1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duel Layer DVD Burners

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Garrett, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    I do not know how long these have been out for but when looking a DVD burner for a mate I found they are now available.
    I was wondering if they can burn the right DVD blanks with the same software used for single layer DVD’s.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think the software needs to understand how big DL media is. The DL drives I have came with Nero 6 which does know, whether an earlier version would I'm not sure.

Be cautious, I have experience with a LiteOn 832s and a Pioneer 108 using two different brands of media, I have some pretty expensive coasters made with 3 different software packages. :(

IMX this technology isn't ready for prime time, at least as far as media reliability and/or drive media handling is concerned.

3. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..that and the fact that blank DL media costs nearly as much as the original movie does.

pioneers are usually reliable burners.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I tried 3 Traxdata and a Verbatim on the 108, 3 failed with sector errors, one caused the burner to lock-up XP's disk I/O needing a RESET. I burned 1 Verbatim with the LiteOn with 2 failures.

My only real use for DL burning is to produce combined versions of 2 DVD movies like the LoTR EE versions when I want to play on a DVD player rather than the HTPC so apart from the expense I wasn't too bothered .. the 108's a damned fine burner for SL media.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    I just wanted to archive some stuff off my camcorder and stuff I have on video tape and wanted to get them on as few disc as possible.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Fraid it seems you take your chances .. maybe I was unlucky to get a bad batch of Traxdatas, the Verbatims were first-run so they could well have been less than perfect .. sadly of course you only know if you've got a good 'un when it's too late to change your mind.