Dumb coaxial question

DaveAnderson

Standard Member
Okay...so bit of a dumb question. I can't find my old copy of what hi-fi with the *basics* on connecting AV kit.

I am about to purchase a new lcd and dvd player. Currently, I have a tosh dvd player, pioneer AV receiver and Accoustic Energy surround kit.

I have two QED silver spiral co-axial cables which I got when I purchased the kit. The thing is, I have no idea whether I will need them anymore (LCD will be connected by component/HDMI) and I can't seem to find the answer after a fairly exhaustive search. The receiver does not have an HDMI output.

What are they for?

TIA...Dave

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Are they digital audio leads or a pair of RCA's audio/analogue leads?

Either way they will have a use for getting audio out of the DVD player as HDMI does not carry audio.

A

av2diefor

Scott_Mac said:
Either way they will have a use for getting audio out of the DVD player as HDMI does not carry audio.
HDMI 1.1 can carry Dolby/DTS but whatever you connect to needs to be able to decode the signal.

Reiner

DaveAnderson said:
I have two QED silver spiral co-axial cables which I got when I purchased the kit. The thing is, I have no idea whether I will need them anymore (LCD will be connected by component/HDMI) and I can't seem to find the answer after a fairly exhaustive search. The receiver does not have an HDMI output.

What are they for?
What where they used for, i.e. where were they connected?

just checked out my amp...forgot I have an optical connection for audio. Am I right in assuming optical is better than coaxial?
IMHO there is no audible difference between the two, instead differences are more of a mechanical nature - coax is usually more sturdy. Optical cables can however prevent a ground loop (where applicable) and the hum that normally comes with it.