1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb Arse question, probably??, Digital Input

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by lettuce, Mar 25, 2005.

1. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dumb Arse question, probably??

Right, am quite new to the whole 5.1 surround sound scene. Have just gotten my self a Sony DAV-SA30 system, to watch DVDs, and play my PC & PS2 through! I Am a bit confused as to what a Digitial input is??? Is digital input the same as optical?, on the back of the sony it has 2 video inputs and 1 output, one set of these video inputs is labeled as 'Optical Digital In'. Now i though Optical was like the single wire cable, pictured here:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore...de=PT0527&title=joytech_digital_optical_cable

But the connections for the 'Optical Digital In' on the back of the Sony are just the standard 3 AV sockets, Right (red), Left (white), and Video (yellow), not like the connect in link above??

So whats the difference between 2?

2. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PS2 only has 1 Digital Optical output and thats it, everything on mine goes out through the av multi output through a scart(are you sure you've got inputs on the back of yours? I could be wrong as mine is an older model). If you wanted to connect using an optical cable (for sound only) you have to remove the small square-ish cover and link the output on the back of the PS2 to an optical inputon your Sony DAV-SA30 .

3. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is the thing, on the back of the DAV-SA30 its labeled as 'Optical Digital In', but its not the square cover type of connection its just the standard AV connections, right, left & video!!

[​IMG]

4. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange. Definitely no optical connector there :confused:

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,219
    I don't think that text should be there, especially since its the video section.

6. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Im starting to think the same, bloddy sony!, so what sound can i get through these AV inputs then?? Pro Logic, Pro Logic II, Surround???, but i guessing not Digital??

7. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You cannot get an optical input, as you have guessed, because you don't have the correct optical input plug. There are two types of digital input - optical (black square plug) and coaxial (orange plug similar to a phono input).

I don't bother having my PS2 set up optically because it is only advantageous if you are using it to run DVDs which have the 5.1 sound encoded on it. I don't believe there are many, if any, games encoded in 5.1 sound but it is a while since I have looked at the games (moved on to an XBox).

Depending on the decoders in your Sony system you should be able to get Dolby Prologic as a minimum and Dolby Prologic II. These use the analogue signals to give a surround sound. You would need a scart connector that also has phono leads attached which you would then connect to your amp. Then you will be able to experience Dolby Prologic II sound (if the Sony has it) which will provide good surround sound for your games.

8. lettuce

lettuce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    At the moment i have My PC connected to one set of AV inputs, and the other set of AV inputs are connected to the TV via 2 AV outputs on the back of the TV! Would i still get the same quality of sound when playing my PS2, with the Sony DAV-SA30 hooked up to the TV rather than straight to the PS2? or would i only get Dolby Prologic and Dolby Prologic II, if the PS2 was hooked up to the amp rather than through the TV?

9. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anything you connect to your tv via scart leads will have its sound fed out through the phono outputs of the tv to the amp. You will not notice any loss in the quality of the sound and will be able to experience Dolby Prologic II.