Duel monitors?

bobbymax

Prominent Member
Reaction score
.just purchased a refurbed Dell OptiPlex 790 with windows 10 Pro and would like to add two monitors.
It has an integrated Video card and The back has two VGA or DVI type fittings, The blue one is OK for my large monitor, but I don't know if the other one (green) is OK to use for a second monitor, If so what cable to get?
Hope that makes sense?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

It looks like the green one is an RS232 port, but you do have DisplayPort so get a cable for that. DisplayPort to DisplayPort is best, but depending on your monitor's ports you may need DisplayPort to HDMI.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I've found out now that I have to get a low profile graphics card to enable me to have duel monitors, which I'm in the middle of doing :)

Make sure you get a GPU which has the connection you need for your monitors otherwise you will also need additional cables.

I have the same machine with a gt 710 connected to two dell 2209wa monitors, one is connected via DVI to DVI and the other via HDMI to DVI.

Make sure you get a GPU which has the connection you need for your monitors otherwise you will also need additional cables.

I have the same machine with a gt 710 connected to two dell 2209wa monitors, one is connected via DVI to DVI and the other via HDMI to DVI.
Thank you.
I took a look into the computer and noticed a pci slot, but the rear of the Dell looks like it has to be cut to fit the card.
The pci slot looks higher than the rear slot?
Did you have a prob with yours?

My one is a tower type one, which one do you have?

Think the do 3 sizes, SFF, DT and MT. My one is the MT one.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
My one is a tower type one, which one do you have?

Think the do 3 sizes, SFF, DT and MT. My one is the MT one.
Yes mines Tower also.
Smaller than the previous one with more spec, amazing little pc.
Not sure what model exactly.
But as said previously, gone for the splitter cable.
Thank you anyway. :)

If you split VGA, you will have the same signal on each. If you want extended screens, you will need to either use 2 outputs or Display Port. You could convert the Display Port to VGA if you wish however.

Yes mines Tower also.
Smaller than the previous one with more spec, amazing little pc.
Not sure what model exactly.
But as said previously, gone for the splitter cable.
Thank you anyway. :)

Cool, looks like you are sorted. Yes they are good machines. I am using my one as a hackintosh and works well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom