1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumb beginers question...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tonmeistermat, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw a thread about this some time ago, but I couldn't find it on the search thing!

Can anyone tell me, in order of best quality, which of these I should use to connect my DVD player to a projector...

DVI (component progressive)
    VGA (component)
    SVideo
    Composite

I've got a 10m cable run to deal with... is there anything I should be aware of? If I'm using progressive, should I run three separate cables for R G and B?

Ta!!!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Tonmeistermat

As ever the true answer depends on your Source and Projection kit.

Signal Path:
    DVI - is only relevant if you have a Source with DVI or HDMI out.

DVI - is only relevant if the DVI Input on the Projector is HDCP compliant; assuming your source is outputting via HDMI or DVI with HDCP.

HD15 (VGA) - assuming your Projector can be switched from RGBHV to YUV and your Source has YUV out and assuming you don't have DVI or HDMI out from your source then YUV via the HD15 Input on the Projector is potentially your best option.

S-Video - again only relevant if you have S-Video out from your source.

Composite - best avoided with a Projector.

Cables:
    DVI - can be problematic over long runs. I supply long BetterCables DVI cables and find these often work were other brands don't work.

YUV - as your potentially inputting via the HD15 (VGA) connector on the Projector your slightly limited as to what cable you can use (you cant get three runs of heavy 75 ohm cable to terminate in an HD15 hood) . I'd generally supply and recommend a VanDamme Red Series Mini 4 core wired for YUV with 3RCA connectors at the source end.

S-Video and Composite are straightforward - just get decent screened cables; again we'd use VanDamme.

Best regards

Joe

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tonmeistermat, do you mean YUV when you say 'component' or are you referring to RGB (which is technically also a component signal)?

The order, best on top, would IMHO look like this:

DVI/HDMI
    VGA or RGBHV
    RGB or YUV
    S-Video
    Composite

VGA and DVI/HDMI are mostly progressive, YUV (aka Component) can be interlaced or progressive. Note that RGB and YUV are not compatible.

Composite is best avoided with any display. ;)

4. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Phew, thanks for those detailed replies! As you say Joe, it does depend on the kit, but as I haven't quite bought the projector yet I can't say for sure!

Reiner, correct assumption... I am refering to RGB, not YUV. My DVD player has RGB via SCART (sadly not on physicaly separate BNC or phono connectors). Also the projectors I am looking at have RGB inputs (again via other wholes).

Thanks chaps... it's much clearer now.

Mat

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Tonmeistermat

Keep in mind your DVD player is outputting RGB+Composite Sync via SCART.

If your looking at a 'Presentation' projector with RGB In via an HD15 connector its unlikely to accept an RGB Video signal; the Projector will most likely be looking for RGBHV at PC signal levels.

I'd look hard at the Projector spec to confirm exactly what 'Flavour' of RGB signals it accepts and at what refresh rates.

Many Presentation and Home Theatre Projectors will take YUV (on 3 RCA or 3 BNC) - if so you'll want to install a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter between the DVD player and the Projector.

Best regards

Joe