1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dubbing quality question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by errigal, Oct 22, 2005.

1. errigal

errigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Sony HX710.

If I record from TV onto the HD at SP for example, Im still given the option
    to dub to DVD in HQ (High Quality Mode). Im presuming however that the quality you dub to DVD cannot be any higher than what you originally recorded to the disk, therefore HQ in this case is the same as SP.

Is my theory correct?

From playing around with the settings so far, Ive found that recording to HD in EP (fairly low quality) is pretty good when it comes to playback from the HD, but if I then dub this to DVD in EP format and watch back the quality sucks.

--> it seems that if you want to record to only watch back from HD, use EP, but if you plan to later dub a program to DVD you better record it to the HD in a much higher quality.

Thoughts?

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi,
    Not got a Sony but same principles apply to other makes - yes you are correct in your assumptions , you cant dub to a higher quality.
    I use xp or sp when intending to archive to dvd.