1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dubbing question on Panasonic dmr95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 1439nick, May 26, 2005.

1. 1439nick

1439nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recorded the Champions League final last night in SP mode on the HDD of my panasonic 95. Afterwards i edited it, inserted chapter breaks and then tried to dub it to a dvd-r in high speed mode (to keep my own chapter breaks). Obviously as the match ran on to extra time it was well over the 2 hours on SP that i had planned, so it stated there was not enough space on the DVD-r to dub it when i tried. It would let me dub it in FR mode on normal speed, so obviously i would lose all my presest chapter breaks. Is there any way to get the match onto a dvd with all my personalised chapter breaks in tact. I thought you could use FR mode in high speed dubbing?
    Would be greatful if anyone could help?

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    High speed only works when dubbing in the same quality as recorded on the harddrive.
    The only way to get chapters on your DVD-R would be to use the divide facility and create separate sements of the match. Although these would not be Chapters in the normal sense, the whole match, when viewed, should run consecutively and seamlessly ( I think, - you could experiment first ). If this works you would then have the advantage of actually being able to select which chapters/segments to watch similar to a DVD movie as you would be able to create thumbnails for each segment.

Another option would be to dub the main 90 mins in SP ( with the chapters ) and the extra time, debates etc. as an additonal dub in LP or FR

3. 1439nick

1439nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much appreciated.. would the second option mean using 2 discs then?

4. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    No - Your main 90 min would take up 90 min (or about 96 min allowing for stoppage time etc in the two halves) keeping your chapters.
    This would leave say 24 to 30 min spare on the disc at SP quality. But by changing the dub quality to LP you would increase this space available to 48 to 60 minutes. Therefore you should be able to fit on the Extra time and penalty shootout in this space. If this is not enough space you could dub the extra time + penalty shootout in FR which would increase this space even further.
    As previously stated though, the LP or FR dub will not retain the chapters.

5. 1439nick

1439nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate, i'm a tad confused. Are you saying that i can split the 90 mins match into a seperate title, add chapters and high speed dub in sp and then dub the rest in FR and lose the chapters... on the same disk. How can i change the mode on the extra time etc as its all been recorded in SP?
    I appreciate your help by the way.

6. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    Yes to the first part of your reply.
    Regarding the last part.
    It does not matter what quality you have recorded it on your HHD, you can set a lower quality to dub it to your DVD-R giving you more space.

For example, I record everything to my Panny 500 in SP, but if I put movies or cartoons on DVD-R for the kids I set the dub mode to LP and get 4 hours of recording time on the disc. If it's something special for myself i'll dub in SP to get the slightly better quality

7. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    If you dub to DVD in FR mode (or any mode other than high-speed) you can create chapters directly on the disc before you finalise it. Just switch to DVD, press the direct navigator button and create chapters as you would on the HDD.

Note I haven't actually tried this but I have changed the thumbnails this way. I'm sure there was an option to set chapters as well but I couldn't be bothered - too time-consuming!