1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dubious Information from a Currys employee

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BenDickson, Sep 29, 2005.

1. BenDickson

BenDickson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had gone to Currys with my father as he was interested in replacing his dying CRT with a high definition TV. We were stood by the LG 32LX2R as it had by far and away the best Hi-Def picture in the store and I was explaining about scaling between the HD resolutions when a lurking Currys employee took the opportunity to pounce.

"Have you heard of a superpixel?"

"No."

"Do you know how the TV displays the different resolutions."

"It uses a scaler to..."

"No, it uses a superpixel."

"What's a superpixel?"

He went on to explain to me that a superpixel is a pixel with smaller pixels built in to it. That it uses these smaller pictures to enable it to display resolutions that do not match its native display.

Whilst this sounds great in theory, and seems to be logical, surely the complexity of such an arrangement, with millions of smaller pixels of different shapes and sizes would mean it would be far more simplistic - and cheaper - just to build a 3840x2160 resolution display that can cope with both 1280x720 and 1920x1080 without the need for pixel interpolation?

Anyway, my father wasn't interested in the technical side of TV and started asking about Sky's HD service.

The employee asked me what resolution I thought Sky would be broadcasting in:

"1280x720 and 1920..."

"1024 x 768"

"That's not a High Definition resolution. It's.."

"It's a computer monitor resolution. But its what they've said they'll be broadcasting in."

Now I went on to say that I had been following Sky's HD press releases with great interest, as well as monitoring forums (this one in particular) - and no where I had I seen anyone say they were planning on using 1024x768 but he insisted it was what they would be using.

I can't believe this is true, as the resolution does not use square pixels for a 16:9 picture, it would mean that broadcasts would have to be scaled twice (once to 1024x768 by Sky and then to whatever resolution the screen was that was displaying the image) - but I just wondered if anyone else had heard this. It must have come from somewhere, unless he was just speaking rubbish which I was beginning to think by the end of the conversation - however he did come across as more knowledgeable than your average Currys employee.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I think you already know the answer to this post - you've just been "baffled with BS", as the saying goes!
    You seem to have a pretty good grasp of it all already without having to listen to this sort of crap! Best advice is to treat all employees of the big chains with caution - there are one or two who know the score, but most don't. What's worse though, is that they then make the assumption that everyone who comes into the store is a clueless idiot - very annoying!!!!

BTW - from your description of what he was saying, it sounds like he was describing (in a fashion) how certain HD broadcast cameras work.
    No idea where the 1024x768 bit comes from though - other than the fact it's what some plasma manufacturers are using for their HD Ready panels.

3. BenDickson

BenDickson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I normally avoid store employees until I need to buy something for this very reason - but he seemed so confident in what he was saying and the only information I had was what I had read whilst researching on the net so it was possible I had just missed something.

The only place I had seen 1024x768 was on Plasma panels so had guessed that might be where he had got it from. Although I can't understand why manufacturers make screens that do not match the resolutions that HDTV will be broadcast in - unless they were products that were in development before the standards were agreed upon.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    BTW, to the best of my knowledge, nobody actually knows for sure what format(s) Sky will be broadcasting HD in yet, because they haven't said.

There's been rumours and guesses of course (some more educated than others it seems :) ), but the concensus (based at least in part by what eqpt they've been buying for their HD centre) seems to be that it will be a mix of 1080i and 720p, depending on the channel. I've never heard or read anything before which suggests 1024x768 (and AFAIK, this isn't even a recognised HDTV standard, at least not by the ATSC anyway, and I'm not sure it's even recognised as a TV standard at all, of any type)

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    I sometimes wish I was a muppet and could take the BS at face value. It can get tiring trying to argue with them. I'm normally a polite person but I do get tempted to be rude sometimes.

BTW, I like the idea of a 3840x2160 resolution display :)

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think it would be nice for people to be a bit more confident in their own knowledge and tell some of these prats what's what, it can be a pain being polite :).

7. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    to be honest with the range of knowledge they usually display I would be dubious if one of their employees told me the sky is blue!.

I must admit i do enjoy eavesdropping when they are doing their sales spiel to mr&mrs joe bloggs, if you dont do any basic research on a product or have an idea of what you are after, the staff see you as xmas come early.

I heard one employee telling a lady who wanted a laptop basically if she didn't get the extended warantee the laptop would more or less die after a year and she would have to buy a new one! Needless to say she left pretty smartish! :oops:

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The is only one way to deal with this lot, and I've done it many times. :lesson:

1. ask to buy kit
    2. refuse to pay for insurance / extended warranty
    3. keep refusing until they offer discount on price of kit, it's illegal to discount cost of warranties
    4. if feeling tough, say you still can't afford it and get further discount "I would buy your warranty but my budget only covers cost of kit"
    5. agree final discount price for kit plus warranty
    6. pay and leave shop
    7. telephone the extended warranty call centre and cancel warranty -- as is legal right of 14 day "cooling off" period with any insurance product
    8. get refund of warranty money
    9. laugh how stupid they are as a business and your excellent discount!

Works every time.

StooMonster

9. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    good idea ! ;)

10. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I think that their business model is only to sell to the clueless.
    I think they look for b/s artists as 'sales persons'.
    They have a business model that defies belief and yet their outlets are everywhere.
    (Barnum's dictum seems true).

Its not just the people. I strolled around a Currys a while ago after pciking up some stuff at B&Q - I got a but dusty so shook the dust off with a walk around Currys, hoping to earwig an interesting pitch or two. Looked a the PC (having just built one)....
    if any of you go into Currys have a look at the white spec cards under the PC.
    I bet you can't guess (without looking) what they say about Contrast capability.

I feel truely sorry for their customers - its obvious they mostly need help but they don't seem to get any from Curry's staff.

11. VILLAn66

VILLAn66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I overheard a conversion in Richer Sounds, Birmingham yesterday.

Punter: So why are LCD Tvs more expension than the equivalent size plasma?
    Salesman: That's because Liquid crystals are more expensive than gas. :rolleyes:

12. pixelpixel

pixelpixel
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    I made the step of buying from comet, never again. :(

I have a LG32LX2R and the only 1 MAJOR PROBKEM is that I CAN NOT get my SKY+ remote to contol the TV. <Please can Someone tell me a code that works>

Other than that Im quite happy with my TV that currys said they did not have, yet was on there web site. :eek:

13. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Employees like this actually put a bad name to those that work in the business and dont talk BS but base their sales on actual facts.
    Chances are if you go to a large nationwide store and come acorss some over eager spotty 19 yearold then be prepared for a BS session such as you have.

Id love you to take some print outs of this thread and personally deliver them to him and the store manager. If anything hes liable and needs to be repromanded, the store could be fined by a trading standards officer, thats another thing tell them your for reporting the matter to your local trading standard office.

btw 1024x768 isnt like a traditional 4:3 PC resolution if the pixels are shaped to a widescreen ratio/format rather than a square format common on TFTs. Many 37" Plasma and some 42" models use 1024x768 native panels.