Duel HDD enclosure for backing up and TimeMachine...

wellybob

Banned
Can this be done?

One enclosure for x2 hard drives; one for the TM and one to back up to (I also back up via the cloud to BackBlaze etc)

I'd want a 3TB HDD to back up to and a 3TB for the time machine, USB 3 etc...

Is this possible, if so suggestions would be great :)

Thank you

MacrosTheBlack

Yes that's very possible. Any dual bay NAS drive will do from the likes of Netgear, Qnap, Synology etc... Lots of these can also run additional apps that may be of interest too.

How many machines are you backing up? You are aware Time Machine IS a backup application too right? You can do individual files or a full OS X restore from Time Machine.

wellybob

Banned
Thanks for the reply

It's just for my 2012 Mac Mini, but want the extra back-up 'just in case' as well as the TM side of things too.

Re the TM, I just selected the drive and let the TM run and that's all I do, I don't select particular files etc... And yes, I know it can be used for a restore etc

Any recommendations for the NAS and HDD's?

I don't want to spend daft £££, but I do want reliability etc...

Thanks

mikelj

Do you need the extra back-up? What is the chance of both the hard drive in the Mini plus the hard drive holding the TM back-up both failing at the same time?

You'd only need a NAS solution if you were holding files (not back-ups) in an external drive, imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom