Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Duel Layer DVD Burners

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Garrett, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,677
    I do not know how long these have been out for but when looking a DVD burner for a mate I found they are now available.
    I was wondering if they can burn the right DVD blanks with the same software used for single layer DVD’s.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think the software needs to understand how big DL media is. The DL drives I have came with Nero 6 which does know, whether an earlier version would I'm not sure.

Be cautious, I have experience with a LiteOn 832s and a Pioneer 108 using two different brands of media, I have some pretty expensive coasters made with 3 different software packages. :(

IMX this technology isn't ready for prime time, at least as far as media reliability and/or drive media handling is concerned.

3. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ..that and the fact that blank DL media costs nearly as much as the original movie does.

pioneers are usually reliable burners.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I tried 3 Traxdata and a Verbatim on the 108, 3 failed with sector errors, one caused the burner to lock-up XP's disk I/O needing a RESET. I burned 1 Verbatim with the LiteOn with 2 failures.

My only real use for DL burning is to produce combined versions of 2 DVD movies like the LoTR EE versions when I want to play on a DVD player rather than the HTPC so apart from the expense I wasn't too bothered .. the 108's a damned fine burner for SL media.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,677
    I just wanted to archive some stuff off my camcorder and stuff I have on video tape and wanted to get them on as few disc as possible.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Fraid it seems you take your chances .. maybe I was unlucky to get a bad batch of Traxdatas, the Verbatims were first-run so they could well have been less than perfect .. sadly of course you only know if you've got a good 'un when it's too late to change your mind.