dumb Denon 1906 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jaymajik, Mar 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jaymajik

jaymajik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a simple question...

I want to connect my HTPC to my Denon 1906 receiver. There is no PC input on the reciver - does it matter which coaxial input i use (i.e DVD, TV etc)? Will be playing TV, music, films via PC.

Thanks in advance

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    For the audio signals, you can use any input - they are all the same. I've got my PC connected to the "tape" input on my Denon.

For video signals, you can use any input as well, as long as it's the right type of connector.

When you say "coaxial input", I assume that you mean a coaxial digital audio input? Remember that you need to assign the digital input to a device in the setup menus.

3. jaymajik

jaymajik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this.

My sounds card in the PC has both optical and SPDIF outputs - is one better than the other? Which should i use to connect to the receiver?

thanks in advance

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Some people say digital coax is better, some say optical. Since the signal starts and ends as electrical, coax should sound better. Optical means changing the elctrical signal into laser light, then turning it back into electrical at the amplifier. This conversion could lead to loss of information.
    On the other hand, the optical cable won't suffer from any interference, while a coax might.

I stick with optical, purely because a £3 optical cable works fine - no point in spending more. A decent coax costs a lot more.
    Unless you use very expensive audio equipment, or have a dodgy sound card, I doubt you could hear the difference between optical and coax.