Dull Pictures on DVD with Thomson DVT1100 DVD Player/Freeview Box

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Carl Stock, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, everyone. :)

Does anyone with the Thomson DVT1100 Freeview/DVD player combination notice any difference between the picture’s brightness between Freeview pictures and DVD pictures? It’s just that on mine, the DVD output (the menus and actual films watched) is quite a bit darker (loss of contrast) compared with the Freeview pictures.

Would anyone say this is normal? I’ve had it for about a month, and it’s a great little box if anyone’s interested in buying one. I know some equipment can vary in terms of how loud the audio output is (which can be adjusted on the DVT1100) and how bright the video output is (which cannot be adjusted on the DVT1100, unlike some other DVD players). Would it be worth getting a replacement box in case there is something wrong with the DVD video output?

This even has RF output on DVD and Freeview, which is nice and bright with quite a bit of contrast, although obviously I won’t use that! I use RGB, which is a little dull on the DVD side but nice and bright with plenty of contrast on the Freeview side. That’s the problem – there is quite a bit of difference between the two sources in this box, but it’s maybe not enough to seem like a fault.

On the DVD side, whites tend to be a little grey, as opposed to the quite bright appearance of whites on the Freeview side. It’s as if the DVD side lacks quite a bit of contrast, making the picture look a little ‘dry’ and washed out. Both the DVD side and Freeview are set to RGB, and I have tried this box on two different TVs with RGB (29” and 21”) and a portable (15”) via RF.

If anyone could help me, I’d be very grateful. Many thanks. My apologies for this perhaps rather convoluted message!

Regards,

Carl :)