(dumb 1st post) is my new lcd tv rubbish or bust?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by CraigE1, Mar 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. CraigE1

CraigE1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

This is my first post here, so apols if I sound a bit dumb!

Just bought an LCD TV last week for the bedroom - Philips 23PF5320. Its the first LCD I've had & the picture quality is really poor - much worse than my previous albeit tiny 15" CRT.

What do I mean? Well its really fuzzy and grainy. Close up looks pretty bad - as you get further away it starts to look better & sort of watchable but still far from perfect.

I've got it attached to the "video sender" and the reception is quite variable on this, however I moved it into the living room and connected it to sky digital box directly via scart and its still about the same.

Just trying to figure out if this is all I can expect until we get HDTV signals from sky (or from a dvd player via an hdmi connector), if my telly's just kn @ ckered or if there's anything else I should be thinking about?

Any help would be really appreciated and sorry to clutter your forum with daft questions :blush: Not sure if its relevant but I live in a block and we all get Sky from the same dish on the roof.

Many thanks,
    -Craig.
    ---

2. lance23

lance23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, mines the same with SD stuff on it.

Guess we'll just have to put up with it til HD comes along.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    If you're using a video sender I'm guessing you have it fed into the RF / aerial input. That's the problem.

The CRT will be hiding the interference. LCDs are a lot clearer and show the image as it is.

4. CraigE1

CraigE1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for both your posts :)

this particular video sender actually uses a scart connection, by the way.

5. borland

borland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    scart connection but not RGB signal. The signal is composite anyway which is crap to begin with...

6. Prof

Prof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HD will come along, with a price tag attached. To watch HD on you Philips, you will have to have a Sky HD box installed in the bedroom. It will cost to have the box installed and probably £40+ per month for the subscription (if you are not already a Sky customer). I notice that when people comment on how the lack of picture quality on their LCDs, they often think that HD will be the answer. It may be the answer (if enough of the channels you watch are available in HD), but it will cost a fair amount of money. I wouldn`t mind betting that a lot of LCDs are being sold by sales people using "forthcoming HD" as a big selling point. I wonder how many of these sales people explain that HD will cost, and that not all programs will be in HD. It`s going to be interesting to see how the sales of LCDs will be affected when Sky HD is actually available, and we know the cost and the quality of the service.

I have installed a few Philips 27" LCDs (don`t know the model no., but they have freeview built in). I have usually been quite impressed by them, even though I`m not yet totally convinced by LCD technology.

Just thought of another (sorry CraigE1) point. If you get your Sky signal from a shared dish, you will probably need a second Sky feed for Sky HD, as it is going to be like a Sky+ box. Unless your Sky distribution system has two feeds into each dwelling, a fairly major upgrade will be required to the system.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    Two reasons why your new TV will be less forgiving of poor signal quality:

1: It's larger.
    2: It's an LCD.

For both reasons it will reveal more of what's wrong with what you feed it.

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    It's a HDReady TV..........at least from the Currys website, so the potential is there for future HD sources.

Have you tried a DVD Player, or XBox360, PC etc, these may help re-assure you?

Generally 1366x768 displays have variable performance with SD (720x576) feeds. The video sender is also likely to be affecting performance, its probably composite video, RGB is a better quality SD signal.

You could repeat the sky box direct connection exercise, but have the output set to RGB.

9. CraigE1

CraigE1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks RockySpieler
    Don't have an hd source myself, but will try and track one down.
    Will also try repeating the direct connection with sky set to rgb.

Prof
    You say you had a decent picture from a philips set up... what was this exactly?

Thanks again to everyone for their comments :)

-Craig.

10. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Sorry, but I wouldn't believe that if I were you. It generalises too much. I have Freeview (gave up $ky, better things to spend money on) and the pic quality is very very good on my LCD.
    The problem is that today there are so many variables to take into account.
    Any one of them could be the reason for a bad pic. However be lucky and get the right combination and there is no reason why you cannot have a wonderful pic on a LCD with a SD source....
    My commiserations to all those who have had a bad time of it..for whatever reason...

11. Prof

Prof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I believe the model in question was a 26(27?)PF7520D. I fed it with an RF signal from a distribution amplifier. The freeview picture was quite good. I have installed a couple of these TVs and they seem to perform well.