1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb coaxial question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DaveAnderson, Oct 10, 2005.

1. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay...so bit of a dumb question. I can't find my old copy of what hi-fi with the *basics* on connecting AV kit.

I am about to purchase a new lcd and dvd player. Currently, I have a tosh dvd player, pioneer AV receiver and Accoustic Energy surround kit.

I have two QED silver spiral co-axial cables which I got when I purchased the kit. The thing is, I have no idea whether I will need them anymore (LCD will be connected by component/HDMI) and I can't seem to find the answer after a fairly exhaustive search. The receiver does not have an HDMI output.

What are they for?

TIA...Dave

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Are they digital audio leads or a pair of RCA's audio/analogue leads?

Either way they will have a use for getting audio out of the DVD player as HDMI does not carry audio.

3. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Scott...ooh not sure...how can I tell? they are identical to these <<www.qed.co.uk/cables/incon/qunex_ss.html>>. they say dual coaxial on them???

just checked out my amp...forgot I have an optical connection for audio. Am I right in assuming optical is better than coaxial?

Dave

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI 1.1 can carry Dolby/DTS but whatever you connect to needs to be able to decode the signal.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What where they used for, i.e. where were they connected?

IMHO there is no audible difference between the two, instead differences are more of a mechanical nature - coax is usually more sturdy. Optical cables can however prevent a ground loop (where applicable) and the hum that normally comes with it.