1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb Arse question, probably??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lettuce, Mar 25, 2005.

1. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Right, am quite new to the whole 5.1 surround sound scene. Have just gotten my self a Sony DAV-SA30 system, to watch DVDs, and play my PC & PS2 through! I Am a bit confused as to what a Digitial input is??? Is digital input the same as optical?, on the back of the sony it has 2 video inputs and 1 output, one set of these video inputs is labeled as 'Optical Digital In'. Now i though Optical was like the single wire cable, pictured here:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore...de=PT0527&title=joytech_digital_optical_cable

But the connections for the 'Optical Digital In' on the back of the Sony are just the standard 3 AV sockets, Right (red), Left (white), and Video (yellow), not like the connect in link above??

So whats the difference between 2?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately your link doesn't seem to be working and I don't know anything about PS2 either but a digital connector is either co-axial (looks like a phono) or else it is optical (sometimes called Toslink)

Red and White phono sockets are for left and right audio and yellow is for an analogue composite video signal and isn't digital at all.

3. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try it now

4. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yeah thats what i thought, just woundered why it was labeled on the back of the Sony as 'Optical Digital In' ??