• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Duel sense charging station

MarkPJ

Has anyone managed to buy one? Where from?

They seem harder to get hold of than the actual console!

Amazon have a few of the aftermarket versions but I'd prefer the Sony one.

Brad182

I pre-ordered one from Amazon (before I managed a pre-order for the console).

It looks like Currys had some last week so maybe keep an eye on Stock informer?

spikecast

Got mine from currys very late on, fingers crossed it arrives on the 12th!

FevreDream

Never seen the point of these personally. Just use the supplied USB cable to charge it.

Flynch191

They look tidy if you have 2 controllers and very easy to just drop the controller into the charger.
Or it might just be my OCD. :D

FevreDream

They look tidy if you have 2 controllers and very easy to just drop the controller into the charger.

Fair enough, each to their own. :)

MarkPJ

Yep, a neat way to charge and store two controllers. The charger is also relatively inexpensive (if you can find one to buy!).

Brad182

Yep, a neat way to charge and store two controllers. The charger is also relatively inexpensive (if you can find one to buy!).

did you keep an eye on SI, I just checked and Currys had them available to order this afternoon. Hope you managed to pick one up!

MarkPJ

did you keep an eye on SI, I just checked and Currys had them available to order this afternoon. Hope you managed to pick one up!

I have been checking but I missed it. There's a few places with the controller but only " Cool Shop" with the charger for an inflated price. They look a bit dodgy so I'll wait for one of the mainstream shops to pick up stock again.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
After one of these myself. Didn't think I'd bother but fancy one now.

Ben-H

I managed to Pre Order one yesterday from Simply Games.. Usually one of the cheapest places around and have never had any issues with them.

Although it's now gone back to 'Register Interest' on their site..

Simply Games

Edit: Just realised i'd ordered the Venom charging dock, not the official PS one.. Order cancelled. :facepalm:

Big Starbuck

After one of these too. Can’t believe the scarcity of them. I’ve a second controller pre-ordered too so it would be handy for charging both at once.

Ben-H

I get as far as choosing the payment method and then get the message "we can't process this order"

They must have sold out again!

That's a shame, they must've just had a couple in stock. I added my email to the item so I got an email notification come through and jumped on it straight away.

Hopefully more become available over the next week for you guys...

MarkPJ

That's a shame, they must've just had a couple in stock. I added my email to the item so I got an email notification come through and jumped on it straight away.

Hopefully more become available over the next week for you guys...
Thanks for the heads up. I'm on their mailing list for next time.

JonJ

Does anyone know if the DualSense can cope with a fast charger/any USB charger? Not sure if USB-C means it can regulate the voltage it takes like some other devices. Can't see anything on the Sony site about it. Thanks.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know if the DualSense can cope with a fast charger/any USB charger? Not sure if USB-C means it can regulate the voltage it takes like some other devices. Can't see anything on the Sony site about it. Thanks.

I'd be massively surprised if it doesn't. I've been charging my PS4 controllers using a quick charger for ages.

JonJ

I'd be massively surprised if it doesn't. I've been charging my PS4 controllers using a quick charger for ages.
Thanks. That's what I'm hoping. But I did fry my PS4 controller with a quick charger in the past ... but could have been a faulty controller I guess.

MarkPJ

It's a shame the chargers are like gold dust when almost everywhere has the controllers in stock.

JonJ

It's a shame the chargers are like gold dust when almost everywhere has the controllers in stock.
I know, right? Nobody has them and considering how hard it is to get a PS5 you think they would have plenty of stock. Will post on here if I see any in-stock.

spikecast

I seem to remember the PS4 official docks were like gold dust for months. Thankfully I snagged one from currys and got lucky.

