1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb newbie type questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dfield2000, May 12, 2004.

1. dfield2000

Jul 16, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I've haven't got much understading of the different modes of progressive scan, so I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on it for me.

I've had a Sanyo Z1 projector for a while now, and I purchased a Yamaha S540 DVD player at the same time as I wanted PAL and NTSC prog scan to go with it.

When switching between R1 and R2 disks the auto select mode doesn't always work, so I find I have to select it myself. There are various options
    in the PJ's menu, 1080i, 720p, 480p, etc, but I find that I always have to select 540p for R2 and 480p for R1. Is this normal ?

Does this mean that all R1 disks are encoded in 480p and all R2s at 540p ? Is it possible to play DVD's in any other 'modes' ? I've looked through the menu
    of the DVD player, but you can't seem to change any sort of mode settings there.

The only exception to this was when playing my R2 Family Guy DVD - it let me select one of the higher settings, I think it was 1080i, without screwing up the picture. Is this something to do with the fact that it was originally aired
    an American TV rather than sourced from a film ?

Appologies if these question appear dumb to you gurus.