duel layer and prices

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ad47uk, Aug 24, 2005.

1. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think the blank media manufactures are now extracting the urine. It have been a while now, since duel layer+ disks have hit the market, almost evey DVD burner support these disks and yet they are still £2-£3 a disk, even in bulk.

To make matters worse, my Pioneer DVD recorder uses double layer -DVD, I can not even find any of them,

I don't know if the prices are cheaper in the states, so I can not really say if this is a case of Rip off Britain again.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    That's because there are only limited number of companies making them. The production of DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL and DVD-RAM is more complex than the producing DVD+/-R(W) and thus many of the Chinese/Far East firms that have been driving down the price of such media are excluded from the market. The same will be true for BluRay media - at least initially.

DVD-R DL is brand new and thus will start making an appearance over the next year or so on the High Street. Meanwhile you can pick up Verbatim DVD-R DL media (the only brand that seems to be available) at SVP. Do note though that DVD-R DL will not play on the majority of set-top DVD players.

3. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    These limtied number of compnies keep the price high, they do it on purpose a lot of the times. As for Blue ray, I agree that prices will be high to start with, but after 12 months they should drop, but I doubt it. Anyway; b lueray is a while away yet, it is only one of two systems.

As for DVD-R DL, why do it take so long for things to come over to this country? My penpal in the states can get them, but they are expensive, an email pal of mine in Japan can get them and they lower in price than they will be here. My pioneer is a set top DVD recorder and it will record and play to DVD-R DL,

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    It's horses for courses - we are one of the first country to be getting DVD recorders with built in DVB-T tuners so we should count ourselves lucky in many respects. As for DVD-R DL the market is limited - a handful of PC drives handle the media and so do new Pioneer DVD recorders. As more drives/recorders arrive so too will the discs!

5. konkon

konkon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can I only play DVD-R DL recorded on Pioneer recorder on other Pioneer DVD player ? (or just on the recorder itself)

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    DVD-R DL has much less compatibility than DVD+R DL. This is due to two reasons. One is that the specs for DVD-R DL has only recently been finalised and new players will hopefully be more compatible. Older players are probably not compatible. DVD+R DL has been around much longer. Compatibility is also increased by using bitsettings to DVD ROM.

I would say there is a good chance that the DVD-R DL is only playable on the rercorder.

7. konkon

konkon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for your good answer. Since I just bought Pioneer DVR-433 with Dual layer burning (DVD-R DL) I hope I can play my recorded discs on future DVD players.