Ben-H

The one i ordered from Curry's last Wednesday hasn't turned up yet, so it must be on back order. Altough the initial email said delivered by the 17th November! 😤

Doctor Hades

A few random thoughts from having used my PS5 for most of the day yesterday:

o The console is definitely big and chunky

o My PS5 remained quiet and cool during use except when installing or verifying game discs. The former is noisy, on par with my PS4 Pro, but the latter is just a mild hum or clicks for a few seconds. Since you only install games once then this isn't an issue.

o PS5 starts up really quickly, like 2 seconds from Rest mode. V. nice.

o The Home screen and new interface are very nice, although the way the PS button now works takes some getting used to. Tapping it no longer returns to the Home screen (you have to hold it down) and instead takes you to the quick access bar instead.

o Operating system seems to be a bit buggy. Got lots of install errors when I turned it on with my 4 TB external drive with all my PS4 games connected. Seems like the PS5 cannot handle too many simultaneous downloads. This resulted in me accidentally deleting some of the games on the external drive when I used the Cancel and Delete option to clear all the errors. Deleted Red Dead Redemption2 and Ghost of Tshushima this way and probably lots of other games too (still need to check what is gone).

o The way the PS5 defaults to PS4 games is annoying. I was initially baffled as to why Sackboy was playing a 10 minutes graphic novel that I thought was an introductory cutscene until I realised that this was not the actual game.

o I accidentally deleted some PS4 games because some games showed both a PS4 and PS5 version so I thought I'd uninstall the PS4 version to make space, since I why would I want to play that version? I ended up deleting Spider-Man: Miles Morales this way. I would be better if the Home screen showed separate icons for the PS4 and PS5 versions in my opinion.

o Downloads were initially very quick - the PS5 internet test showed 212 Mbps down and 33 Mbps up on the Wi-Fi connection (of a max 420 Mbps down and 35 up) - but then slowed down to a crawl during the afternoon, no doubt because the servers were being hammered. This resulted in game patches for all the launch titles taking much longer than expected. Frustrating but not unsurprising, I guess, for launch daY.

o The DualSense controller is amazing. The haptic feedback is neat, especially in the showcase Astro's Playroom game, but I'd already experienced similar on the Switch so it wasn't that amazing. However, the adaptive triggers are revolutionary in my view; I was really impressed with how they worked with the springy section on Astro. Really, really impressive and coupled with the way sound and haptic feedback works makes for a really impressive controller. L1 and R1 also feel much less sticky and, thus, more responsive plus I really like the new D-pad. Feels much more comfortable and quicker to use than the DualShock 4's.

o Not had any problems so far using the Resume and standby features with the external drive connected. I did have one instance where I went into Settings > Storage and the PS5 did not show the external drive as already connected but games still showed in the library and there was no error.

o Ghost of Tshushima in Resolution mode at 60 fps!!! Wow, it makes Assassin's Creed: Valhalla look dated in comparison.

o Not sure if it's me but disc installs seem to take noticeably longer to install on PS5 than they did on my PS4 Pro as if the drive itself reads slower (maybe because it is a 4K UHD drive?).

o Loading times on the first party games is amazing. After the first boot, subsequent loads seem to finish in the blink of an eye! This does make the third-party loading times more disappointing though; why does Assassin's Creed: Valhalla need loading screens?

Anyway, this seems like a really great console so far although like with the PS3 to PS4, there isn't that massive generational leap visually. It's more a refinement of what we had before with higher resolutions and more stable framerates. Sackboy and Spider-Man: Morales all look fantastic on the PS5 but not a huge leap graphically (although the ray-tracing is nice in Miles Morales but you have to sacrifice 60 fps to use that)).

The big bonus is being able to run all PS4 games on PS5 which addresses wonky framerates in every game I tested. I think that really adds to the value of the PS5 when you can still play all your old favourites with better framerates and higher resolutions.

Doctor Hades

Does anyone else the message about connecting a USB drive when they go to Settings > Storage and click on External Device followed by a 10-15 second wait before the PS5 shows the drive bar and contents?

Just wondered if this is normal as it is not how it worked on the PS4 Pro.

I have no problems accessing or downloading games to the external drive so I assume everything is working fine otherwise I would have errors if the PS5 was only reconnecting the drive while accessing the Storage option.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett