editing tasks) won't have a card-slot (several) and USB. The snag with a card-reader(USB) is the extra time it takes. Far better to plug the card in directly. Camera USB are not fast, either.

If OP is still [email protected]
    - the ans to his last para... is I ignore camera software - plug SDHC into laptop reader....
    and Vegas Studiois fine for many things, but works best from files copied to yr internal HDD.
    ...Ideally he needs to have a large second int.drive, but an External eSATA port would be a good alternative, and you can swap drives when full, very easily. Don't use USB drives.
    That's my advice....FWIW. (also read Laptop spec, #3 earlier)

7. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    yes i know but i edit with my pc my laptops not powerful enough.Regarding card readers it takes no more than 2 minutes to load an hour of footage on my drive with one so its fast enough for me and for some reason the card is not recognised if put in my pcs card slot.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    USB3 is fine for editing HD (10 times faster than usb 2). I have a Medion 1TB usb3 drive and a usb 3 express card for my laptop. It's every bit as fast as a sata drive. Much faster than the C drive in my laptop.

If I find time I will post some results.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  9. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Useful, but I wonder how many of us have USB 3 ?
    -but I'm not sure about it being as fast as a SATA drive.... surely it is SATA and USB together, so there must be some increase in delay?
    I suppose the same applies to eSata but I was led to believe it's still faster than USB3 - although maybe that was developed to counter the eSATA tech.
    .....Some trial results will be interesting....

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Here you go. Laptop drives are generally slower than 3.5" desktop drives. My E Drive is one of the fastest laptop drives available. The C drive is the original

Esata is identical to the internal variety it's the same bus, just an external cable.

10MB copy C 2.621 seconds E 0.921 seconds USB3 0.717 seconds

If you want to check your drives for comparison

eXibition Software - Helpful Software at Great Prices

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Very few laptops can hold a second HDD, but most will have their single HDD partitioned so it looks like it has 2 or more. I'm also not sure how common eSATA is on laptops so USB may well be the only option for adding additional HDD's.
    It is still fairly new, but over time I have no doubt it will replace USB2.0
    as graham has said eSATA is exactly the same as SATA - it just uses a more robust connection as it is designed to be regularly connected/disconnected. Many external eSATA HDD's will also have a USB connection, but when using eSATA the USB port is not part of the connection so will not slow the HDD transfer speed down.
    SATA-II is 300gbps but a mechanical HDD simply can't work at that speed, so in reality neither USB3 or SATA/eSATA will be transfering data at the full rate of the interface.
    Hard disk drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Mark.

12. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Agreed USB3 should be to "only" one - but budget laptiops may not have been designed when USB3 was available (or the chips were particularly expensive, etc.) - whereas I understand eSATA has been arround some while - it's now difficult to get IDE drives. I have a few spares but now the capacities are not "huge".
    I have a fairly modern Desktop MBO, although it still has parallel port (if I could find something to drive it!) Win7 appears to ignore it. . . . .and no printer drives...etc. etc. - However, it has eSAT and whilst it has to be unplugged when Booting; it works fine afterwards.

OP was striving to buy a laptop _ I was suggesting he look for eSATA - that's all.... I agree that few have space (or power) for another HDD, so at least an eSATA option would be "almost" the same, in terms of performance.