1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dubbing problems on Panasonic 500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by EN, Apr 3, 2005.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tonight I tryed Pana 500 for the first time and I have some problems with dubbing.
    First I can't dub in high speed (I set fast dubbing to on in the menu), it says to choose another mode. On my SONY 900 recorder I can dub fast any title regardless of recording mode.

After changing mode just for test in XP for example, and it says it can't dub because the disc is invalid. I tryed two discs - one cheep no name brand and another from Verbatim.
    Same no name brand disc I recorded easily on same SONY and then played on Pana without problem.

Any ideas?

EN

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    I have the panny 500 too. High speed only works on like for like modes, for example XP to XP, SP to SP, LP to LP etc.
    I am only guessing but could the the disc invalid message been because there was insufficient space on the disc for an XP dub, or maybe it was not stored on the harddrive in XP.
    This is my 4th DVD recorder and it does take a little getting used to. The Nav system is less intuitive than the earlier Pannys and some features, notably the playlist feature are a huge step backwards from the old nav system.
    Let me know how you get on
    Steve

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is my 4th recorder too. First Panasonic.
    I recorded only few minutes in each mode, no more that 1G all.
    The DVD-R are blanks.
    I want to dub DVD in the original mode from HDD.

Any ideas?

4. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    If you only recorded a few minutes in each mode did you start recording to HDD, pause and then change the recording mode. If you did, this may be what is stopping the dubbing from working. If you tried each mode seperately you will have to dub each segment seperately.
    Are you trying to dub to Ram or -R

5. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To -R. Every title is separeted.
    The recorder don't read the blank disk at all.

6. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Its a bit of a mystery. I had a problem with cheap discs on one of my earlier machines, but you say you have tried two different brands. Have you tried formatting a disc before use. This is not normally necessary and I doubt whether this is the problem, especially with two different brand discs, but its worth a try.
    Coming back to the high speed dub issue, something occured to me. You say you set the menu to high speed dub. Did you mean in the dubbing options. Do you realise you have to set the machine allow this function in the set up menu (Manual - page 65 - half way down). This has to be done prior to recording to the HHD. The manual is not very clear but do the following :-
    press functions
    press set up
    press disc
    when in "disc" go to the 5th option down on the right side of the screen and change off to on. If you haven't done this it will explain your high speed dub problem.
    Good luck

7. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It may not be a disc quality problem other then speed capabilities of the disc, although some brands do quote speeds which they are not actually capable of writing in some DVD recorders.
    What Steve says about dubbing in the same mode that the program was recorded in is spot on too. This is becasue the machine would have to re-render the images to another recording mode before being able to write them to DVD, which would cause buffer under run where the information cannot be written to DVD fast enough. And this model will be a little more strict about this as it has the fasted dubbing speed around.

8. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve N,
    I don't quite understand what high speed dubbing has to do with HHd recordings, I mean in SET UP menu the option is for DVD not HDD. Yes, I made it prior to any HDD recording, but I think it will not matter anyway.
    On my SONY you just copy fast files from HDD to DVD.
    AV master, I want to record in the same mode as on HDD, so no rendering.
    My intension was to use another high quality player to compare modes of recording.

9. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Hi En,
    Just trust me on this - it is in the manual.
    Your Sony may have recorded in high speed, but the Panasonic will not - unless you change the setting in the set up menu as I described in my previous post.
    This is nothing to do with day to day settings or dubbing - it is something you set in the install set up menu once and do not touch again.
    If your manual is the English version go to chapter heading :-
    CHANGING THE UNITS SETTINGS
    on page 65, about half way down it says :-

"DVD-R REC for high speed mode
    When high speed transferring (dubbing) a title to DVD-R, it is necessary to turn this setting "ON" before recording to the HHD"

This is a setting that you apply once and leave set. I do not know why it is necessary but it is.
    If you don't you will not be able to dub in high speed.
    Do not confuse this with your setting your dub mode which you you can then do in the normal way.

10. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A as I said, I made the change prior to any HDD recording, so I can't be this.
    I think may be the recorder is faulty one, because it can recognise blank disks, and TDK also.
    So, I have returned the mashine, anyway it was too complicated and unlogical menu. Like NOKIA phones.

Thanx for the replies.